Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Horns VS cones

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    I have to agree with you bass hornies regarding the superiority of bass horns, and their choice as optimum to match the rest of a horn system....
    ...Even with ambitious large format studio monitors, the d.r. bass doesn't seem to quite keep up with the rest of the horn loaded range dynamically.
    yep, that's the way i hear it.
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

I'll give you the final answer first. If you want to hear a horn system set up properly, go to the Klipsch forum. Lots of very friendly people over there that are all over the world. Someone local will undoubtedly invite you over for a day of music and audio talk.

I have been running horns for a while now. Klipschorns, Belles and Heresys. They are very dynamic and sound wonderful when set up properly. The speakers dissappear and your just have this huge detailed soundstage in front of you.

The Klipschorns and Belles are fully horn loaded. The shortcomming of Klipsch speakers is the drivers and midrange horns. An exponential design is used in the "heritage" line and this will not change as that teh way Paul Klipsch designed them. These are being replaced by many with the tractrix (Spelling?? ) design advocated by Edgar. It it said to be much smoother and similar to Altec 511 horns.

I just sold my K horns because I am building a new system using a Speakerlab bass bin Klipsch knockoff, JBL 2570 compression drivers on Altec 511B's and JBL 2404 baby cheeks. I use a pro Yamaha D2040 active crossover (with time delay) and tri amplify.

Horns are sensative to amplification. Any harshness or "grain" (or tube amp hum for that matter) is heard. Tubes seem to be the preferred means. I used a Scott tube integrated in teh past and now I use a Juicy Music tube preamp and a combination of QSC solid state for woofer and digital amps for the mids and tweeters. Dynamics are awesome and clarity and detail is remarkable. The big benefit is that the drivers are barely moving and hence distortion is very low. I switch back and forth between a Benchmark DAC1 and an AH! Tubed CD player. The Benchmark had geat detail with the horns and everything, even bad recordings, sound good using the AH!

While I am waiitng to complete my new K horn system I am using a Sony digitally amplified receiver, "ALK" crossover and Belles with a Benchmark DAC1. It, for a budget system, sounds fantastic. Digital amps work extremely well with horns an dthey are very inexpensive.

Good luck in your quest.

Chris

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner
    I'll give you the final answer first. If you want to hear a horn system set up properly, go to the Klipsch forum.
    Nice post! I'd rather go with the Array Series though.

Maron Horonzakz
    Giskard....Are you trying to say the Array will sound better than the Klipsch RF7 tracktrix? (at a fraction of the price)

Obsolete
    I'm not trying to say anything.
    What I said was "I'd rather go with the Array Series."

Maron Horonzakz
    I,m not trying to bait you. I just wondered how you came to that conclusion?

Obsolete

Clue?

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    I,m not trying to bait you. I just wondered how you came to that conclusion?
    This is a Lansing Hertage website and I like Lansing products?

Maron Horonzakz
    Oh!!!! I like Both.....Have Paragon plus other JBL drivers plus Klipschorns (4 units) 2 units modified with JBL components.

If I was to use any horn speaker it would be a JBL monitor design most likely. The reason for this is I am not a tube amp fan. I like the snap of SS over tube. I do however like the sound of a tube pre.

So I guess my original statement should have been JBL horns VS direct radiators.
    I have listened to some very nice horn systems (Avant Garde duo's) and they did sound nice but it was not a sound that I think I could live with ALL the time.

I also would like to here the Array system. This is one of the reasons I have presented this question.
    Shane
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    Oh!!!! I like Both.....Have Paragon plus other JBL drivers plus Klipschorns (4 units) 2 units modified with JBL components.
    Yeah, fortunately all my audio needs are met without having to resort to Klipsch products. I've heard more Klipsch systems in more venues than I ever needed to or desired to.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    So I guess my original statement should have been JBL horns VS direct radiators.
    Yeah, probably. I suppose since this is a Lansing Heritage website it was automatically assumed. It's certainly what I assumed you meant.

