Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jbl LE100S w/ M5040 horn?

rjtimmerman

jbl LE100S w/ M5040 horn?

I have a Compression driver version LE100S 8 ohm-with a factory M5040 elbow type horn. What was the original application of this driver? I can not find any thing about it. It looks just like a LE175.

Obsolete

Re: jbl LE100S w/ M5040 horn?

I think the 5040 was used in the Metregon and the LE100S was simply an OEM driver with a phenolic diaphragm. I'm not sure if it was the same as the 2460 or the 2470. If you know how much just the driver weighs then that will tell you. I have a weight of 12 pounds for the LE100S (but that could be wrong) and LE85/2420/2470, and weight of 8 pounds for the LE175/2410/2460. Or you could go by diameter. The LE85/2420/2470 is 5.75" while the LE175/2410/2460 is 4.5". I have no diameter for the LE100S.
    Last edited by 4313B; 10-14-2003 at 02:00 PM.

Thumbs up 2460

Hi there,

The LE100S was a 2460 in disguise . Old "Goes INTO" sheets show the D162460 diaphragm as "going into the : LE100S, LE175HP, 2460 and the 5P350 ( Dukane part # ). The D16R2470 went into the 2461 ( improved diaphragm ), 2470, and the 5P355 ( Dukane ).

regards <> Earl K

LE100S Diaphram

Just picked up a pair with mismatched diaphragms.
    Does anyone have any links on information and how to replace diaphragms for this LE100s driver

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Just picked up a pair with mismatched diaphragms.
    Does anyone have any links on information and how to replace diaphragms for this LE100s driver

Hmmm, I don't have any links ( to post ) that directly address replacing diaphragms in older JBL drivers ( maybe others do ) but,

all older small format ( alnico magnet type ) compression drivers had locating pins that centered the replacement diaphragm .

LE100S Diaphram

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hmmm, I don't have any links ( to post ) that directly address replacing diaphragms in older JBL drivers ( maybe others do ) but,

all older small format ( alnico magnet type ) compression drivers had locating pins that centered the replacement diaphragm .

Hi Earl give me a text or call. I'd like to ask more questions about this driver. 647-783-2277. Thanks

Sorry Vinny, I don't do private communications with forum members here or at other forums ( that's why my PM access is turned off ).

LE100S Diaphram/Horn

Sorry Vinny, I don't do private communications with forum members here or at other forums ( that's why my PM access is turned off ).

You had asked someone earlier to pm you while ago. So if you don't take pm or text can you help me out with two inquiries.
    Whats the perfect model horn I could replace the current bent one 5040. How about the Short potato masher 2170-2290? The current 5040 I was told is limited and restrictive.

The diaphragms you mentioned in previous comments is confusing. Which 16 ohm diaphragm would be the most musical one to get and what's the model number and where on the net can I buy a pair. Thanks

Vinny,

I'll need to think about your questions for a while ( being in Canada means it's harder to recommend horns ).

FYI, I don't care much for potato mashers or slant plate lenses because I find they compromise imaging.

If imaging is of lower importance to your musical tastes then either type will suffice ( with the 2307/2308 combo being somewhat easier to come by ).

I'll get back to you.

Vinny,

I'll need to think about your questions for a while ( being in Canada means it's harder to recommend horns ).

FYI, I don't care much for potato mashers or slant plate lenses because I find they compromise imaging.

If imaging is of lower importance to your musical tastes then either type will suffice ( with the 2307/2308 combo being somewhat easier to come by ).

I'll get back to you.

Thanks Earl. Imaging is important as well as getting the full spectrum of sweet highs as well. I'd like to get full maximum of what that driver has to offer.

+1

I think the slant plate horns sound better than the potato mashers, but both are bettered by numerous alternatives. That said, the better 43XX monitors with the various slant plate horn/lens combos can sound pretty darned good even if their imaging is a bit on the poor side. But I’m getting off topic.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1

I think the slant plate horns sound better than the potato mashers, but both are bettered by numerous alternatives. That said, the better 43XX monitors with the various slant plate horn/lens combos can sound pretty darned good even if their imaging is a bit on the poor side. But I’m getting off topic.

Widget
    Thanks I seek those Alternatives. Have any in mind?

Thanks Earl. Imaging is important as well as getting the full spectrum of sweet highs as well. I'd like to get full maximum of what that driver has to offer.

Vinny,

I believe your best path forward ( to obtaining a top-shelf listening experience with a Lansing product ) is to set aside your JBL components for now and instead make an Altec M19 knockoff.

The sectoral/radial horn found in the M19 ( as flawed as I think it is ) still images better than any of the older JBL slant plates ( or potato mashers ).

You would need to make the cabinets from plans posted at GPA ( or purchase cabinets from VSR > which is the cabinetry outfit in Atlanta that GPA has partnered with ) .
    - You'll also need to buy a pair of 811B horns in the used market ( typically available for @ 150. on eBay ).

The main components ( 416-8B woofer, 802-G8 compression driver, 1201-8a crossover ) are all available for purchase from Great Plains Audio.

Vinny,

I believe your best path forward ( to obtaining a top-shelf listening experience with a Lansing product ) is to set aside your JBL components for now and instead make an Altec M19 knockoff.

The sectoral/radial horn found in the M19 ( as flawed as I think it is ) still images better than any of the older JBL slant plates ( or potato mashers ).

You would need to make the cabinets from plans posted at GPA ( or purchase cabinets from VSR > which is the cabinetry outfit in Atlanta that GPA has partnered with ) .
    - You'll also need to buy a pair of 811B horns in the used market ( typically available for @ 150. on eBay ).

The main components ( 416-8B woofer, 802-G8 compression driver, 1201-8a crossover ) are all available for purchase from Great Plains Audio.

How about the Manta Ray horn?

Are you using the above set up too? I currently have Altec Legatos with 511 horn and green components home built cabinet voice of the theatre.

How about the Manta Ray horn?

Are you using the above set up too? I currently have Altec Legatos with 511 horn and green components home built cabinet voice of the theatre.
    I use Altec 288-8K drivers adapted to Emilar EH500 horns ( @ the size of Altec 811b horns ), usually working over JBL Me150H woofers ( sometimes JBL Le14H woofers ).

My M19 recommendation was simply because I thought ( from all your posts ) that you didn't have anything decent to listen to ( my mistake, sorry ).

So, are you happy with the Legatos that you currently have ?

Are they the older twin 15 or the newer twin 12 Legatos ?

Thread Information