Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live vs recorded music

I thought that the sound for Zappa was terrible when I saw him at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium around '83.

BTW, in the old day, I was friends with Frank's drummer Terry Bozzio through a common supplie... err friend.

BTW, I was here:

and here:

And in both cases the JBLs in my living room sounded better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    In my opinion the people THAT CAN play normally have good live sound. One of my long time favorites, Frank Zappa did never disappointed me in all the concerts I was on.

lowell george was little feat!!!!!

Zappa's bands were great! The last time I saw him was when he did the Broadway the Hard Way Tour and first was for One Size Fits All. Saw him a bunch of times and I guess I was lucky cause he never disappointed.

Who else can be or is as good or better live??

David Bromberg
    Peter Gabriel
    Arlo Guthrie
    Gentile Giant
    Elton John
    Billy Joel
    ELO
    King Crimson
    Triumvirat
    Pink Floyd
    Metalica
    Rick Wakeman
    Yes on a good night
    Moody Blues on a good night
    Steppenwolf
    Govt Mule
    Steve Howe solo
    The Dixie Dregs
    Bela Fleck
    Early Genesis

Rob

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell
    Of course, in the truest sense, that's correct, but their current incarnation has been playing together for so long that they actually have a lot of good stuff of their own now, (in addition to still performing some real good versions of Lowell George stuff). But I agree - they'll never quite get to where they were with Lowell George.

John

Zappa was great..., just the sound in the room was terrible.

And to tell the truth, I've been to lots of concerts at lots of venues and while they can certainly be loud, due to room, or theater, or amphitheater acoustics, or seating location, or ..., none have ever sounded as good as I can produce from a CD/SACD/DVD-Audio using a Yamaha RX-Z9 in my own room. This is not to say that the musician's didn't put on fantastic shows some of which were actually listenable. The best acoustics/ overall sound, have actually been in the smaller venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Zappa's bands were great! The last time I saw him was when he did the Broadway the Hard Way Tour and first was for One Size Fits All. Saw him a bunch of times and I guess I was lucky cause he never disappointed.

Who else can be or is as good or better live??

David Bromberg
    Peter Gabriel
    Arlo Guthrie
    Gentile Giant
    Elton John
    Billy Joel
    ELO
    King Crimson
    Triumvirat
    Pink Floyd
    Metalica
    Rick Wakeman
    Yes on a good night
    Moody Blues on a good night
    Steppenwolf
    Govt Mule
    Steve Howe solo
    The Dixie Dregs
    Bela Fleck
    Early Genesis

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Zappa was great..., just the sound in the room was terrible. The best acoustics/ overall sound, have actually been in the smaller venues.
    That is exactly what my earlier post was about.

I saw Zappa at the Berkeley Community Center a couple of decades ago... it was a fantastic show and the sound was decent... The venue was on the smaller side.

Back in the day Todd Rundgren was an artist who was very particular about his house sound... and it was usually quite good.

Widget

It's a live show in a venue, not your stereo. It's never going to be as good unless it's an outdoor show and the guy on the board knows his stuff. Even then you will never get the focus imaging and balance you get at home. Kinda goes without saying. The best live shows have been outside or is a real small place with acoustic instruments. Once you go amplified all hell breaks loose. I missed the boat on this I guess I was thinking the music coming alive not really the sound. I don't look for good sound live anymore. Just bring earplugs and go with the flow. Best place for me to see a show is Jones Beach and Brookhaven both are outside amphitheaters.

Rob

Missed the boat???

I saw Peter Gabriel a few years back... a hell of a great show. The sound sucked.

I saw Pearl Jam, Todd Rundgren, Shawn Colvin, Neil Young, Ricki Lee Jones, and a pile of other bands and musicians all at The Greek Theater in Berkeley and they all sounded better than any stereo I've heard. It is an outdoor venue. The Shoreline Amphitheater is also outdoors... it sucks. A good room can certainly sound great, but I agree... it is tough for an amplified band to sound great indoors or out.

Then there is the energy of the crowd... you'll never get that from a stereo.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell
    I would have to agree he was the driving force for their musical style. I have most of their albums if not all. Robert Palmer used them on several of his albums as well. He toured with them on a regular basis is my understanding.

Great Band

Ken

it may be tough to sound good amped and indoors but i have seen it done often enough to think that it should be the norm not the exception.the biggest thing is a tendency to be too loud for the room.dont get me wrong ,i like it loud,but clear.

Hello Jim

The biggest problem I have had are the sound in the larger venues, some bands can set up and sound great others just plain rotten. Having your ears bleed just sucks all around. I have actually left shows rather than sit through it. Its just not worth it at least not now it's not. The other problem is the larger shows you may not have a choice on seating so it's hit or miss on the sound. I have the Nassau Coliseum and MSG as the two larger concert venues and both can sound great or lossy all depending on where you sit and the bands set up. Seems it's always a crap shoot.

Hey Ian remember how good Steve Howe sounded at the Downtown??? Saw Ambrosia and Asia there and they were so loud they only sounded good in the Mens Room. What disapointment that was. Here we had a small place where you know it could sound good only to get Ear Bleed. You would have thought all the people covering their ears would have been enough of a hint to turn it down. I felt sorry for the poor souls that were at tables and couldn't move back.

Rob

And now for something completely different-

Some metal bands were great live as they INSISTED on excellent live soundmen. I caught the Clash of the Titans tour back in the 90's; Megadeth, Anthrax, Alice in Chains (rare live show with Layne clean and sober), and Slayer all sounded superb. Tight, articulate, and clean with neraly flawless performances from each band. It wasn't too loud- just right. Great mix. All on one ticket!

At the risk of great humility- Jane's Addiction (late 90's) was amazing live. In fact- one of the best shows I've ever been to. The Rollins band opened (not the best live performance), and the whole mood was killed. Then- millions of white christmas lights lit up the sky- The smell of incense flooded the place, a subtle bass solo was building, and Perry took the stage- got nearly naked and dosed his entire body with a bottle of wine. They broke into song and it was pure entertainment the whole night long. Great show. Hot girls, too! Ah..memories...

Thanks, 'Dome for getting another great thread going. You have a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    ...Alice in Chains (rare live show with Layne clean and sober...
    Oh man, I would'a like to have seen that, I love that Seattle grunge sound.

Another live band that sounded absolutely spectacular was Little River Band, and that was at a county fair! Who would'a thunk... But, I can only thank a great sound guy for that fantastic mix.
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

How about recorded Live Music.

I just bought another classically, technically brilliant Live CD. Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr.: The RatPack Live at The Sands....Sept. 1963. Get this one....it captures the fun those guys had with a great band and a live audience at their place. The recording is masterful...the joking between these guys is hilarious and the pure talent is virtually unmatched. Five stars....well for me anyway
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Re: How about recorded Live Music.

Perhaps you should start a new thread about this topic. Sonically I don't typically like "live albums" as much as studio, but they are frequently more musically involving. I have many live albums that suck sonically, but I love the music so there you are...

I'll check the Rat Pack album out.

Widget

Thread Information