Thread: Northridge E series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Northridge E series

The new surround system is on the way and we are looking forward to sharing our experience with everybody, I use the word we because my wife will be sharing her thoughts also. Both of us really have enjoy this website and would like to share our experience with you. Our love for music and movies is equally shared.

Our criteria was to put together a system that will satisfy us and not break the bank, we set our dollar limit at $2000.00. We understand that this will not give us sonic bliss, however we hope to have a system that we will will enjoy and will give us many years of enjoyment.

Ok here is what we purchsaed and what it cost, I have included the retail price and the actual cost all item's were purchased from JBL direct from there e-bay sales.

Item Retail Cost
    E80 front's 496.00 215.00
    E150 Sub 399.00 157.51
    E10 rear's 198.00 53.99
    EC25 center 249.00 77.33
    AVR135 reciever 399.00 201.50
    Total 1741.00 705.33

Shipping 148.00

Grand total 853.33

Hello, and nice to have you both here!
    What I think is that you will enjoy the system. Sure, you can always go up, but if you don't sit there and think about/listen to/analyze the gear all the time, you are bound to find that you got WAY more than $850 worth of enjoyment. The gear should be a means to an end. It IS a hobby of diminishing returns. Thanks for posting.
    MBB

Talking Good! Good! Good!

Well done, rockecat. While the Northrideg E Series gets little mention around here, it one of the best--if not the best--bang for the buck systems on the consumer market. The E Series is the most flexible, expandable, and growable line around.

If in the future you decide to upgrade, you can upgrade the fronts and move the E80s to the surrounds for a whole "new" system without having to buy a whole new system.

Now to temper my praise with a little advice: the first two things to upgrade are the EC25 with the EC35, and replace the E150 with the E250. These changes will improve your system to a degree you can't imagine until you do it. Start saving!!

In the meantime, enjoy your system. Look at my avatar, then look at your tweeters. That's the TD Stamp of Approval®.
    Out.

Well done rockecat! Less than half retail and under 0.9G including shipping!
    Paying debt to Karma...

Nice deal !

Hello rockecat (the 2 of you) ! Hope you enjoy ! Nothing like the smell of new electronics fired up for the first time ! OK, besides the sound...

Titanium Dome: I was scoping the EC25 and 35 for a center - how would they blend with "old school" L-112's
    (fronts) and L-110 (rears) ? Or should I stay with an older type with similar tweets ?

Nice system - and for under 900 - what a sweet deal!

I've got mostly older gear in my system, but I did get an EC25 center speaker (Beech - to match my IKEA shelf system) when I added a center channel to my system earlier this year (over the Philips HDTV in my Avatar image).
    It works fairly well with my old L36 Decades (circa 1976) for the front sound field when watching TV and movies & such. I do drop to 2 channel mode when playing music. I'm not sure what the EC25 will sound like when I finish redoing the JBL 3420 speakers) currently on the floor) and put on top of the shelf where the L36s are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Now to temper my praise with a little advice: the first two things to upgrade are the EC25 with the EC35, and replace the E150 with the E250. These changes will improve your system to a degree you can't imagine until you do it. Start saving!!
    Hey, TiDome - does the EC35 make THAT much of a difference over the EC25? I'd hate to block any more of the window with a bigger speaker box if I didn't have to ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

rockecat:

Congrads on your purhase ...the E-series REALLY has a lot going for it. New speakers don't get much respect on the forum, but as Dome said they are the most bang for the buck speakers out there..and the fact that you got them at that price is a STEAL!!!!.... I'm not just saying this either..

In case you don't know me I've been listening to JBL's for almost 47 years and while I appreciate the older stuff I love NEW speakers more...

There's a place in KC here that has a complete JBL room and has a Complete E-series HT setup next to a Performance series HT...I've spent HOURS and HOURS listening to the difference between the two; music - movies, music DVD's etc( you can switch by touching a computer screen - instant change) with all kinds of music and let me say this...

The E-series flat out gives the performance series a real run for it's money..A *&^*& SERIOUS RUN..I know that may not go over to well here with some members but it's the truth ( that's why I never said it here before)...Yes, there are differences..At first blush the E-series sounds brighter - esp. in the mid-range and upper mid-bass ( and you say to yourself - damn that's better than the performance series - kind of what may be happening to Johneau with his 4315A to XPL200 comparison)

It's only after listening for a little longer ( and I mean really listening) that you start to see the advanage of the performances series - BUT - That type of listening is not how we listen when we enjoy music or movies...I may say more about this in another thread ( Performance series)

Bottom-line is this..you got a great pair of speakers, at a really great price....The E-series are flat out TOP performers in my opinion..if I didn't have the Studio series I'll be getting some.

enjoy

I'll just say one more thing in general....when it comes to speakers NO One knows more than JBL and GT and his crew in particular.

When you buy a pair of JBL's you are getting your money's worth - no doubt - and it doesn't matter if you spend a $1000 or $30,000 your getting the best deal in that price range.

Pioneer727
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I'll just say one more thing in general....when it comes to speakers NO One knows more than JBL and GT and his crew in particular.

When you buy a pair of JBL's you are getting your money's worth - no doubt - and it doesn't matter if you spend a $1000 or $30,000 your getting the best deal in that price range.
    BRAVO

Ron

Smile EC25 vs. EC35

One must always state up front "You have to listen for yourself." Don't simply take my word for it.

Having said that, I'll say that the EC35 is in a whole different category. The 3" midrange takes over at 800Hz and goes to 3200Hz, while in the EC25, the 5" woofers have to cover all the way to 4000Hz. That's a heck of a load for 5" speakers, and the midrange suffers. The EC35 has significantly more presence and clarity in the mids, especially on dialog.
    Out.

Thread Information