Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4345 Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    IMHO it is the most musical woofer that can also hold the title of being a true sub-woofer.

Years ago a HiFi magazine voted the 2245H the king of all woofers because of its special qualities. There are other woofers that may play lower but not as high, and then those that play higher but not as low, the 2245 is just right.
    I agree completely. My dual 2235H's sound fantastic but just don't have the extra depth of a single 2245H. I know the charts and specs say a pair of 2235H's closely match the sound characteristics of a single 2245H but having owned 4345's I found a 2245H just better sounding. Were not talking a huge difference, but you can hear it.

I would love to put a pair of 2245's on each side of these.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Maybe not so, Clark.

The diaphragms are available, and the replacement/refurbishing work is not too very hard. There are threads here "refurbishing your compression drivers" (I think...) that speak to it. The difference with new diaphrams seems audible, but I did not measure anything, and not sure one can - it is not frequency response per se, but the sonic/acoustic quality one is judging.
    Thanks, Bo! Subwoof, I think it was, said he had seen the 2421 diaphrams on eBay for as low as $90. I should look. The retail is over $200 now, and $100 for the slots. Each. I saved the excellent thread on doing surrounds - yours I think? - but I should have searched further. I think it was also your post about what a big dif the new dias made. Then again, some days I'm lucky I can remember my wife's name.

Wow, I'm listening to Sonny Rollins in Japan, Powaii. I think these are the best speakers in the world, no exaggeration. I have never heard this cut sound half this strong before!

I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound... Time to talk up the 4345's. Too many nonbelievers out there, you know. Ian is right as usual. Maybe we can encourage more members to build their own. I don't think they could do as well with other projects, listening experience wise.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    I think it was, said he had seen the 2421 diaphrams on eBay for as low as $90. I should look. The retail is over $200 now....
    Tread carefully... many eBay bargains are no bargains. If the diaphragm isn't JBL or if it was "lightly used"... I wouldn't pay for the shipping.

I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound...
    I've heard Bo's bigboys. They are quite possibly the best sounding JBLs I've heard. Of course... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... That was for you Bo.

Widget

Correct as usual, Mr. Widget. I already have decent sounding used components, and I hate eBay with some depth. I should just get a second job and order the parts from JBL Pro.

Thanks for the advice, Clark in 4345 Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Tread carefully... many eBay bargains are no bargains. If the diaphragm isn't JBL or if it was "lightly used"... I wouldn't pay for the shipping.

I've heard Bo's bigboys. They are quite possibly the best sounding JBLs I've heard. Of course... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... That was for you Bo.

Widget
    Perhaps you should have also added the new diaphragm warrenty is void unless they are installed by an authorised JBL service centre..

... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s...
    Dammit, you little Widget!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Widget
    Speaking of comparisons:

I "saw" you built a nice pair of 4355 clones a while back with Westlake cloned horns and flogged them off a time later.

Obviously they didn't rate a mention here against Bo's 4345's either!

Hey Bo,

Game over Man, Game Over, the 4345 rules the Lansing Heritage monitor series
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Seeing is believing

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Speaking of comparisons:

I "saw" you built a nice pair of 4355 clones a while back with Westlake cloned horns and flogged them off a time later.

Obviously they didn't rate a mention here against Bo's 4345's either!
    It isn't quite that simple. I think the 1200Hz and up range was better with the Westy and 2441, but below that the 4345 is definitely better. If you are into outrageous SPLs there is little to compare with the 4350/55... at more modest yet still crazy loud levels I would say that I do prefer the 4345. The 2202 really kicks ass, but it doesn't quite have the finesse of the 2122. My ass kicking days are over... these days I'll take finesse any day.

Widget

Bear With Me

10" more snap on snares.
    12" better horns, trombone, baratone sax. Weight, timbre.

Is this what you describe Mr. Widget. Cause this is what I find, but kept the 4350's.

chuck
    Last edited by Charlie4350; 03-10-2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Playful, but inappropriate comments - what's new

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie4350
    10" more snap on snares.
    12" better horns, trombone baratone sax. Weight, timbre.

chuck
    I agree...the 12" sounds best below 700-800, 10" best above 600
    ( IMHO - no debate please)

I always wanted a custom 4345 using both crossed around 700 or so

I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound...
    I tried to stay out of this, but the thread persists...

Your question is moot. Few get to trial these, so what is the point of a report? Anything said will be perceived as arrogant, and that is not the point. I realize how fortunate I am to have these.

All that can be said is, if they are set-up properly - and I think I did pretty well - they are wonderful. Nothing else comes close (except Widget's latest design which is truly stunner.. ).

