Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a damm good solid state power amp

bryston 4b sst.lots of current 20 year warranty and the added benefit of us canadian exchange.imho it will out perform the rotel all day

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    I've posted ad nauseum about the merits of old Yamaha Pro amps. Use the search feature and you'll find info on the PC2002, PC4002 and PC5002. They were built in a time when the dollar-yen ratio allowed Yamaha to *way* overbuild them. They come up on craiglist and ebay now and again for about 10 cents on the dollar.

But who needs a 96lb 440 watt/channel amp for home use ?

jblnut
    I do . Yeah, it's almost better for those "in the know" about these great power amps and their M series cousins to keep prices down. An MX1000u sold for $1246.00 recently on the bay', scary... But for the general forum membership, the greater good would be to find someone willing to take a chance and post their own story. An MX1000u will give you a S/N of better than 125db and approx. 3db's of clean dynamic headroom above it's 260wpc and drive a 2 ohm load all day long with .003 THD. Did I mention class A or almost 1kw at 1ohm?. As they used to say to Mikey, "try it, you'll like it!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jbl 2245h
    hello. can the 2242h cone be install in the 2245h frame. also I had my crossover custom built from dss sound labs I have 2245h/2202h/2425h/2404h the crossover freq is 200-1200-5000 and has a 95 db at 1 watt . what do I have to change in the crossover to bring every thing up to 99 db at 1 watt. the jbl 2245h is 95 db at 1 watt and the 2242h is 99 db at 1 watt

Actually ,

I it would male a hell of a lot more sense to biamp the whole mess!

Members who insist on full passive networks with the 2245 have got it wrong! Running through that big choke and capacitor across the woofer will destroy whatever your favourite amp has to offer.

Ian

SS Power amp

I know you guys don't like Bose but the 1800 and 1801 were rock solid amps that put out an honest 250 WPC, and seem to go for remarkably short money and they are bridgeable, 1/4 in inputs so you need adapters for RCA.
    Heavy though, just under 90lbs, a massive toroidal power supply and tons of heat sinking.
    A friend in college had a four channel version, but I called Bose and they claimed they never made one, anyone else ever seen that?
    Harry

Alex Lancaster
    The 2242 coil is about twice as wide as the 2245, so forget it; I have a couple of 2241's with the wider gaps, 2242 coils and spiders, and 2245 cones and foams, have not tried them yet, hope they do not explode .

Quote Originally Posted by (pm'd to Ian Mackenzie)
    jbl 2245h
    hello. can the 2242h cone be install in the 2245h frame. also I had my crossover custom built from dss sound labs I have 2245h/2202h/2425h/2404h the crossover freq is 200-1200-5000 and has a 95 db at 1 watt . what do I have to change in the crossover to bring every thing up to 99 db at 1 watt. the jbl 2245h is 95 db at 1 watt and the 2242h is 99 db at 1 watt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I it would make a hell of a lot more sense to biamp the whole mess!

Members who insist on full passive networks with the 2245 have got it wrong! Running through that big choke and capacitor across the woofer will destroy whatever your favourite amp has to offer.
    So, you got the pm, but my supposition (Post #29) was correct! - although unanswered... Thanks for posting it Ian - good advice for any one using or considering same.

Now, a reminder to all us JBL enthusiasts here:

Don't go recommending gear when clueless on the set-up being used. Doesn't make sense to start diagnosing with so little data, "Dr. Dr..."

In this case, the amp was believed to be underperforming - and maybe it was. But, there now seems to have been some incorrect and unnecessary bashing of gear.

Knowing that this potentially beautiful DIY setup was not biamped was materially important to being able to give "sound" advice.

What gene might consider, is to refer to the 4345 Owner's Manual for their suggestions of how a four-way might be deployed (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4345.pdf), and then go out and trial an external crossover, biamping these, even using any of his prior amps. I'm certain he will be VERY pleased with the outcome!

Always be thinking "signal path?" and "gain structure?", people...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I didn't recall seeing anyone talking about running a Camco amp either.

I therefore consider the debate incomplete..although it would be out of their price range

Gene might wish to post a pic of his crossovers and his currrent set up and the tuning of the woofers.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell
    bryston 4b sst.lots of current 20 year warranty and the added benefit of us canadian exchange.imho it will out perform the rotel all day
    I've been a Bryston fan for years. I have three 4BST amps, a 3BST, and a pair of 7BNRB monos. They sound great and are pretty bulletproof. Great warranty, and nice people to deal with.

hmolwitz, you must be the other guy besides me who thought the 1800's were great amps...I used 2 of them for 10 years in a band's pa. for the bottom of a 4 way system driving two 2225's per channel. They were very conservitively rated..ours made almost 400 wpc. into 4 ohms at 0db.+ nothin'....

Thanks for the info guys.To Ian Mackenzie question I have a nakamichi pa-7 power amp .technics su-a4 preamp samsung-hdmi dvd/cd player and a sony ps1 model scph 1001. my speakers are 12 cub-ft drivers- 2245h.mid bass 2202h- midrange 2425h- tweeter 2404h. ports dim- 5 inches in diam-5 5/6 in lenth. tuned to 25 or 26 hz.crossover is 250hz -1200khz-5000khz. power rated at 600 watts per channel . tv- hd 65 inch with direct tv hd. later I will buy a bigger amp

Quote Originally Posted by gene
    ...crossover is 250hz -1200khz-5000khz. ... power rated at 600 watts per channel ... later I will buy a bigger amp
    gene...

You might try biamping these beauties of yours. Get the 2245H on it's own amp - doesn't need much, but does like something with solid output impedance. You'll appreciate wonderfully improved performance.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information