Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Finally my new babes have arrived (4435)

Quote Originally Posted by leif
    A simple suggestion: Change the location of the horns. Put them on the back side of your speakers, and turn the big beasts 180 degrees. Then you will listen to the back side of them, where the bass is loud and beautiful

mmmmmm.... maybe the headphone position is better

Are you sure that you have the drivers wired in phase? Only bass close to individual speakers could be due to wiring issues, compounded by the 2 bass drivers/cabinet.
    Easy test is when you sit in your listening position out front in the exact middle does the soudstage suddenly shift the way your head does if you move slightly to one side?

A simple suggestion: Change the location of the horns. Put them on the back side of your speakers, and turn the big beasts 180 degrees. Then you will listen to the back side of them, where the bass is loud and beautiful
    In fact I did try and reverse the speaker just to try it out and see if it would give me the bass I'm still looking for At listeining position, maybe it gain a tiny litle bit, but not very much, and of course it was just to test and see what happend

It's hard to describe how bad in fact the bass is in my room, but I guess it says it all when my loend JVC surround system in my living room plays better But then again, in some parts of the room there's this beautiful bass I'm looking for... it just so frustrating not to get anything like that in the sofa

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    Are you sure that you have the drivers wired in phase? Only bass close to individual speakers could be due to wiring issues, compounded by the 2 bass drivers/cabinet.
    Easy test is when you sit in your listening position out front in the exact middle does the soudstage suddenly shift the way your head does if you move slightly to one side?
    I've tested and tested and unfotunately the wiring is correct, both outside and inside the cabinet When I sit just in front of one speaker, it's GREAT bass, and the same if I stand between both speakers. But when I move away from the speakers I have to move to the other side of the room to get anything close to "correct bass". I totally understand why you think there could be a wire/phase problem with the speakers because that's almost how it sound, but again, it doesn't help (it makes thing even worse) when I try changing...

I've had "similar" size speakers for I guess 15 years and I've never had any problems like this before...

leif
    Hmmm... it sounds very very odd that it is like that. Sounds like a phase problem, but if you have tried that out, then I really dont know. And if you have tried two different rooms too...
    Could it be that these beasts need a very large room to get right bass?
    Or could it be that you are too acustom to a boosted bass system with your old Cerwin Vega speakers? I dunno.

I wish we lived closer so I could come over and listen.
    BTW, I have rented a place 29th april. 140 square meters, rectangular, high up to the cieling. That room would be perfect to test out those speakers. Too bad you are on the west coast.

Leif

diaghostic...

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    In fact I did try and reverse the speaker just to try it out and see if it would give me the bass I'm still looking for At listeining position, maybe it gain a tiny litle bit, but not very much, and of course it was just to test and see what happend

It's hard to describe how bad in fact the bass is in my room, but I guess it says it all when my loend JVC surround system in my living room plays better But then again, in some parts of the room there's this beautiful bass I'm looking for... it just so frustrating not to get anything like that in the sofa
    well problem problem...

fix variables.

---test tone or music :

try with excellent quality headphone to compare signal speakers and headphone for detect problem performance driver, network, connection...

--- test to pull out speaker and replace by other in exact same place...

--- the position of your sofa it is a problem or it is a speaker interation ???

it is shure you have a problem in phase integration in your room... maybe the speaker position, maybe the sofa position, probably 2 ways.

check modal room calculator (many available in www.)

:dont-know

I wish we lived closer so I could come over and listen... Too bad you are on the west coast.
    We have that same problem over here... but here the coasts are 4,800 km apart.

Widget

BOX FOR BOX

OK DOKAY, if you have try -it all and you have problem again check this solution...

first you understand the risk of diagnotic and the erratic solution via over sea

of course with intensity probe (on my prev picture) explain in 2 minutes this cancel phase effect. but I'M leave in Canada...

bee shure the pressure on back of speaker is more power and bloom than in room...

you have a great opportunity to create on wall speaker.

create and hard frame and be shure you listen height ear is half distance to low and high driver...

frame structurally very hard for this height. close area with frame rigit and put min 2 (5/8) hard gypsum board (3 or 4 ply is really better) fill this upper box in mineral wool. and fill bottom and back speaker in mineral wool.
    give you gasket for tight speaker otherwise you create a radiator bass by small crack. the seal box is extremely important.

the cavity effect is completely dissapear and the modal room is completely change. the sofa maybe is still same place.

the end of free consultation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm... it sounds very very odd that it is like that. Sounds like a phase problem, but if you have tried that out, then I really dont know. And if you have tried two different rooms too...
    Could it be that these beasts need a very large room to get right bass?
    Or could it be that you are too acustom to a boosted bass system with your old Cerwin Vega speakers? I dunno.

