Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL Control 5

JBL Control 5

Does anyone know what the driver compliment is for this speaker? JBL Pro spec's do not list them. I might have a line on a pair of these cheap and at the very least look like they need new surrounds.

Yank

Woofer: C5003
    Tweeter: C5002

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Con...trol%205WH.pdf

The newer "Plus" version is mirror-imaged, I believe....

Control 5

yep no problem to re surround the box can sometime be a bit of a problem to break open, be patient they are cute speakers.
    Regards
    Michael

Tweeters are NLA so if they are bad I would pass on them. I used a hair dryer to soften the sealant used to glue the halves together. It is like a tar substance that can be reused.

BTW, I think I have a pair of the tweeters available to me. Got a pair at one of the local shops I work with, last time I checked. Anyone need 'em, lemme know, and I can ask about price...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Okay so I won these off of Ebay. Supposedly need only new surrounds.

Yank

GordonW, if you can get me a price on the tweets, please do. Just in case

Yank
    Attached Images Attached Images  

renaissanceman
    I don't know how the tweeter can be discontinued, I had no trouble buying new ones from ATC audio in Springfield MA last summer, they were pretty inexpensive for OEMs as well. I'm sure they must still be available as Control 5s have been around for years now and are everywhere.

JBL 4645
    It’s possible to replace the foam surround with rubber edge surround for a more durable and lasting strength.

That’s what I did when the foam surround finally gave in, I stripped of an edge rubber surround from a different loudspeaker an Eltax 6 ½ “ and applied it to the centre channel with a messy sticky silicon.

Since I did this oh what must be 2 years ago now I’ve had no problems with it.

I’ve been using JBL control 5 for 17 years now

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    they are cute speakers.

In deed they are there versatile easy to move around and experiment with they give a good sound when set-up.

I have been using the pair pictured now for about 8 months. Got the MTC-51 wall mounts and a SB-2 subwoofer using a 90 Hz crossover. Not a bad 2-channel sounding system but every now and then these tweeters can sound a bit "sizzling.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    I have been using the pair pictured now for about 8 months. Got the MTC-51 wall mounts and a SB-2 subwoofer using a 90 Hz crossover. Not a bad 2-channel sounding system but every now and then these tweeters can sound a bit "sizzling.

Yank
    bigyank

You can hear that as well in the HF, I’ve changed the fronts the way they used to be since I last posted here. I’ve had the DCX2496 LPMCS loudspeaker management crossover system running the HF with crossover points set at 1Khz 24db L-R where the bass mid stops at and where the HF starts at.

I used it for a short while before changing around to a different type of configuration, where I’ve set the bass mid with crossover point down at 510Hz and placed a control 1 on top of the JBL control 5 and use it as mid to high range to give a little more clarity and dynamic range over the LCR matching fronts. The bass mid on the JBL control 5 sounds smoother and thou I can push it too far it based on its technical tolerance level it has been a rather successful little project.

Still I would like all the bass mid drivers to have rubber, I sleep better knowing there going to last many years and will stand up to the demands when I play films.

Happy holidays! I introduced some equalization into my system driving the Control 5's and this has helped tremendously. I might take a stab at a crossover build as I have a new pair of tweeters and my wonderful wife bought me a c5003 for Christmas

Now all I need to do is order a 2nd c5003 and then make a new crossover and see if I can tame that sizzling tweeters.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Cool Charge-Coupled Control-5's...

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Now all I need to do is order a 2nd c5003 and then make a new crossover and see if I can tame that sizzling tweeters.

Yank
    I went in and replaced the (one) cap in the crossover with a a pair of mylars of twice the value (actually four of the same value) and ran a battery/resistor out the back. No more sizzle here. At the very least, replace the electrolytic cap (4.7@150V IIRC) with a Mylar or something, bypass is already in there. The crossover comes out the back and probably needs some hot-melt glue to hold it together, mine both had loose glue joints.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

JBL 4645
    I think the crossover should be re-designed it should be fitted inside in a vertical position I think you get the general idea.

What order is the crossover 1st or 2nd?

Thread Information