Thread: 18 inch corner horn "FATMAN"

18 inch corner horn "FATMAN"

This Cabinet was developed with the help of many freinds who love horns and the power they provide.
    I have made many of the K type Corner horns of the 15inch variety over the last 30 years. one of my favorits is the VitaVox Canadian version of the Khorn.
    So after making Many clones of this version I decided after seeing an artical about Paul Klipsh's Passing to make a Tribute Cabinet. an 18 inch cabinet was planed.
    I got together with a good freind {Dave}and using his cad system and drawing skill made an enlarged copy of the Vita Vox Blue print that I have.
    so constuction began. We decided to make two versions of this cabinet,Dave made one pair and I the other, Mine was sticking to the plan and only scalled up 22% larger. Dave's design was the same Horn flare, but used side chambers to enlarge the volume of the compresion chamber.
    This was to see the difference the air chamber volume made on the low end performance. So basicaly the horn flare on the two variations of the cabinets were the same and only the air volume was changed.

The cabinets were made using 3/4 inch Baltic birch thoughout. 14 sheets of 5'x5' were used on mine with the full wave guides and 9 sheets were used on Dave's, with out the wave guides.
    I will compress the pics of these two versions. and post
    Andrew Vanderkruk

I am waiting for the results.

It sounds like a nice experiment, also will be nice to see pics of both horns when you get the chance.

Thanks, Ron

Here is Pics of the modified Vitavox 15inch with reduced wave guides and a 18inch 4 way enlarged Vitavox with the full wave guides.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

sa660

Vitavox blue print

I will be interested by the drawing of the vitvox corner horn.
    Would you share the cad files?
    Thanks

Hi I have an original 1953 Blue print Signed by Harry Gardner, the draftsman that made the drawing for Canada cabinet {the makers of the Canadian version of this corner horn} The cad file is for the 18 inch.
    I do have hand drawing that was made from the blueprint , good for making the original's. and we like to make cabinets too. [email protected].

I will look them up and post them

Andrew

here is a photo of the 1954 Blueprint drawn and sighned by Harry Gardner, The draftsman that made the Drawing for Canada Cabinet the makers of the Candian version of this corner horn.

the cad file I have is 22% larger and taken from this blue print

also I have a hand drawn set good for making them.
    kvanderk@ golden.net
    Andrew

pics

Andrew

Here are some drawings so you can see the complexity of the cabinets that were made. The first is the vita vox enlarged 22%, the second is vita vox enlarged with the side chamber to increase the chamber volume.
    The third is the FATMAN with the Molded sand composite chamber . The Horn flare was drawn using a 32hz flare constant and accuratly drawn through the rear portion, this makes the chamber a"D" shape which increases the chamber volume still more. We also increased the height, width and depth of the cabinet and made the back board wider. This pulls it out from the corner and allows for the larger horn flare. Also the horn path is a 4 path sectoral with 4 individual paths that are separated by the web whitch supports the composite chamber. The chamber is almost 2inchs thick and adds a large amount of mass It is molded in 2 peices and each weighs 90lb.

JBLGUY
    9 Oclock

So here are some of the response curves to show the diference on the cabinets that were made .The Tribute Vs the Fatman.
    Andrew

Thread Information