Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quick and Dirty test ride impressions

The ultimate criterion, of course, is when the cat runs and hides under the bed because he thinks there's ACTUALLY strangers in there singing.

The difference is quite apparent, in fact, especially in the HF; as Giskard suggests, "It's simply a non-issue...."

Run 'em two-way to discern and appreciate the qualitative difference immediately. It's not subtle....

So you sleep out there as well? I figured that!

" It's simplay a non-issue....Now we're getting somewhere..but its always important to let others make their own minds up to you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    So you sleep out there as well? I figured that!
    Well, no. While I suggested that the FR curve on the RTA was flat enough to sleep on, I don't actually do that....

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Mackenzie
    " It's simplay a non-issue....Now we're getting somewhere..but its always important to let others make their own minds up to you know.
    Absolutely. I'm not advocating anything, rather, merely reporting my subjective findings in response to Rob's question.

If this encourages others to determine for themselves, so much the better for all DIY'ers. There's a pair of 8-Ohm 4" SL diaphragms listed on eBay right now, in fact; they're also available in 8 and 16 ohms through JBL Pro Parts....

More info in this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3450

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Very interesting

I've not followed your Quick and Dirty thread. I've read this thread though, all the way through and find it extremely interesting. I really like the spirit in which you present your findings. That is a cool little lab you have there Zilch. I appreciate the immense amount of time and effort you've put into this ongoing project[s]. Gonna have to pay a little more attention to the Zilchster from now on. Here is a question for you. Do you think that it would be a benefit to try and integrate a UHF into that 2352 horn somehow, ala K2 ?. Silly question?. Dunno. What would the application of Dynamat to the backside of the horns do to control the unwanted effects of them being freestanding? Just curious. Thank you for doing so much R&D and taking the time to share the findings, again, they are very interesting, Steve G

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Here is a question for you. Do you think that it would be a benefit to try and integrate a UHF into that 2352 horn somehow, ala K2?
    Thought about it, actually.

Trying to find out what, if any, horn comes on 045AL....

What would the application of Dynamat to the backside of the horns do to control the unwanted effects of them being freestanding? Just curious.
    Jean discussed that when I tried some spray-on stuff. The answer seems to be "Box 'em" for starters....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=400

I've not followed your Quick and Dirty thread.
    Takes about a day to read through the whole thing, now that it's done.

Use the "Contents" if you just want to look at specific subjects there; left column is links to the specific pages/posts:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9901

Steve Gonzales

Unobtainium

Looks like a 045Be.'s horn would be the ticket. How about a small elliptical, no, not an 076, but a little bigger?. You've got enough on your plate, as is, keep it coming, the exchange of various ideas and information is the very best of the LHS!.

P.S., I just poured over that link, OMG!!. You really have done some wonderful tests. Nothing like hands-on to learn from. I was intitially turned off by the 2 way concept to tell you the truth, but I'm learning. I'm not trying to blow smoke up your a## Zilch, I'm honestly very impressed!. Thank you, gonna go read some more.

Thread Information