Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Finally my new babes have arrived (4435)

Hehe, if this is the real world Giskard, I don't know if I like it I seriously don't know what to do now... I guess I how to try the same things with some other speakers in the room downstairs and see if I can get them to work properly. Early in the phase I tried my 120TI and then they seemed to work fine (but I didn't test very much). But maybe Leif have a point that 4435 need big rooms?

Anyone need a pair of 4435

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    One thing you could try would be to put one of your speakers in your listening position and crawl around and find out where the best bass response is. this of course may not have the best imaging if any at all.
    Been there, done that... I tried putting one of the speakers anywhere I could think I could possibly place the sofa, but that didn't give me very many answers since I couldn't find any place with proper bass. The only way to get bass downstairs is either very close to the speaker or very close to the walls.

So maybe your right...maybe the previous owner of the house have put invissible basstraps in all rooms downstairs

I hate to say it Tord...You GOT to talk to your wife (I can let mine call yours )to let them stay in your living room NOMATTER how ugly she or you think they are.

They CAN be suspended (upside-down) at the wall-ceiling junction, but special rigging must be installed to do it. Contact JBL Tech Services for more info. I believe there's a rigging manual that deals with this.

It's NOT a DIY endeavor, tho....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

That's NOT a DIY endeavor, tho....
    Could be if you try hard!! Got to make sure that you have your unistrut in the proper place tho....
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Could be if you try hard!! Got to make sure that you have your unistrut in the proper place tho....
    Yeah, you don't get many shots at it without having to rebuild the house....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Yeah, you don't get many shots at it without having to rebuild the house....
    That could solve the bass problem tho....
    Always fun learning more.......

another option

Greetings

I don’t know that I can be of any assistance, but as I have been given some wonderful advice from the forum, the least I can do is to try to help with my experiences. I started a thread a month or so ago about tuning my room versus an eq, and was given a lot to think about. I have a pair of L100t3's as my front channel, that have been suffering from a “head cold”. Everything was weak and nasally. I figured that the big problem was the brick wall behind the system. I had found a while back the suggestion of filling a porous bag with packing peanuts to put in the corner, and it really did tighten up the bass some. It was suggested here to get rid of them and instead try foam (like furniture padding). I have since purchased two “queen sized beds” worth of foam mattress pad (shaped almost like egg crates) and lined the back wall. Not only have I cured the head cold, the bass has become more focused and the sound stage is much wider. I continue to experiment with additional foam placement and my plan is to build a false wall in front of the foam with speaker grill material when I find the sonics I am looking for. Wifey says I can have the foam glued to the wall while the experiment is going on. This might be something for you to try as well.

Good luck.

P.S. if you can not find anything that will work, I will be happy to take the bassless speakers off you hands...

Hmmmm, interesting.... I guess what you are talking about is about the same I've questioned earlier in this thread called basstraps! It could look something like this:

I've also in another thread asked if it could help, but was then told that it would only reduce the bass, and that is the least thing I want

"Factory basstraps" like the one on the picture is way overpriced, but DIY can be made quite cheap so maybe it's worth a try... maybe I should buy a package of Rockwool and make some this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    I've also in another thread asked if it could help, but was then told that it would only reduce the bass, and that is the least thing I want....
    Think about it. You're losing bass because it's being cancelled by reflected waves traveling a longer distance to your listening position and thus arriving out-of-phase.

Stopping ("trapping") them solves the problem. The corners may be the culprit....

So you're saying that this could be an solution worth trying? And the "reduced bass" could in my problem rooms infact mean increased?

As also written earlier in this thread I already tried placeing alot of pillows and stuff in my room and it did infact help quite a bit (but not at all enough) So maybe the combination of basstraps and big carpets on the floor could be a way out of the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    Hmmmm, interesting.... I guess what you are talking about is about the same I've questioned earlier in this thread called basstraps! It could look something like this:

I've also in another thread asked if it could help, but was then told that it would only reduce the bass, and that is the least thing I want

"Factory basstraps" like the one on the picture is way overpriced, but DIY can be made quite cheap so maybe it's worth a try... maybe I should buy a package of Rockwool and make some this weekend
    Note the preferred location of the bass traps with respect to the direct radiator.

I bet you've got plenty of bass when listening in another room...if that's the case, by all means treat the room.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

If you read the whole thread you'll see that I've tried 3 rooms in the basement and none of them sounded good at all. It was first when I tried them in my livingroom (the only room where I can't have them) they sounded like they should.

Instead of useing rockwool for the DIY basstraps... could it be an option useing a kind of "liquid foam" (the type that dries and get kinda hard in a couple of hours)? Exatcly what I'm thinking of is foam used mainly in industry for packing stuff that it's hard to pack normal. (it's kinda the same as buildingfoam used when monuintg windows so that they are airtight) (BTW: Yes I've heard it before that I have many strange ideas.. )

I don’t think that I would go the spray foam route for a couple of reasons. 1) I think the hard foam will reflect more where the soft foam will absorb the sound waves. 2) The foam is more permanent/stationary. I have been moving the “wall of foam” around slightly for the past several weeks, and each time I make changes, it makes sound changes as well. Not all changes have been better, so when a change does not work, I can change it back. I also have several “cubes” (note equal sides but more of 3D rectangles) and smaller pieces of mattress pad (12X18X1 or so) that I have been experimenting with as well. I did start with pillows, but wifey did not like that idea as well... The small $$ that I have spent has been a good investment both in sound and knowledge.

Again, I will be glad to take them off of your hands....

Thread Information