Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian's (& Bo's) 4345 project

Hello Ian

Now if the blonde showed up in the box with the caps!! That would be news! I would also be placing an order Nice caps the whole project looks like its gonna be a stunner. Keep the pictures comming!

Regards Rob

Rob,

Well I already had 2 pair of Hovlands left overs from the 2344 crossovers so it seemed logical to complete the job here.

As the Black soldier in the movie Pretator said,

"I'm gonna have me some fun, I'm gonna have be some fun".....

Here is the link to those switches you very kindly sent over:

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/bosoz-p1.htm

If you are looking for a top flight preamp....I am happy to assist
    (it runs balanced and unablanced inputs and outputs..all highly bias @ 40ma in class A)

Hey, I'm trying to keep my eyes of all the nice JBL Goodies on E bay at the moment, Le10H, 2245s and the 4315's wooooee.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow!! Ian you do some nice work! Lot's of good stuff up. Just got a pair of 2123H's to try out. Can't wait to get them. Without the passive crossover in the 4345/4344 you get a rissing response from about 800hz and up. For biamping with steep filters at 1.2K I have to notch it out. So I am hoping the 2123 will be "flat" in that region so I don't have to EQ them in the midrange like that. Let you know how it goes.

Rob

Completed one baffle yesterday.

Looks good.

The frame around the baffle really finishes the job off nicely!

Its not exactly the same as the drawing posted by Bo, but none the less conveys the same impression.

We used scrap 46 x 90 mm hardwood and ripped it down to 46 x 25mm lengths. Mitre joints were not necessary (and a bastard to fit), we used butt joints as I will be painting the exterior (shock horror I know.....may even consider veneer at some stage...very expensive though).

So the frame sits about 10mm proud of the baffle, that's about 3/8's for you Yankees Boooooys. (If I make some frames later on, I'll fit foam inserts around the edges to soften any diffraction effects)

The frame was fitted after clamping, gluing and pre drilling with two inch nails (punched in). I then used the plunge router with a 45 degree bit and roller bearing. It was a bit of trial and error on a scrape length of timber to gauge the right depth.

I opted for about 16 mm depth in the end, that gives an obvious visible angle and still leaves some meat on the bone. I think cutting it almost to the inner edge like JBL did is a risk and would be prone to chipping and damage.

Unless anyone can tell more about the blue baffles I'll be painting them in the Dulux effects two colour finish (arab sand) with a sea sponge.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 11-01-2003 at 04:49 PM.

This blue colour JBL use looks to have a ting of red in it.

I wonder is Giskard can tell us what's on the side of his paint can or what's in the mix. Hopefully its not a trade secret like Coca Cola.

Ian

(I realise this is not world best practice for colour matching...I'm just looking for ideas and feedback)
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 11-01-2003 at 05:03 PM.

Doh!

I'm having trouble getting to the paint store - the only qualified tech works weekdays only, and I can't get there in-time! Ugh! If you're pressed, I'll make some arrangements this week.

Sorry, JBL Blue Fans...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Dude,

Painting will be a few Moons off yet, so don't race on nmy account.

I think we should just shirt front JBL and askem.

Any one know any one in The JBL Northridge paint shop.

It would certainly help a few of us out around here...is the paint lsited in the parts list...muhahahahaha

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 11-01-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Ya know

You might just call them up and ask em! They might tell you! tell em you want to paint your listening room JBL Blue.

Why do they use blue baffles?

Ian

well

Someone must have thought it looked good!

Step Into the Blue

Ian,

Are you going to try and color match the grills too?

dB

Last edited by Daniel B; 11-02-2003 at 03:08 PM.

Probably not,

But if anyone can point to a source of supply I will investigate further

In the mean time I will continue with my dream of using the Blonde's cheese cloth underwear...that should be very acoustically transparent...Muhahahahaha..ha ha.

Ian

Sorry about the lack of progress updates but I have had a recent back injury which I have now full recovered so now back on the case.

Both baffles are virtually complete, made the rear horn driver supports last weekend.

Also in todays mail a nice surprise, some L pad knobs care of our resident JBL guru Giskard..thankyou so much for your assistance.

More progress updates shortly..

Ian

Okay, some news

Today I am back on the job...too many projects not enough time.....so whats new.

Well, I have allocated today for heavy duty mods to the existing boxes.

The front panels are now out and in process of tidying up the innards.

If all goes according to plan both new baffles will be installed this time next weekend ready for finishing

Ian
    Ian

The original boxes are now been completely gutted awaiting installation of new bracing and batting.

This was necessary to accommodate the side ports and make provision for the rear access panel.

The more I prepare the cabinets the more I admire the way the original 4345 enclosures were designed, the whole is great than the sum of the parts.

The manner in which the internals are arranged forms a matrix of surprising rigidity.

Below is my best attempt at simulating (BassBox) the tuning of the enclosure/tuning (incl virtual volume) combination based on actual port dimensions and empirical data advised by GT.

Ian

Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 12-18-2003 at 01:04 PM.

Thread Information