I wish we lived closer so I could come over and listen.
    BTW, I have rented a place 29th april. 140 square meters, rectangular, high up to the cieling. That room would be perfect to test out those speakers. Too bad you are on the west coast.

Leif
    Offtopic: My "Cerwin Vega" speakers are in fact JBL 120TI and 1200GTI, it's only the enclosure that is Cerwin Vega And belive me, the problem is NOT that I prefer a boosted bass system as you say... Again, "my reference" is still my friends 250TI (a $30-40.000 setup) and the bass in house is nowhere near his 250TI and that says it all So it's not my taste, it's a real problem

Quote Originally Posted by B&KMan
    well problem problem...

fix variables.

---test tone or music :

try with excellent quality headphone to compare signal speakers and headphone for detect problem performance driver, network, connection...

--- test to pull out speaker and replace by other in exact same place...

--- the position of your sofa it is a problem or it is a speaker interation ???

it is shure you have a problem in phase integration in your room... maybe the speaker position, maybe the sofa position, probably 2 ways.

check modal room calculator (many available in www.)

:dont-know
    The sofa isn't the real issue, I've tried it everywhere in my room, the same with the speakers. What I meant is that some places in my room there is bass, but if you take a look at the sketch further up in this thread you see that's nowhere near where I can put the sofa. I've also tried useing only one 4435 at a time but with the same result.

I've used only music I know very well to test this out, I think that's more accurate and correct than only test tones!?! And since it's only music I know how i supposed to sound I also know that it's not correct here

Room calculators are not easy to use since my rooms have many angels, in the room I was hopeing to use there is 10 differnt angels/walls!! I could take/create a 360' picture to show it.. The other room have "only" 6 angels/walls.

Quote Originally Posted by B&KMan
    you have a great opportunity to create on wall speaker.
    Hmmm, you mean creating a wall/baffel to fill the entire wall, like what is done in i.e. THX theathers? In fact that could be a solution if it would make the sound good. Since I'm going to use the same system also as a hometheather I long time ago had a plan to make that kind of wall and use the upper part for the screen for the projector! The problem with this is that it's not easy to try out without infact build the wall, and I guess that takes a lot of time... time I don't have at the moment since I got a son 4 weeks ago

Anyway... I did in fact earlier this evening try room no 3! This is almost a quadral rom (don't know if that's the word, what I mean is that all walls are almost identical, and there's only 4 walls in this room) And the first listening sounded quite promising, but since there is nothing in the room right now (it's totally empty so there's a lot of echos) and since the young ones in the house are asleep I couldn't test very much, but I will test this more out tomorrow. If this is not an sucess either, there's only one more room left to try, and that's the living room upstairs where I'm not allowed to have the speakers But of course I can try them there just to see if it's something with the basement that creates all my problems/frustrations

Thanx anyway guys for trying... time to go to bed here in Norway!

I've used only music I know very well to test this out, I think that's more accurate and correct than only test tones!?!

... time to go to bed here in Norway!
    mmmm I hope you not make a nightmare psycho bass killer

iiraaarrrrrgrhhhllllll

I explain more serious methods.

keep any shareware who create a pure tone sweep gently or try to found the pitch who the problem is more present.

because the tone is extremely constant (not music) it is easy to perceive where the pression is really higher... and phase romm reaction.

the music is a final issue to appreciate but it is not a tool. so

I don't know if this was suggested yet but did you use a battery to test the polarity of all the woofers? All it takes is one out of the four to be reversed and you'll get bass problems.

I don't know if this was suggested yet but did you use a battery to test the polarity of all the woofers? All it takes is one out of the four to be reversed and you'll get bass problems.
    The battery check might be a nice simple way to confirm what the speakers are actually doing. Your 4435's, I'm to understand, have been reconed or refoamed at some point and I think the vintage of those speakers run smack dab into the JBL positive in/positive out orientation issue.

I've doubled and trippled check all woofers and both spekers, both visual, and "soundable" and also with battery, and they are all correct. WHen I try changeing polarity on one woofer I get no bass even just in front of the speaker

But anyway... I've just tried the last opportunity I had in my house, put the speakers in my livingroom upstairs. And..... "unfortunately" it seems that my rooms downstairs are the only reason for my problem because the speakers are awsome in my livingroom This ofcourse would be great news if haveing them in my livingroom was an option, but as written earlier it isn't.

So at the moment I really don't know what to do... :dont-know

Obsolete
    This of course would be great news if haveing them in my livingroom was an option, but as written earlier it isn't.
    Yeah, well, welcome to the real world.

Maybe it has "NO-BASS" walls and floors!!

Sorry I could not resist!!

One thing you could try would be to put one of your speakers in your listening position and crawl around and find out where the best bass response is. this of course may not have the best imaging if any at all.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information