The 4345's, set-up correctly, are incredibly efficient, astonishingly responsive and very honest (acoustically true). Even playing crappy source material they amaze. They are unlike, and a marked improvement upon, any lesser-sized or peer models. The 4345's are an incredibly clever combination of elements that present music in a most realistic way. It is goofy to single out any one element for praise - the 2245H's are huge, but it doesn't stop there. The realism is persistent from every component.

Every chance I get, I'm parked in front of them. TV dark, just listening. I haven't tweaked their EQ for almost a year. The new 2245H's continue to break in, and just keep adding to the whole.

As I say - the only thing ever to come close -for me - are Widget's most recent, incredible design. They come close - very close. But, I still would not switch. Not yet. I'm far too enamored with what these do.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thank you for posting that, Bo. My goal in starting this thread was anything but arrogant. Since so few do get a chance to hear 4345's, I was hoping you, Ian and anyone else who has given them a good listen would report here how wonderful they are, especially on a daily basis.

I notice the high DIY level of the membership and am hoping more members, if so encouraged, would build their own. I don't want to gloat, start a war about what speaker is better or put anything or anyone down. I want more members to have these in their own rooms. I am just a guy in Peoria who likes to listen to music. You, Bo, as well as Ian, Ken, Widget and anyone else who chimes in, unlike myself, carry some weight with those who might hear what you have to say.

While neverending experimentation in design is a lot of fun, I needed you and the other heavy hitters to tell how good these speakers are as designed, improved or not. What other project could be as rewarding in delivering musical pleasure? There may be others, but this is the one I know about and I wanted to spread the wealth, not hoard it. That is the point of a report.

For what it is worth, little old me agrees with everything you said, and exactly. Great description. Every chance I get - oh yes, in my case to the point of never getting enough sleep any more. I love the way Ian stated his case, too. I admit I was trying to draw the two of you out to offer your unique and knowledgeable takes.

Clark in Peoria

Thank you for posting that, Bo. My goal in starting this thread was anything but arrogant. Since so few do get a chance to hear 4345's, I was hoping you, Ian and anyone else who has given them a good listen would report here how wonderful they are, especially on a daily basis.

I notice the high DIY level of the membership and am hoping more members, if so encouraged, would build their own. I don't want to gloat, start a war about what speaker is better or put anything or anyone down. I want more members to have these in their own rooms. I am just a guy in Peoria who likes to listen to music. You, Bo, as well as Ian, Ken, Widget and anyone else who chimes in, unlike myself, carry some weight with those who might hear what you have to say.

While neverending experimentation in design is a lot of fun, I needed you and the other heavy hitters to tell how good these speakers are as designed, improved or not. What other project could be as rewarding in delivering musical pleasure? There may be others, but this is the one I know about and I wanted to spread the wealth, not hoard it. That is the point of a report.

For what it is worth, little old me agrees with everything you said, and exactly. Great description. Every chance I get - oh yes, in my case to the point of never getting enough sleep any more.

Clark in Peoria
    Mr Kent,

No need for me or Bo report as such.......

If yo ain't heard Bo's 4345's U wanna saddle for a few days ride and go hear'em.

Me, I flew over 12,0000 miles on the big Bird across the great Pond with a squawkin baby in my ear the hol the damn way.....and it was worth every second to hear em go, every second!

..With a few Large glasses of CA Red I have many happy memories....CA Blondes are an added bonus me tinks!

Ian

FYI...Below, Bo, Mackabags and The Widget

OK, not very many. 4345's - Buy or Build!

Well, it has been two weeks since I posted the call for 4345 owners. There is Bo and myself for "original" units. There is Ian with a homebuilt clone. I know of one more member in Colorado who has an original pair.

I am not too surprised at the count of three for vintage ownership, but the confirmed count of one for new units is very sad to me. There were alegedly one hundred original pair built, so three in membership hands is unfortunately low but realistic. It can be gathered from my posts on this thread that I would love to see many, many more LH members enjoying new 4345 units every day at home. That Ian seems to be the only one so far is, I hope, an inaccurately low report.

Are there any members currently building 4345's?

I don't know what I can do to encourage this other than to point to the posts on this thread as testaments to the rewards of having a pair of these. Personally, I don't think a DIY listener could do better. Even if only a 2" compression driver floats your boat, Subwoof has communicated how to do that with this speaker. (Personally, I think the 1" driver would yield a better balance and a more seamless presentation, but I can see it for fans of huge SPL listening.) I am sure that Ian's speakers are equal to or better than original units.

4345's - buy or build!

Clark in Peoria

Thread Information