This post is in response to the now closed “Lansing? Audio? Off Topic???” thread. This post is unique in that it has a homework assignment. Everyone reading this post is expected to read the following:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.html

I post this because the above closed thread is the single greatest example that I can think of on this forum of an innocent thought being wildly misconstrued. This article focuses mainly on the responsibility of writers to ensure that they detach themselves from their own personally centered perspective. However, in a forum which consists of a community of members interacting, it is equally important that the readers detach themselves from their self centered environment.

The thread in question started with just a simple observation that maybe we should consider (not demand, insist or require – but consider) that we look at increasing the signal to noise ratio on this forum. To me, this is nothing controversial. I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t recognize that high noise levels on any forum will eventually degrade its utility and value to the point that participation can be perceived as more trouble than it is worth. No one has said that we have reached that point or are even anywhere near it. There was just a request that we might want to step back and ensure that we weren’t on the path of increasing noise levels.

Many of the responses that I saw, not only completely missed this point, but also saw signs of ulterior motives and conspiracies that were nowhere in evidence. Some have seen this as an attempt to censor the forum. Others have seen this as an attempt for a few privileged members to control the forum in a manner that excludes equal participation by the members at large. Not only was none of this ever intended, it was explicitly stated by the thread’s originator that he was against such outcomes. Nonetheless, the misconceptions have taken on a life of their own.

Like the thread title says, I would ask that everyone take this opportunity to chill out and think about what was actually requested in the first place. The problem of increasing noise level is real and irrational reactions are only making the problem worse. I’m not saying that we have to do anything different or make any changes to the forum operation. But could we at least talk about it rationally to see if there might be some common ground on improving the forum experience for the majority of our members?