Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D130 versus D130F for Fender amp--help!

EGO MANIAC!!!

I hate to put Dick Dale in the same category as Al Gore, you know, the guy who invented the internet. It's always disturbing when you put someone on a pedestal only to find out later they are full of crap.
    Thanks Edge and Harvey for setting the record straight for me. I still like his guitar playing but will listen with a more jaded ear.

Damn, this site is cool! I never knew there was so much difference between the 130 and 130F. I thought the F commanded more money because the fender amp freaks were all about keeping it perfect. Now I know why...
    A bassman loaded with 130F is a wonderful thought that brings a smile to my happy face!

Harvey-
    Thanks for your time and input here on the forum. GREATLY appreciated!

Edgewound-
    You rock. I had no idea you were such a guitar guy. Respect factor: up 10 points.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Edgewound-
    You rock. I had no idea you were such a guitar guy. Respect factor: up 10 points.
    Well I guess that puts my respect factor at 10 points now
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by steveokla
    Personally, I'm on the hunt for a brown Bassman
    a bit high IMO.....

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/138447135.html

usual disclaimers.....

Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    It's always disturbing when you put someone on a pedestal only to find out later they are full of crap.
    A very good friend of mine toured with "Dick" in the mid 70's on drums, the stories he told me were nauseating. That was 30 years ago and I'm pleased that I have forgotten most all of them.

I was reading in Fender's Frontline an interview with "Dick" in which he mentions that he doesn't make music, per se, but a "sound"...whatever that means. Heck, fingernails on a chalkboard is a sound...
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Well I guess that puts my respect factor at 10 points now
    I guess I still have a little further to go (but I'm working on it)!!.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Look at that little gem! I remember when Boogie took those little Fenders and ripped em a new @$$- I was living in Petaluma, California at the time and I heard some of the very first ones available. Wish I woulda bought one of those early hotrodded Princeton's.

Harvey-
    Thanks again! Nice to see a face...somehow, I thought you'd be much older.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Harvey-
    Thanks again! Nice to see a face...somehow, I thought you'd be much older.
    Hell, I'll be 69 in May. I started at JBL when I was still in my teens. How much older do I hafta get?

Many thanks to Harvey and all the others for chiming in on this thread. I'm finding this information fascinating. I'm also feeling confident now that I can use a spare D130 for my teen daughter when she swaps her Cello for a Les Paul later this year? (I was almost ashamed to admit I'd once played an EB-0 through my "home" speakers.) As long as she doesn't take the amp outside . Thankfully my 030 systems seem to have "weathered" the many college parties in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains where they played outside all day and all night, under cover of a porch when the rains hit. Thanks to you guys for building such wonderful, timeless instruments of sound.

RIP 2009
    Hey Harvey - is that the only shirt you own?

http://itrstudio.com/staff.html

John

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec

http://itrstudio.com/staff.html

John

LOL

that's cold....

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec

John
    Yup, it's the only way I could afford all the other toys.

Some times, you just gotta get your priorities straight.

Father of the D130F, et.al.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
    I guess I still have a little further to go (but I'm working on it)!!.
    Hey Harvey....great to see a pic of you with the father of my Marshall....oops ...made mistake with my original post...I have a Les Paul, too (getting old, sometimes sucks.)

You are way off the charts on the respect scale when it comes to this issue.

Your humility, down to earth demeanor, and influence for bringing the greatest musical instrument line of speakers to the forefront really needs to have the attention it deserves in the history books....it needs to be corrected on this site's historical archives, and the music world needs to know the true story...Credit cannot continue to go to that surf guitar noise creator...(It's hard to not say nastier things about him)

There needs to be a movement here to make sure credit goes to you, Harvey Gerst, Father of the D130F, on the the history of the "D-Series-F" designation of musical instrument-sound reinforcement loudspeakers.
    I think your influence is also responsible for the proliferation of JBL in concert sound, due to the added ruggedness of your modifications.

I have a feeling you might be a little uncomfortable with the accollades...but you are deserving.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hey Harvey....great to see a pic of you with the father of my Les Paul.
    Uhh, sorry, but that's Jim Marshall on the left, not Les Paul. I did meet Les Paul (one of my idols) several times.

You are way off the charts on the respect scale when it comes to this issue.

Your humility, down to earth demeanor, and influence for bringing the greatest musical instrument line of speakers to the forefront really needs to have the attention it deserves in the history books....it needs to be corrected on this site's historical archives, and the music world needs to know the true story...Credit cannot continue to go to that surf guitar noise creator...(It's hard to not say nastier things about him)

There needs to be a movement here to make sure credit goes to you, Harvey Gerst, Father of the D130F, on the the history of the "D-Series-F" designation of musical instrument-sound reinforcement loudspeakers.
    I think your influence is also responsible for the proliferation of JBL in concert sound, due to the added ruggedness of your modifications.
    It didn't hurt that I was the only guitar player working at JBL at the time, so it was a little easier for me to figure out the problems and possible solutions.

I did try to expand the line and add PA stuff to it, but I was turned down, but it did finally happen after I left. Tony Lowe took over the Pro stuff, and he did a great job of finally convincing JBL to start making some PA speakers. I built a couple of large JBL loaded PA cabinets for The Trip (on Sunset), which I believe became the Sunn Colisiums and the Vox Churchills, after I left.

My years at JBL were some of the happiest years of my life. JBL, led by Bill Thomas, really was a family. We were all passionate about what we did. Looking back, it was an amazing company, with caring people that were more dedicated to their jobs and to producing a quality product than any company I've ever worked for since. Letting a bad product go out the door was unthinkable - to anybody.

Hey Harvey, do you care if I throw your picture, with you 'n Jim, up on my website? I know there's a bunch of guys who would get a kick out of seeing the "Father of Loud" with the "Father of JBL MI".

Here's my ugly mug :

There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Thread Information