Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Northridge E series

She is all hooked up and running All I have left is a little wire mgmt.
    We will run it for a few day's then let you know how we feel about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

well... I can't wait to see how you feel about them. Just noticed that you're in Columbia, Mo.....I'm in KC...not too far away..

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    wow those speakers look tiny in your picture somehow :P, (must be the giant tv)
    Young, but i love speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    well... I can't wait to see how you feel about them. Just noticed that you're in Columbia, Mo.....I'm in KC...not too far away..
    I noticed there are several members in St,Louis and Kc area maybe we can get together and have some BBQ,and Beer or the liquid of your choice. We would like to spend some time listening to several different formats before we evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    wow those speakers look tiny in your picture somehow :P, (must be the giant tv)
    MMMMMMM big TV good

Quote Originally Posted by rockecat
    I noticed there are several members in St,Louis and Kc area maybe we can get together and have some BBQ,and Beer or the liquid of your choice..
    Another "Earthquake Country" cluster of JBL fans?

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    hmm but one thing bout those subwoofers, is i hear they have reliability problems with the amplifier in them overheating or something. Anyone know of this?
    Young, but i love speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Another "Earthquake Country" cluster of JBL fans?
    Well , we just moved from tornado alley , and I like my chances better with earthquakes we got hit hard twice in a three year period.

Smile There was one, but not the E Series

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    hmm but one thing bout those subwoofers, is i hear they have reliability problems with the amplifier in them overheating or something. Anyone know of this?
    There was an older PB series that had QC problems, but it hasn't been sold in some time, and a few members have had them with pretty good luck. JBL was aware of the problem and did a lot of fixing, but it's tough to fix a product that wants to break down.

Persistent problems often resulted in free trades for different JBL subs, but owners had to persevere to get it and usually paid shipping.

If anyone ever asks me about a PB Series sub that they can buy cheap, I tell them to run--not walk--away from the deal.

I am not aware of any significant QC problems with the E Series subs.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by rockecat
    I noticed there are several members in St,Louis and Kc area maybe we can get together and have some BBQ,and Beer or the liquid of your choice. We would like to spend some time listening to several different formats before we evaluate.
    I would go for that.

Ok, time to let us about the speakers

and to QwertyAccess... the design of the E-series is More thin..but that doesn't mean less...they are also designed to be used with a subwoofer for very low, strong output..

I've listen to these alot at a store here in KC and I'm really impressed with the subs and the speakers they're really nice...

I think we have run the system enough to be able to give you a fair review. I really thought it would be quite easy to explain but in reality it is very tough, I think part of the problem is that we are old school and have been listening to a good two channel setup so long that a comparison between the two is simply not fair and has no value since the object is to create a system to compliment video and their format's I would also like to mention that some comparisons were done at local stores and are purchase of JBL's was two fold the first being the fact we have owned JBL speakers for over 25 years and also that we were not impressed with anything in our price range that was available to listen to.

The Harman AVR135 is the soul of the system and performs quite well I am very impressed with the quality, I have owned two in the past and they continue to impress me especially at this price level. The 135 will easily drive the speakers to some serious levels and is extremely smooth all the switches work well and the setup was very straight forward. I found it hard to believe but it even rivals my old pioneer in pulling in radio station's. The only issues I have are the remote is not very good all remotes should be lighted this is very important if you are watching a movie and want to pause I don't want to get up and turn a light on to see the button's also the volume and channel switches should be rocker style I like to use my thumb on remotes. you are also required to run a separate video cable to use the on screen menu this makes no sense at all.These are minor complaint's and I would still give the 135 very high marks.

We are using E80's as the mains this was a good call they are way better than anticipated you definitely need to use a sub with them but even at low level two channel they will satisfy you I think are biggest surprise was the tweeters I can see where somebody might think they are bright bit I think they are just accurate this really freaks me out that at this price range you can get this kind of performance. I wont be trading in my old L series but I may find myself switching between the two depending on the artist for just listening to a cd.

The EC25 center is my favorite part of the whole system, this speaker is really above anything we listened to it really creates a sense of space and you don't feel like the sound is just being thrown at you I am just in awe at the price and what you receive it really makes you think that maybe we should throw the vintage stuff out, Just kidding we would never do that but it really is quite remarkable what they have done at this price level.

The E150 sub performs well I would not say that it is spectacular but it does it's job and at moderate levels it seems satisfied ,If you want to shake the wall's you should probably look to a higher level. my biggest complaint is the controls all the adjustments should be on top, having to tilt the sub to reach the controls is kinda silly.

Last but not least by far is the E10 rears what a cool little speaker they really create a ton of space, even at the front of the room you can still hear motion in a movie. I hooked them up to my old pioneer receiver and could not believe how well they perform for their size, plus they just look cool these little devils may just be the best bargain there is, if you need a little speaker for a garage or bedroom these are a great deal.

We definitely got way more than are moneys worth and are very satisfied we spent less than $1000.00 and I think even the hard core audiophile would enjoy watching a movie a with this system.

We would like to thank everybody for letting us share our room with you it made it a lot more fun.

Thumbs up Good.

Thanks for your update. It was a pleasure following your progress.

I'm glad you gave some coverage to the E Series here. It's probably the consumer line that keeps the rest of the consumer lines afloat.
    Out.

rockecat:

Great review..and glad you like the speakers..I think the E series a real bang for the buck..

When I mentioned that the E series were Brighter than the PS series in the mid range..I wasn't implying that the speakers were overly bright...just that with a comparison to the PS the mid range was a little more forward than the PS ( or maybe the pS is a little darker)...If you are JUST listening to the E series they do not sound overly bright...does that make sense??? The mid range is just brighter than the PS series...

anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying them.....that's what it's all about...

E series

when i worked at abc warehouse,we sold the e series,i was impreast with this line after some breakin they opened up,and sounded real clean.Sold a friend a pair of e90s he has hooked to a rotel rx 1050 stereo receiver 100 watts per. sounds very good.He did raise them about 6 inches off the floor that did make difference,in his room.enjoy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool
    when i worked at abc warehouse,we sold the e series,i was impreast with this line after some breakin they opened up,and sounded real clean.Sold a friend a pair of e90s he has hooked to a rotel rx 1050 stereo receiver 100 watts per. sounds very good.He did raise them about 6 inches off the floor that did make difference,in his room.enjoy
    ABC Warehouse, eh? That's where I bought my first pair of JBL L7s back in the 90s. Glad they're still carrying the brand.

At one time there in Michigan, I could drive a two mile stretch of Portage Road in Kalamazoo and hit three retailers all carrying JBL, including Highland Appliance, Fretter Appliance, and ABC Warehouse. Highland had a very complete selection and excellent pricing. They sold a ton of JBL in that area.

Now only ABC is there of the three, though a Best Buy opened up down the road, so there are at least two places where the JBL E Series is in stock.

With all the E Series owners out there, we don't hear much from them. I find lots of them on other forums, where I try to engage them, encourage them, and defend them from the "Junk But Loud" creeps that always come after them. So, I'm really pleased to see rockecat's account here.
    Out.

Thread Information