Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Horns VS cones

Well for you fellas that like cones there are always Bozaks. They seem pretty undervalued right now save for the CGs. I saw a pair of Symphonys (dual 12s, single 6" cone mid, 8-2" aluminum cone tweeter line array) go for only $250 on ebay, that's alot of speaker for the money.

I have a pair of the coaxials with the 12" woof and 2 splayed tweeters awaiting use. They may wait awhile.

Talking Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan
    Well for you fellas that like cones there are always Bozaks. They seem pretty undervalued right now save for the CGs. I saw a pair of Symphonys (dual 12s, single 6" cone mid, 8-2" aluminum cone tweeter line array) go for only $250 on ebay, that's alot of speaker for the money.

I have a pair of the coaxials with the 12" woof and 2 splayed tweeters awaiting use. They may wait awhile.
    Tom lobs in another.
    Out.

Obsolete
    No doubt. I had four of them. I never did care much for those things.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    In my listening time (about 28 years) I still seem to think your (Giskard) first post in this thread was what I was looking for. I do like the sound of a well setup horn system but I am not sure if I could have them as my full time listening setup.
    I was more leaning towards a system like a 4345 because of the design and the R&D that went in to this system.
    The Avant Gardes that I listened to sounded great but the image was a bit to present to my ears. This is why I think I would be unhappy with a system like that.
    I agree..there are certain practical considerations when you consider the size of a conical midrange horn like Steve Schell has discussed. This is where a dedicated hi sensitivity cone midrange when used in conjunction with horn system delivers the low distortion and compression that JBLs are known for. As has been discussed so many times on these boards its not what necessarily but how its done.

I would also point out that based on recent developments one horn type over another should not be written off when real advancements are made in the compression driver. A horn will of course only deliver what you put into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    As has been discussed so many times on these boards its not what necessarily but how its done.
    Absolutely... that combined with our own personal bias, expectations, and ability to discern sonic differences... sometimes I read posts and wonder if the aesthetics or lack of them is driving people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I would also point out that based on recent developments one horn type over another should not be written off when real advancements are made in the compression driver. A horn will of course only deliver what you put into it!
    I would suggest that the effects of compression drivers vs. horns is much like comparing the sonic effects of amplifiers vs. speakers. I am not thinking about the comparison in terms of function but rather their overall effect on the sound. While an amp will affect the sound of a system, the gross variations in a loudspeaker's ability or inability to convert electrical information into acoustic will have a more drastic impact on how a system sounds. The same is true with horns and compression drivers... differences in compression drivers while huge are an order of magnitude more subtle than trying different horns on a given set of drivers. The distortions, phase cancellations, and effects to overall frequency response are quite significant within the horn... while they may be thought of as a lens focusing the dispersion of sound within a room, they tend to be more like crude hand made lenses with all of the inherent inaccuracies they impose on the sound.

Widget

Steve Gonzales

Sticky subjects

Very interesting discussion. I'd hate to think that aesthetics played a part in a person's choice unless all other things were equal. Funny how sane people can even consider seriously debating the merits of cone vs. compression to the extent of absolutes. As stated earlier, even a good speaker of either type will be greatly affected by the source components and room acoustics. There is a thread on the board about trying to get a pair of 4435's and a B460 to sound right!. We have very polarized camps here and it is fun to discuss the merits of either side, but there should be no mention of Bozak in a serious one. I understand the joke though. I say "enjoy the journey" and I mean journey. Being skeptical about everything until my ears tell me it's right. I think that people get sidetracked with too much information and faith in a person(s) that seems to have all the answers. There is nothing wrong with having a Mentor, I've had the honor of being guided by several good people. Dave Brink has shown me by his own actions that hearing is believeing. Not just a one time glimpse, no, a process. That requires a baseline of information, gleened from trusted sources, but confirmed by personal experience. I can't imagine anyone expecting the final word about what they'll like ultimately from anyone other than themselves. This takes time and alot of effort. How bad do you want it?.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    I'd hate to think that aesthetics played a part in a person's choice unless all other things were equal.
    I'm shallow. I like loudspeakers that can stand up to the light of day. If they have a bunch of funky looking junk hanging here, there and everywhere I couldn't care less what they sound like because they'll never make it through the front door. No brown bags or American flags needed here!

Steve Gonzales

Giskard

Yeah, you're about as shallow as the Marianna's Trench. You handled the Bozak joke pretty good too .

"but there should be no mention of Bozak in a serious one. I understand the joke though."

I wasn't joking Gonzales, nor was I aware there should be no mention of Bozak speakers here. Are you sure there shouldn't?

Steve Gonzales

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Tom lobs in another.
    What did you think this meant?

Steve Gonzales

If you want to....

"but there should be no mention of Bozak in a serious one. I understand the joke though."

I wasn't joking Gonzales, nor was I aware there should be no mention of Bozak speakers here. Are you sure there shouldn't?
    Well Brennan, if you haven't noticed, this is the JBL site. This thread is cone vs. horns. I have my own preference. That preference is JBL. If you seriously are trying convert anyone here to dump JBL and buy some Bozak's, maybe you should ask yourself if Bozak's are a viable option here?.

Well Brennan, if you haven't noticed, this is the JBL site. This thread is cone vs. horns. I have my own preference. That preference is JBL. If you seriously are trying convert anyone here to dump JBL and buy some Bozak's, maybe you should ask yourself if Bozak's are a viable option here?.
    Actually I think he expects us to be opened minded and to look at any speaker offered as a suggestion to be just that. Nothing about conversion. Bozak's had some rather revolutionary driver designs well before his time. I wouldn't mind hearing a pair. May not be my cup of tea but worth a listen to see.

Rob

Steve Gonzales

Context

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Actually I think he expects us to be opened minded and to look at any speaker offered as a suggestion to be just that. Nothing about conversion. Bozak's had some rather revolutionary driver designs well before his time. I wouldn't mind hearing a pair. May not be my cup of tea but worth a listen to see.

Rob
    Okay Rob, fair enough. I think you have to read the statement in context. Can you picture yourself posting that statement about Bozak's?. Bozak's, as a viable option here is a joke to me when there are so many great direct radiator models from JBL to choose from. That is what I meant .

Careful, now.

If you make Tom angry enough, he's liable to consider that licence to opine upon L220's....

Steve Gonzales

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Careful, now.

If you make Tom mad enough, he's liable to consider that licence to opine upon L220's....
    You mean like: "Cut the tops off and make sub enclosures out of em'?.

Thread Information