Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Studio L890

New Studio L890

Has anyone had the opportunity to audition the new L890? I was just curious on any opinions on the new Studio Series.

Do a search on l890 and you'll find some threads

Maybe I missed something?

I did read the one thread but I didn't see where anyone actually listened to them just a lot of speculation on the super tweeter etc. Maybe I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    I did read the one thread but I didn't see where anyone actually listened to them just a lot of speculation on the super tweeter etc. Maybe I missed something?
    YEs, go to the thread:

Studio L Series by Dome and read page 5

Thanks!

I must have just scanned it and missed the Jr. member who listened to them. I'm trying to find a store close by that carries them but so far no luck. May have to check Frys next time I'm in the Bay Area.

Glad you found it it. Not much written about them yet.

read the thread about th 4430's, nice...and about John Bonham, cool....

have you had 4430's before?

I have heard 4430's before although at the time I didn't know what I was listening to. They were hanging from the ceiling in a small club in Sacramento, probably in 86 or 87. I distictly remember the "cheeky" horns and the blue grill cloth. I guess they sounded good, they were being played very loud and the bass was thumping! Come to think of it, they may have been 4435's? I was at least sober when I went in because I have never forgot the look of those horns! I'm hoping to pick up the 4430's on Friday and try to get some pics up. I may stop by and see Zilch on my way home and have him check them out?

I may stop by and see Zilch on my way home and have him check them out?
    Since he offered that would be a big 10-4, he knows a lot. One thing about the 4430's ( I had a pair and sold them to Audiobeer), they usually take some "working" to get them to sound right.

More often than not, these are not speakers that you can just throw into room, hook up, pour a beer and expect the best ( altho most people try it).

The JBL studio monitors were not designed for home use but for Studio's, so we don't use them the way they were designed and this can cause problems sometimes.

two things I hear most from people is the Bass not being correct ( drop somewhere) and the highs ( too bright), all of these are due most often to the room. Also, the 4430's are some of the most transparent speakers I've heard and the source can make a big difference. I had a blast hooking up different, sources,amps, pre-amps, wires and just listening to the difference.

Anyway, have fun.....

Amp?

I am probably going to have replace my trusty Yamaha 100 watt stereo receiver? I will likely buy a Vincent SV-233 200 watt integrated amp. It belongs to a guy I know and is in great shape and I can get for a good price. At this time, space does not allow for an amp/pre-amp. Don't know much about the brand but it's built like a brick s... house! I asked Michael Smith to give an Aussie perspective, they seem to be popular Down Under. Haven't heard back from him however. Must be the middle of the night there.

The bigger the better. 100 watt? .

...200 watt ...getting there....

A good 200 W should handle it pretty good...just depends on the amp, I'm not familiar with the Vincent SV-233 so I can't say. I used my Marantz MA700's ( 200 watt) with it and it sounded very good. . The 700's have "thin" and "tight" lower mid-bass and bass, so I wasn't getting all the stuff I could with them. The Mark Levinsom 23.5 sounded good also but a bit "dry' on top and clinical. the Mac 402 Just nailed it perfectly, the bass and mid-bass was full, yet articulate, the softer highs of a Mac just worked with the 2425 soooo nicely...Damn, it was sweet. the sound stage, the instructments everything....With the mac I had to use silver connectors and (Silver wires + Copper Kimber wires)

Everything is a trade-off of course, but the mac beast just did it for me. Audiobeer loved it too.. it's a shame he didn't get to hear it fully setup up ( and i had removed my special wires I had inside)

anyway, every room, cable, amp, pre-amp will make a difference..

Oh yes, do a search on 4430...there's a lot of good stuff written...

Placement

I'm affraid I have but one place to put them so I will have to make them work. Johnaec has had some good success with an EQ. I have had them before and felt they were more trouble than they were worth. As soon as you get it dialed in on one song, the next needs a completely different setting. In all honesty, they will be mainly for background music. I just don't seem to have time to sit and do any critical listening anymore. And, I'm geeting old. Instead of Deep Puple, I find myself listening to Wes Montgomery?
    How did that happen?:dont-know I just know that when a low E on a bass guitar is hit, I want it to sound like a low E. When the kick drum gets kicked, I want to feel it! My hearing is so far gone that the days of wanting to hear that nice cymbal decay are over. Give me good bass, a clean kick drum, accurate vocals, an LP that sounds like an LP, OK or a Strat that sounds like a Strat, and I'm a happy guy!

Simple...get your ears checked and find out how much you are down and where..use the equalizer to boost those areas so you hear it correctly ( like when you were young)...makes all the difference..sounds like shit to everyone else but who cares

And, I'm geeting old. Instead of Deep Puple, I find myself listening to Wes Montgomery?
    How did that happen?:dont-know
    You can't be that old......Don't feel bad, sometimes I feel like watching Gene Autry movies and playing his songs.

Gene Autry???

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    You can't be that old......Don't feel bad, sometimes I feel like watching Gene Autry movies and playing his songs.
    If I start wanting to play Gene Autry songs, I hope some Forum member just shoots me!

My great-grandmother used to watch me every weekend when I was a kid. We would always watch the Lawrence Welk show. And a-one and a-two.......
    Maybe that's what happened to me? Thank God for The Beatles, the Stones, Oh and the mighty Zep!!!

Thread Information