Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New setup up and running...

Regis

Thumbs up New setup up and running...

I recieved my Perreaux amp on Saturday and had everything hooked up, but just wasn't able to listen to them until lunchtime today. The amp is a Perreaux 200P and this model is still in production with an MSRP of $3,600. Not astronomical audio, but pretty darn good, especially from the original owner for $850 with all the manuals, original packaging and in mint condition. This 2004 amplifier replaces the 1978 Sansui G-22000, that had me looking for better sound.

The Sansui is beatiful and at 220 wpc it is loud. But something was missing and I was getting to the point where I wanted more. There's gotta be better and technology does move forward and with helpful advice from all of you on this forum, I started looking around. I found the Perreaux through an audio shop back east and they were selling it for a valued customer. After talking with him a couple of times, he was good enough to ship the amp before the check cleared. Great people! Today, I took off from work and went home to audition this amp. I'm using my trusty Great American Sound Thalia Preamp. While the GAS Thoebe or Theadra is a good deal better, it's going to have to wait, the Thalia is nice enuff for now.

Listening to it today, I was quite impressed. Better mid-range imaging and detail. Nicer highs that had a little more articulation than previous. The bass was very much in control. Not a muffled beat whatsoever, as the superior damping of the Perreaux had it all pulled together tightly. The low range was better as well and I could feel passages on music that weren't quite there before. Bass passages have more extension and went deeper. No problem whatsoever with 'feeling' the music. An hour and a half later, while I was rushing to get out, I left the stereo on at volume and went upstairs to grab some things. I was surprised to feel the floor on the second story getting a solid pounding from underneath as the big L-300's really let it loose. You could almost feel the floor move upwards!
    All in all, I'm very happy with my new acquisition and the new amp really makes the L-300's even more impressive than they were before. I'll never sell them, ever. And I'm happy (for now...). Thanks all for your recommendations on the audio freshen-upper thread

Oh boy new gear!!

Watch out for the upgrade bug
    Always fun learning more.......

bigredplane
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Oh boy new gear!!

Watch out for the upgrade bug
    So true. The upgrade bug is like Aids, you can't get rid of either one once you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    I recieved my Perreaux amp on Saturday...
    All in all, I'm very happy with my new acquisition and the new amp really makes the L-300's even more impressive than they were before. I'll never sell them, ever. And I'm happy (for now...). Thanks all for your recommendations on the audio freshen-upper thread
    Congratulations!

Widget

Sure would like to see some pics

"It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Regis ol' Pal

Hey Regis,

Sorry I havn't been in touch lately, GREAT to hear about your new acquisition!. Sounds like a personal audition is in order?. I do appreciate the way you articulate your observations and listening impressions. Oh those sweet 077's, lovely H92/LE85 w/2421's and that KILLER 136A Low end!!. Congrat's, Steve G.

norealtalent
    Regis Buddy. I'm soooo sorry for you. You bought a Perreaux? You're screwed for life now. Next time you want an upgrade, you'll have to mortgage the house to get any better!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Perreaux makes some of the best bottom Ive ever heard!

scottyj

Regis

Talking

Thanks all! Scott, you're spot-on. The bottom end on the amp is unbelievable. After work, I threw on some Rob Zombie and the bass slam was explosive. My roomie came home after I left to visit the dogs at the ex's house and he tried it out. He said that it pretty much blew the previous system out of the water and he swore he could almost feel the concrete floor move.

Yah, Steve, call me. You've got my number and you're more than welcome to visit the 'wall-o-sound'. Finally, Dave bud, I did the research carefully. I looked at a lot of equipment and got a lot of advice before I went with Perreaux. The L-300's sound like they've been unleashed from an unfair restraint. Can hardly wait to get home again!

Congrats

Now...

Ahem...

When is the debut party?
    Out.

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Now...

Ahem...

When is the debut party?
    Bring over a stack of CD's next time you're in the area and I'll happily oblige. (that goes for Steve G. too!)

with an MSRP of $3,600. Not astronomical audio, but pretty darn good, especially from the original owner for $850 with all the manuals, original packaging and in mint condition.
    Very good price.
    I'm using my trusty Great American Sound Thalia Preamp. While the GAS Thoebe or Theadra is a good deal better, it's going to have to wait, the Thalia is nice enuff for now.
    Do you really like GAS on L300? Hmmm
    I was surprised to feel the floor on the second story getting a solid pounding from underneath as the big L-300's really let it loose. You could almost feel the floor move upwards!
    That is what you get with Perreaux. Have you heard the750's?

Rolf

Regis
    Gawd Rolf, I've never heard the Perreaux 750 monoblocks http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=46

In fact, I never heard a Perreaux until it was hooked up to my system. There aren't any dealers in the U.S. as distribution is hit-and-miss. It was pure faith in how they're built and recommendations. Regarding the 750 mono's, it would be hard to believe that anyone would actually want 750 wpc, total 1500 watts both sides! I can see 300 as my upper limit with the L-300's and that'd be probably all they can handle out of an amp of this quality (correct me if I'm wrong here). There is so brute power that I feel like I'm getting nearly physically assaulted by the sound!

The GAS may not be the last word in pre's, but I got it locally for a $130. I may upgrade to either a Perreaux SM-2 Class A or something similiar. The GAS Thalia build quality inside is very good and it was certainly 'boutique' audio in the 80's. James Bongiorno designed this line and he hailed from SAE, then went on to Sumo and is now building amps for Spread Spectrum Technologies. http://www.ampzilla2000.com/. Apparently, he also worked for Harmon Kardon as well and Crown too.
    http://www.ampzilla2000.com/James_Bongiorno.html. I'm actually pretty happy with the GAS pre, though I'd like to borrow my buds GAS Thoebe and see how it measures up as there was a noticable difference with the L-150 system in the house.

Gawd Rolf, I've never heard the Perreaux 750 mono blocks
    My brother has a pair, I have a 350P (at the moment not in use) and two R200I's (used as power amps only) in my setup.

I know about the failure regarding the US distributor, as I saw ads on the net for about a year or two, and then nothing. They will be back. For now the US people who wants them must order them from New Zealand.

It is (I believe) said in the US that: "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Why do one want a V8 when you can go from A to B with a 2 cylinder? The reason is that you never have to use all...you use what is necessary, and the rest is just there to take care of emergency.

IF I really put my 4343B's to the test, I tell you they take all of the power of the 750's. AND...they handle it! So will your L300. (Be careful)

Yes, buy the SM2. I got one for sale. You get it for US$ 500 + shipping. It is a good unit, but I would recommend the newer SM6. Costs a lot more....

Maron Horonzakz
    I find the Perraeux SM-3 I now have wins hands down over the GAS Theadra. The Theadra sounded smeared in the midrange (no clarity) The Sm-3 is a bit quieter tham the SM-2 but not by mutch.(phono)

Thread Information