Thread: Altec 886a?

arutkin

Altec 886a?

Anyone know what this model is? I can't find any info on it anywhere except that it was made in the mid 70's.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Zeke

Red face Altec 886A

Disclaimer: I am the least knowledgeable person using this board.

I read somewhere the Altec 886A was produced by Advent under the Altec name and sounds like a pair of "Advents on steroids". This doesn’t make them bad speakers by any means – the vintage Advent name is well respected in its own right – but I’m not certain how Altec purists classify them.

Personally, I’ve heard a set and I like them.

Zeke

I did a quick search of our library and the only reference I can find is here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ers/page07.jpg

What little I can infer is that this is a small bookshelf 2-way system. The drivers are not reconable which was something that Altec only did for their least espensive, entry level speakers. They have to predate 1974 since they are not in that year's catalog and Altec dropped the 8XX numbering system in 1975.

I can't imagine that they were made by Advent since Altec had no relationship with them. To my knowledge, the only outsourced drivers used by Altec were from CTS, and this was limited to a handful of models.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Zeke

Thanks!

Very helpful. As I said, I was merely "borrowing" from an Internet source and knew the info could be garbage.

Does this imply that my Model 5 Series IIs are markedly superior?

Thanks,

Zeke
    Last edited by Zeke; 11-24-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Zeke

Altec 886a

There are currently two sets of these speakers on eBay. Via this forum's help I have learned that they have minimal reference in the literature and may not have "genuine" Altec drivers although the cabinet's look top notch. (I am aware of a long-term set that I have enjoyed for years, but I'm not paying $250+ shipping.)

Does anyone know if the drivers will fatigue or, since they're not reconable, if they are available?

Thanks,

Zeke

Thread Information