Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL Paragon

JBL Paragon

Hi - I'm new to the board. Glad I found you!

My father who just passed away a bit over a year ago owned a set of Paragon's. As a matter of fact, we still have them. The speakers are in Puerto Rico (my mother's house) and we are not sure what to do with them. Is there much interest in these anymore?

BTW, the speakers are in terrific working condition. In the 70's, he used an old Marantz receiver with a Thorens TT. Later on he upgraded the components (Linn LP12, Naim Pre, Naim Mono Amps, Crown CD, Yamaha CD) but would never change the Paragon's. In his view, no speaker could ever replace his JBL's.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Cheers!

Thoughts Appreciated

Hi,

Started this thread earlier. Lot's of views but no comments.

I'm just trying to find out if there is still a market for this system. If so, we will try to sell by posting in the marketplace and/or audiogon.

Feedback is greatly appreiciated.

Thanks!

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Musica
    Hi - I'm new to the board. Glad I found you!

My father who just passed away a bit over a year ago owned a set of Paragon's. As a matter of fact, we still have them. The speakers are in Puerto Rico (my mother's house) and we are not sure what to do with them. Is there much interest in these anymore?

BTW, the speakers are in terrific working condition. In the 70's, he used an old Marantz receiver with a Thorens TT. Later on he upgraded the components (Linn LP12, Naim Pre, Naim Mono Amps, Crown CD, Yamaha CD) but would never change the Paragon's. In his view, no speaker could ever replace his JBL's.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Cheers!
    I'm a bit puzzled, you don't seem to know anything about paragon. Have you actualyy seen them? Did he have two of these?

BR
    Roland

Cool It IS a PARAGON after all

Quote Originally Posted by Musica
    Later on he upgraded the components (Linn LP12, Naim Pre, Naim Mono Amps, Crown CD, Yamaha CD) but would never change the Paragon's. In his view, no speaker could ever replace his JBL's.

And, though I have never heard one, let alone two, a lot of people feel that they are the peak of performance, as their name suggests.

You are welcome to bring a pair by my house and let me hear them, anytime!

Mike Scott in SJ, CA Nothing could ever replace MY JBL's either!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Paragon is a single integrated speaker system, though it disassembles into two halves.

It's worth between $10,000 and $20,000, depending upon vintage, components, and condition.

Shipping is a problem.

It will have to be professionally crated for safe transport.

You MIGHT be able to find a buyer for it in Puerto Rico.

Otherwise, think "Asia."

Yes - It is a JBL Paragon

Thanks for your responses. Not sure what created the confusion, but the speaker system is indeed a JBL Paragon. We've had the system for 30 years. Trust me, my back still hurts a little as I remember helping my father move the mammoth piece of furniture on several ocassions.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

Pictures - Soon

John - Sorry but I will not be able to post pictures for a few weeks. I live in Columbus, OH and the speakers are in Puerto Rico. I'll have someone go over to the house to take pictures and, also, get the serial numbers. In the mean time, I did go to the library section and copied a picture out of the JBL Home catalog - see below. This is exactly the JBL system that is currently in my parents home. BTW, no one lives in the house these days. The house keeper does not have a digital camera. That is why it will take a few weeks.

Best regards,

Musica

Paragon

Do you got one or two of them? What price do you ask?

Rolf

canīt be two. that was the reason for the confusion, the mention of a "pair" of paragon. if he indeed does have a pair than he can trade them for a new 3 series bimmer. regards, tony
    4311, Jubal L65 and Klipschorns in main system

Welcome to our forum.

Lemme give you the straight dope:

The market for these is quite stong, trust me. As stated earlier- the Asian market for these is stronger still. However, if you are expecting anyone to actually buy these (or make offers) without seeing them first [detailed pictures of the actual item(s)]- you're out of luck. It's a lot of money, and caution flags are always raised high in these situations. I think I speak for the rest of the "would-be" buyers when I say: "We'll wait the few weeks for pics".

If (and when) you actually DO post some images, and can make them available to the continental USA- they will sell themselves instantly.

All - Thanks for your comments. Only have 1 Paragon (sorry for the confusion). I am making the arrangements to get detailed pictures and serial numbers. As soon as I have the info, I will post.

Best regards and have a great weekend!

Mike (musica)

Keep and enjoy 'em!

Hello,

If circumstances allow, why don't you keep it for yourself? Let me point out why. (1) I think the Paragon sounds great, assuming it's properly maintained. You've heard it, so you ought to know what I mean. (2) It's also a beautiful piece of furniture, as well as a terrific conversation piece. (3) I'm willing to bet that its value could appreciate even more over time, as long as its condition is kept up.
    Aside from the above, for sympathetic reasons, too, in remembrance of your beloved father.

Just my two cents.
    Steve K

Steve K - Unfortunately, my wife and I move quite a bit due to our professions. It would not be practical.

I prefer to sell it to someone that is going to trully appreciate this classic.

Regards,

Mike (musica)

Welcome to the forum!

It's too bad you did not have them here in the states.

What part of Columbus are you in?

greetings from the east side!

Ron

Thread Information