Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high end JBLs?

MJC

high end JBLs?

I just set some guy straight about JBLs over at AVS. He didn't have a clue that there were High End JBLs. So I showed him this:
    http://www.jbl.com/home/k2_story/def...=US&Region=USA

Well done!
    Paying debt to Karma...

When I hit the powerball I am buying 6 of them for HT.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage
    Or you could just get this:

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA
    Out.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage
    You and me both. If the $365 million winner decides to take the lump sum, they walk away with a staggering $124 million AFTER taxes.

YOWSAH!

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Just remember what GT said, " Five (or seven) identical speakers are the best way to re-create the sound space that the authors of the recording intended."

Having 7 identical speakers, I can support that statement 100%, although my L212s aren't in the same class as the K2s.
    If I had 7 K2s I'd need a room at least twice as big!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    You and me both. If the $365 million winner decides to take the lump sum, they walk away with a staggering $124 million AFTER taxes.
    What!? So the remaining $241 million goes to Iraq!? Fuck that shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What!? So the remaining $241 million goes to Iraq!? Fuck that shit...
    Not quite. If a winner takes the lump sum then they receive 60% of the "Jackpot" (they get 100% if they take the annuity).

Then the government gets their share.

Of the governments share (what is the top marginal rate now? 28%?), the military gets only a small fraction (based on the current budget), the bulk of which is wealth transfer payments, then some for schools, roads and other important stuff.

As an Army Medic (91W), IMHO, the more that gets to Iraq, the sooner we come home.

On topic: my 5.1 set up is now using 5 similar, but not identical vintage JBL speakers. L112 fronts, 4411 center, L96 rear. Certainly not as nice as the K2 9800 series, but it's the best I can afford now.
    Paying debt to Karma...

MJC

house for K2s

If I sold my house and bought a mobile home, then I could afford all the K2s I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    If I sold my house and bought a mobile home, then I could afford all the K2s I wanted.
    Then you wouldnt have a room to keep them in! But, yours would be the most jammin trailer park in the nation!

scottyj

....of all the JBL speakers built in the company's history- none appeal to me more than the K2 9800. I can't explain it- but the design just seems "right" to me in every way imaginable. I've never even heard a pair. In fact- if anyone on this forum (pref east coast) has a pair they would let me listen to- I'll buy dinner.

norealtalent
    Snooze looze! Where's my dinner?

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Then you wouldnt have a room to keep them in! But, yours would be the most jammin trailer park in the nation!

A double wide, 60' long or better, built with my own floor plan, that would contain a large HT, maybe 1/2 the total!
    Ah, but where would I want to set up house. That's the real question.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    ....of all the JBL speakers built in the company's history- none appeal to me more than the K2 9800. I can't explain it- but the design just seems "right" to me in every way imaginable. I've never even heard a pair. In fact- if anyone on this forum (pref east coast) has a pair they would let me listen to- I'll buy dinner.
    I hear that, along with the 250Ti. As far as hearing them, I still haven heard the 3 top of the lines yet. PS, Array, K2 9800.
    The last top of the line JBL I saw in Nevada was the 250Ti in '87, and before that, the L212 in '78, which I bought.
    Now if I could just decide where I'd put up a large, large Mobile, I could actually afford the K2s. It would have to be at least an acre, like I've got now, so I wouldn't wake the neighbors.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Just remember what GT said, " Five (or seven) identical speakers are the best way to re-create the sound space that the authors of the recording intended."

Having 7 identical speakers, I can support that statement 100%, although my L212s aren't in the same class as the K2s.
    If I had 7 K2s I'd need a room at least twice as big!

Yeah, I know what he said, and in my consumer-centric reality, that's why there's six PT800s (plus a PC600) in my set up.

However, I betcha the Synthesis guys have a thing or two to bring to the debate, including the SDEC-2500A and Digital Acoustic Calibration System™ (DACS™). At the very least, the low end of the K2 S9800 needs some reinforcement, in this case with four S1S-EX 18" subs.

But hey, I'm with you, if I only had enough money for seven K2 S9800s, that'd be just fine for me.
    Out.

Thread Information