Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Big Mo".

Regis
    Must not lust after pretty wooden horns! Must hold back from buying more equipment! Umf, pant, gasp! Must have self-control over audio addiction...! But seriously, John W. those are beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    I have a pair of 2440s mounted on smith horns that I would be happy to bring by and swap into Big Mo for a taste-test, since you are in the neighborhood.
    They are my babies and I'm not sure I want them peering over the maximum db abyss, though.
    Funny thing, I was just thinking about that today. I had not noticed if anyone else on this forum was here is this area. You are most welcome to drop by, PM me and I’ll give you a phone number. I would love to hear those Smith horns (we called them Ubangis), and I have often wished I could do more A-B listening with those horns. I wouldn’t worry about SPL, as I said, I have 1.0 amp fuses in output of the Hafler amps.

Those are beautiful horns, it looks like the material is thicker than the 2397.

What magazine was it I used to read? Control rooms of high-end Hollywood, Nashville, and studios around the world, Westlake Audio ads I think they were. The monitor systems were built-in, using Ubangi upper-mid horns. I remember looking at the patterns, and freq. response vs angles for those horns. I came close to using them in nightclubs a number of times, but never did. My lenses have a coloration that I happen to like, but clarity is what I really look for, consistent with the absence of annoying peaks etc., and a reasonably uniform response over a fairly wide listening angle.

As I mentioned this project really hasn’t started yet. The room is terribly cluttered, there is an audible buzz coming from the 12-year-old Mackey mixer (probably interconnection cables, I’m told). It would be more useful to do the test after a DSP crossover is added, the room is cleaned up, and (at least) the buzz is gone. Both subs are working now. (I took 3 2245H drivers to Morgan Sound, and had them re-coned.)

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Pssst, hey Izzy, yeah you, come here, I want to tell you something!

That JBL DCS280, it is a BSS! Its the BSS FDS-388 wearing an American suit!

Yes, I am aware the DSC280 is of BSS manufacture. I guess I didn’t convey my point very well. I’m simply wondering if a newer DSP crossover would be markedly better, given this is still a relatively immature technology (IMHO).

With the kind of help, advice, and info available from folks here, this upgrade project could turn out far better than I could have hoped to do on my own.

Izzy

Then the answer is YES! The newer BSS FDS-366T with its 24/96 processing does sound considerably better.

I have and am using the 366 right now!

Besides better sound, and I had the 388, the 366 also offers much more flexibility and versatility. You can do asymetric slopes, whatever you want, you can mix and match filter slopes and types as you wish! It also has more gain capability, up to +15db at the input, in .1db incremnents, and + and - 15db on the outputs, also in .1db increments!

Not only does it sound superior to the 388, the finer resolution in gain steps allows much better level matching than the 388 and its .5db increments. The ONE thing I love about the 366, is front panel controls. You dont need a laptop to program it, change stuff on the fly, do what ya wanna do, when ya wanna do it!

Then of course, everything else it has, that the 388 had, time alignment, EQ, etc!

The only drawback? EXPENSIVE! But, if you watch ebay, you can come across one for more reasonable money! I got mine from a BSS authorized dealer, and took a demo unit, 1yr old, barely used, in pristine condition for $2000.00! The best I could do NEW at the time, was $3400.

scottyj

Wow, $4000 to $6000 for stereo 4-way with the 366. I would really have to think about THAT for a while. I wonder if the 334t /336t have sufficient features.

Izzy

Very NIce

John

Yes, very nice indeed..

Ken

Thread Information