Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV Sentry III

EV Sentry III

Does anyone know what was the type of bass speaker in the Sentry III?

Thanks

Sentry III

Hi Guido

Have you read the pdf article that includes the Sentry III in a horn/reflex box comparison ? It's downloadable at a German Language Horn Article .

Straight jpgs of the same article are viewable at jpgs of this same article

The EV woofer that has your interest is clearly viewable at foamed surround

I have a 1990s era EV price book - but was unable to find anything about replacement parts for the Sentry III.

regards <> Earl K

Wow!

Thanks for that one Earl!

pic of sentry III

here is a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice looking crossover... yeah, EV really knew how to impress!

Widget

paragon

B-15

B-15. Sounds good at home, i think, but not at very high power level.

Eckhard

I have the spec of the SENTRY III .

Too big for the forum

If you want a copy of this PDF, email me

[email protected]

cheers

EV Sentry III

I just bought a pair of these. They do sound very nice indeed. Much better than the two-way speakers I've tried such as JBL 4430 and Altec 19, but my JBL 2445 on 2360 with 2226 in 4560 cabs still do sound better, especially at higher listening levels. I would say they are on the same level as my JBL Olympus.Name:  DSCF3214.jpg
Views: 13317
Size:  61.1 KB

Regis
    Just got my EV Sentry III's up and running last Friday afternoon. Ken from Upland Loudspeaker Service did a nice job on the refoam and I was pleased with the results. Wrestled the big 15's back in the cab and hooked them up and I was surprised at how smooth they sounded. Very detailed and open, yet there's nothing shy about them whatsoever. The big horns make guitar and piano sound amazing. I've owned a lot of loudspeakers and this is the first pair that does piano really well.

Clean and powerful is how I'd best describe them. Smooth jazz like Boney James sounds great, but then we had to see just what they could do. Put some well-mastered modern rock thru the CD player and let them haul. Thank God we're set up in an industrial center, because with nobody there on a late Sunday afternoon, we hooked them up and let them run hard. They are easily permanent hearing damage loudspeakers. I did a quick hook up to a Luxman R series reciever that put out maybe 50-75 wpc and it drove these beasts to a concert level beating. You could hear them two blocks away with out any difficulty.

They do need room to run, the more the better. Not selling this pair anytime soon. What made life much easier is having the pair on moving dollies. It's nice to move the 156 pound each, beasts with ease. Roll them in position, use a shop cart for the electronics and a couple of portable chairs (and beer!) and you've got yourself a concert. Nobody to piss off either, no neighbors and even better, no significant others (wives, girlfriends etc...) complaining about them either. I'm stoked and so far, best pair of speakers I've ever owned.

They're finally home, after picking them up in a carport in North Hollywood, where they lived outside. They've been dropped, slopped and plopped all over town. One of them has light structural damage and there are numerous small scars on them. The grills are in good shape with only a couple of visible snags. I'm leaving them as is, because that's their story; unloved and too big for just about everyone and definitely a zero WAF! They're my baby's now and I love my big beasts.

JBLGUY
    Those Ev horns are some of the best horns ever made IMO
    I have a pair and they are very nice indeed. Way way better than any Altec's ever did, The resin they are made of is very dead and non ringy.
    I always loved them for their gentle and smooth sound. Never harsh either.
    GREAT HORNs by EV

EV Sentry III

Here my pair in my living room . I love them so much !!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...0&d=1387228036

Here my pair in my living room . I love them so much

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...0&d=1387228036[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by memoire101 View Post
    Here my pair in my living room . I love them so much

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...0&d=1387228036
    [/QUOTE]

Very nice. Do you use any low frequency EQ? There was an optional electronic equalizer model SEQ for them that extended the 3dB down point from 40 Hz to 28Hz. I think there was also a cover that reduced the port size if you used the EQ.

I've got a pair of EV Interface C speakers which still play perfectly after more than 30 years. The foam lens on the tweeters has disintegrated but the drivers are still in great shape even after being hooked up to a Carver M1.5t for a couple of decades until I got tired of fixing the Carver.

EV Sentry III Brochure

There was an optional electronic equalizer model SEQ for them that extended the 3dB down point from 40 Hz to 28Hz. I think there was also a cover that reduced the port size if you used the EQ.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed...I also own a pair of Sentry III (made in Switzerland, does anybody know when EV build the Sentry III there for the European market?)
    Last year I found a studio version (19") of the SEQ-3 which I modified fitting the original parameters of the Sentry III SEQ (changing some resistors).
    I also closed the lower opening. The cover for this can be found sometimes screwed inside on the bottom of the Sentries.

It sounds so much better with SEQ-3 and mounted cover, not comparable with the sound before.
    Just try to find one of this SEQ-3. If anybody wants to know which resistors have to be changed with which values, please ask me, then I will search for my notes.

Cheers
    Ralf
    16 Hz can not be substituted

Thread Information