Thread: found JBL 2231H woofers in my attic

found JBL 2231H woofers in my attic

These have got to be 30 yearsw old at least. Never used, surrounds need to be replaced. Once upon a time I was going to make some Belle Klipsch folded corner horns. Now I am thinking of fixing them and using them in a 3-way speaker. Any suggestions on size or shape? I would also like to get the specs, Q and V factors if anyone knows. I checked the library but the sheet only says volume 3 - 5 cubic ft and crossover at 800 hz.

If they're really 30 years old, I'll assume the magnets are Alnico. Look for specs on the 136A; it's the consumer version of the same woofer.

David

2231H parameters are all included in the WinISD program available on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmolner
    These have got to be 30 yearsw old at least. Never used, surrounds need to be replaced. Once upon a time I was going to make some Belle Klipsch folded corner horns. Now I am thinking of fixing them and using them in a 3-way speaker. Any suggestions on size or shape? I would also like to get the specs, Q and V factors if anyone knows. I checked the library but the sheet only says volume 3 - 5 cubic ft and crossover at 800 hz.

jcdahl

Lucky Guy

I have looked and looked in my attic but all I can find is dust and spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdahl
    I have looked and looked in my attic but all I can find is dust and spiders.
    Where do they put those? Did they put them in all attics?
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by dmmolner
    check they way you stored them. I bought a pair that were stored horizontally and the spider had sagged. No edge replacement was going to fix that so I had them reconed with 2235 cones [as recommended by JBL].

frank

They were in the original boxes and hadn't been moved. Cones appear in good shape. Thanks for the advice on the program, I now have all the parameters I need to start my design. Does anyone know about rules for shaped woofer cabinets? Say like sloped sides or back? I was thinking that since the belle had been a folded horn, I might be able to make the speaker sculptural as well as functual.

Well that depends on your woodworking skills. Designing a system with fancy sides for acoustic benefit is largely a trial and error unless you have sophisticated software, a sound chamber, and a degree of experience to guide you. If it is your first project go with a simple sealed box or a vented one and keep it simple.

Check out this guys site, he has a few good ideas

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kidder/Audio/audio.htm

I have a complete woodshop. My plan is solid cherry front with 1" mdf boxes veneered in cherry. I do architectural design for a living and have an mfa if that helps explain the desire for something out of the ordinary. I got the speakers a long time ago when I helped build these giant waldorf speakers for studio 54. My best friends company was Grand Sound Enterprises. That was a long time ago but the urge to use the speakers in some way is pretty strong.

Thread Information