In my listening time (about 28 years) I still seem to think your (Giskard) first post in this thread was what I was looking for. I do like the sound of a well setup horn system but I am not sure if I could have them as my full time listening setup.
    I was more leaning towards a system like a 4345 because of the design and the R&D that went in to this system.
    The Avant Gardes that I listened to sounded great but the image was a bit to present to my ears. This is why I think I would be unhappy with a system like that.
    Always fun learning more.......

Maron Horonzakz
    The JBL 2397 DSH wood horn is a well liked horn. And many on this forum have made them & discussed them on this forum. It is not a JBL design. But was designed by Bob H Smith (1949) University of Calif. Elect. Eng. I would put that unit up against any cone unit. Voight tracktrix designs are hard to beat sonicly None JBL but must be included. Lets not be narrow minded about them. Just to give a back handed swipe & say this is a Lansing Heritage site Would be a diservice. JBL was influenced by many others. The Hartsfield was influenced By Klipsch & Klipsch was influenced by Hartsfield Look at the Klipsch Jubilee.. Klipsch was influenced by Voight.. Horns vs Cones is a innocent subject But has a double edge blade.

Cool Consumer/pro; near field/far field; horn/cone; blah-blah

All this dichotomizing is giving me a headache.

There are so many frickin' variables that no easy blanket statement is possible. One has to listen to as many as possible, then decide which systems are more pleasing.

Since I don't have a huge room or stadium to fill, I tend to feel that large horn-based systems are inappropriate for my environment. Yet, I'm keen to hear the horn-based Project Array, and I was stunned by the horn-based K2s.

The K2s are a magnitude better to me than any of the older horn systems, especially the monsters of the past which I would not want in my house. My hope is the less expensive Project Arrays will be nearly as good. My further hope is that the 60th Anniversary JBL will be remarkable and affordable (relatively speaking), whether it's horn-based or not.

Of course the bigger problem for some is that they can have only one or two systems and therefore must decide what they like and make a big commitment to that choice. I don't really have to choose; thus I have a boatload of JBLs, most purchased at bargain prices, all of which please me in some way.

NONE of them is perfect. As my mood changes, I can associate with the personality of the system that moves me at the time. Only the L250s and Performance Series continually rise to the top.

I admire someone who can decide that there is a certain best system or driver or configuration and spend his time and energy perfecting that preference. I'm too fickle, too adventurous, too excitable, and too demanding to be satisfied with any one solution, but I can be happy with a variety of solutions.

In fact, for me, I think the exploration is as much fun as the discovery.
    Out.

Free spirit

Recoiling mid range

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Thanks for the link Dome I was searching last night LATE but who knows what I was searching for:dont-know I thought I was searching for horns but.....

Giskard I really want to hear the xxxxxx-xx when it is out as well. and thanks for your input as it is very similar to my views so far.
    Hi,
    I myself perfer cones, I find the sound deeper, richer and more defined. I have actually come on here to ask a question. I was wondering if u can recoil a Rola Celestion UL 10 mid range, or if not would u be able to give me some advice as to some-one who can
    Yours Hopefully
    Toni

Smile Welcome, Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Free spirit
    Hi,
    I myself perfer cones, I find the sound deeper, richer and more defined. I have actually come on here to ask a question. I was wondering if u can recoil a Rola Celestion UL 10 mid range, or if not would u be able to give me some advice as to some-one who can
    Yours Hopefully
    Toni
    recoil = recone? refoam?

Having your location active in your avatar will help.

For example, if you lived in SoCal, I'd tell you to go here:

http://www.donramon1.com/contents5.htm

About halfway down on the left is the Celestion box, and it indicates a 10" recone is only $40 per speaker. That's a great price.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 03-26-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: 'cuz I'm an idiot who doesn't know where he is on the forum
    Out.

Thread Information