Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northridge E series

E100's

Nice setup rocket. I bought a pair of E100's last year with the intentions of using them for music. Loud music. I hooked them up to a PL 400II and adcom preamp and I have to say they did'nt sound like I was expecting from a JBL Floorstander. I have to agree that they do have a brightness to their sound. I think these speakers are more suitable for home theatre use than music. I felt the need to tailor the sound so much that I borrowed an equilizer from a friend for a while. I have since separated what little bit of gear that I have into separate music/ht systems.
    The Beech looks nicer than the black does for sure. I got the black because it was cheaper and I thought that I would'nt care what color they were as long as they were JBL.

RJ

Don't Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    A lot of us have never had the opportunity to see the Northridge E Series naked, so to speak.

It'd be quite cool if you could show us the drivers, the cabinet innards, crossovers, etc. Yes, this entails you carefully disassembling some things on your brand new gear.
    I eventually worked up the courage to do this with my then new Performance Series gear, even though the thought at first left me cold. The forum members as a whole really appreciated seeing the drivers for the first time.
    I just removed the screws from one of the e100 woofers and it appears that it has some kind of sealant holding it in. I tried to pry it out but it does'nt want to give up easily. Gouged plastic frame.:dont-know

RJ

Well the paint is dry on the walls and time to start moving stuff in. I will have everything in Wednesday and will start posting pic's of the room and initial impression's. I would like to tell you that buying a new sound system has been a very time consuming experience and very frustrating. We shopped all the local stores and listened to systems selling from anywhere from $1000.00 to $5000.00 and always walked away shaking our head's guess we are so acclimated to our old stuff that either we are closed minded or the stuff really was bad. At one point I was so discouraged and tired of looking I told my wife I was done, in a moment she said well we have been happy with our JBL's for over 25 years let's just buy them and I am sure they will be fine.Well having not heard them at all I was a little skeptical but you can only shop so long and we will try and give you a honest straight forward opinion in a language that will be crude by audiophile standards but the truth nonetheless.

Hey big stereo , did you get everything back together Ok ?

Pioneer727
    Pioneer and JBL L46's gotta love it I have a Pioneer SX-1050 hooked to L46's

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rockecat
    Hey big stereo , did you get everything back together Ok ?
    Taking the screws out was as far as I got. The woofer frame did'nt want to come loose from the box. They're stuck on with some kind of sealant or something. So yes, I put the screws back in and left it alone.

Pics of e100 xover

It bugged me till I tried it again and this time I got the woofer out.
    Here's the back of the woofer. And the xover inside the box

bigstereo

All tight! You are the man/person/woman/thing!

Thanks for following through.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer1050
    Pioneer and JBL L46's gotta love it I have a Pioneer SX-1050 hooked to L46's

Ron
    Very cool ,you have one of the big Mo's I would guess at the volume at 9 o'clock the 46's are singing and breathing .I know my 950 working both set's is very happy to accommodate.

LOL! Man/woman/thing.
    My name is Richard. Friends call me RJ

Thumbs up MAN it is!

Way to go Richard.

Now, I'd love to see the backside of that tweeter. I'll bet it says "Made in France." Hopefully there's an actual gasket behind it and not just that black JBL sealant.
    Out.

Yes that's correct, just a gasket. I had to take one out the second week I had the speakers. Had the high freq's boosted too much with an equilizer that is gone now, and the Phase 400 turned up about two thirds must've cooked it. But I can do no more disassembly tonight because I have to go to work in a bit. Maybe tommorrow.

RJ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Way to go Richard.

Now, I'd love to see the backside of that tweeter. I'll bet it says "Made in France." Hopefully there's an actual gasket behind it and not just that black JBL sealant.
    Hey TD, 2000 post, man that is a is a whole lot of I have no doubt the best is yet to come.

Time for an update, I woke up early since UPS is supposed to show up today with the rest of the goodies and figured I would get a head start on getting the room together. everything was going well until I tried to mount the left rear speaker this room is in my basement and the speaker needs to be mounted above access to storage underneath the stairs. There is a sub-floor above the sheet rock ceiling of the storage room and without knowing for sure there is no way I will drill into it. So for the time being I will have four inches of wire showing

Here is some pic's of todays progress so far , now I need some food and advill. Hopefully UPS will show soon so I can finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thumbs up Looks like a great room.

I can already feel the good times and warm emotions that your room will bring. Well done! You must be very excited.
    Out.

Thread Information