Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chill Out Post

Chill Out Post

This post is in response to the now closed “Lansing? Audio? Off Topic???” thread. This post is unique in that it has a homework assignment. Everyone reading this post is expected to read the following:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.html

I post this because the above closed thread is the single greatest example that I can think of on this forum of an innocent thought being wildly misconstrued. This article focuses mainly on the responsibility of writers to ensure that they detach themselves from their own personally centered perspective. However, in a forum which consists of a community of members interacting, it is equally important that the readers detach themselves from their self centered environment.

The thread in question started with just a simple observation that maybe we should consider (not demand, insist or require – but consider) that we look at increasing the signal to noise ratio on this forum. To me, this is nothing controversial. I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t recognize that high noise levels on any forum will eventually degrade its utility and value to the point that participation can be perceived as more trouble than it is worth. No one has said that we have reached that point or are even anywhere near it. There was just a request that we might want to step back and ensure that we weren’t on the path of increasing noise levels.

Many of the responses that I saw, not only completely missed this point, but also saw signs of ulterior motives and conspiracies that were nowhere in evidence. Some have seen this as an attempt to censor the forum. Others have seen this as an attempt for a few privileged members to control the forum in a manner that excludes equal participation by the members at large. Not only was none of this ever intended, it was explicitly stated by the thread’s originator that he was against such outcomes. Nonetheless, the misconceptions have taken on a life of their own.

Like the thread title says, I would ask that everyone take this opportunity to chill out and think about what was actually requested in the first place. The problem of increasing noise level is real and irrational reactions are only making the problem worse. I’m not saying that we have to do anything different or make any changes to the forum operation. But could we at least talk about it rationally to see if there might be some common ground on improving the forum experience for the majority of our members?
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Obsolete
    Thanks Don! Good stuff as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t recognize that high noise levels on any forum will eventually degrade its utility and value to the point that participation can be perceived as more trouble than it is worth.
    It really has become more trouble than it's worth. I posted that early last year. It's easier to delete than explain. It's easier, and far more enjoyable, to just do all this by phone or VoIP. Have your people call my people and we'll do lunch.

"E-mail is fine if you just want to communicate content, but not any emotional material,"

And we all know how emotional we are about Altec and JBL. I've heard "rabid" and "fanatical" used in describing the membership of this forum by "outsiders".

"You know, I could have said that same thing to you in an e-mail, but you might not have detected the degree of enthusiasm in my voice!"

Bingo!

Thanks Don.

How do you always manage to get the tone just right...?

Widget

Hello Don

Good to see you, great post.

Thanks Rob

Thumbs up

very good read and, has made be stop,look and listen.

Chill out post ++

Hi Don, and you all.

I was the first to reply to Mr. Widgets post on the now closed thread. I find myself quite able to understand the language here on the forum, but of course it would have been much easier for me to reply in my language, as there are so many ways of understanding the American way of telling things.

The response on my input was as usual not in others comment. What does that mean? Is it that I am "way out if line"? or is it that I am so right that it does not need any comment?. I really want to know, because it will matter to me for further posts.

It really make me sad to read the closed thread and understand what was the real point from Widget, and not to be able to post a reply to clarify what I really mean because the thread is closed, and I can't express it good in American language. I try to, but feel I don't get through.

The reason I does try is because I really "feel at home" here on the forum. As I have pointed out before I am not a technical guy, but I bet you a big $$ that my experience doing listening is way above all that technical know-how...and sound is: how it is suppose to/not suppose to be... that is what it is all about. .is it not?

At the end I like to point out (again) that a thread should not be closed. It will die out by itself, as people will stop posting in it. This is a sort of censorship i do not like. People will quit this forum one by one if this will proceed, and what will be left then?

Rolf

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Thanks Don.

How do you always manage to get the tone just right...?

Widget
    It's a skill I greatly admire.

The level of literacy and reasoning of the forums is not of what one might call a high standard.

The term Yabbafest comes to mind.

I still think we should trial a forum call the tea room......

People reason, think and behave through association with what they value and who they are..... that's why they spout off.

We just need a means on controlling and influencing where and when they do this ..basic advertising theory.

I don't think the Off Topic forum really sells or appeals to anyone or anything..it does not encourage a response..people see it as the dumpster for all other. The problem is not everything off topic is useless information in context with the forums.

We need a place where members can gas bag

sincerely

Ian

EDIT: As noted above by Don and discussed privately elsewhere....with this media..a one way discussion ..its very probably that the reader will miss the point of a poster entirely sometimes unless he has 6th sense as noted below.

I do it, everyone does it at times...we like to chat on the side and have fun ..I was not single out North America...it is a global forum in case you had not noticed. I regulary skim the forums and subscribe to a dozen threads or more.......statistically I am right.

The issue and point is ask yourself this . Why do you reply to a post or a thread? Because you can contribute and bring something new or missed or to help the poster. Or do you just like to post just for your own selfish reasons.

We all know what the problems are .......how about posting some solutions..that was my intent!

Edge I often post at 4.00 am in the morning in pitch black so as to fit in with your time zone on some discussions....forgive my keyboard skills......I will not do so in future. You need to taken everything said here with a grain of salt and have a thick skin!

The fine print :I am also prone to exageration and generalisations

RIP 2009
    Sheesh, you guys - can't ya' do like Don says and chill out??

I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion. Virtually every website I visit has an Off Topic forum, whether it's called Anything Goes, The Basement, or whatever, for talking about anything you want, as long as it's not flaming, too dirty, ridiculing, etc. They're for keeping this "off topic" stuff that people want to talk about out of specific "subject" forums, so people can easily ignore them if they want.

If someone starts posting stupid stuff, ignore it, and the thread soon dies. But if you keep the replies coming, you're basically condoning/accepting whatever behavior is being presented. If it's too far off base, moderators will eventually delete it.

So there've been some goofy posts here - just ignore them. But to have everyone at each other's throats about something so insignificant seems patently ridiculous to me... What's the big dang deal? :dont-know

EDIT: I see one or more previous messages have been deleted, so my first line seems somewhat out of place. I hate when that happens...

John

Obsolete
    There really isn't any big deal at all John. We're just thinking up things to post while we are waiting for hard drives to format and the hot water for tea to boil. We aren't paying for the storage or bandwidth for this site so post away. I don't care if it takes anyone ten extra minutes to slog through a thread to find something of value to them. That's their problem.

Exactly..I often post between solder joints to give my eyes a rest..time I got some spec's!

Muhhahaah.......Who said I was no longer a moderator..I still have moderation rights on Forum issues.

I'm just having a joke..I'll edit my profile at some point..

Smile

Some of thse same issues were broached here, so I resubmit the thread for your consideration.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=8933
    Out.

I have just tried to follow what this is all about and am just completelylostandihaveasplittingheadake!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Wait a minute! Let's just blame it all on Al Queda!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

This really is not the best way to discuss things. If we could all meet at the local pub it would be much more productive. Unfortunately we can't. One of the frustrations of the internet.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec

EDIT: I see one or more previous messages have been deleted, so my first line seems somewhat out of place. I hate when that happens...

John
    Yeah...I deleted a couple of posts...to save space and maintain global harmony.

Sorry to goof you up, John .
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information