Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midrange Dented dust cap

Nightbrace

Midrange Dented dust cap

I have 2 LE5-6 midranges that have dented dust caps, is there anything I can do to remedy the problem easily? These speakers will be used as rears in a HT set-up so its not too important, but thought that someone may have figured something out.

That's an aluminum dust cap. You wont be able to pull the dent out. You may be able to get a new cap from JBL and replace it though.

Nightbrace
    Cap appears to be plastic, its not too bad, would I be able to remove it and replace it with one from JBL? I'll post pics to show what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    That's an aluminum dust cap. You wont be able to pull the dent out. You may be able to get a new cap from JBL and replace it though.
    ouch
    Always fun learning more.......

Nightbrace
    pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yes, you can order (at least you could at one time) and replace these.
    yes, you can destroy an otherwise perfectly good speaker if you're not careful.

-grumpy

They may look like plastic, but they are Aluminum. If any one has a pair that they can spare? Please let me know as I need a pair so I can get some L96's up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    yes, you can destroy an otherwise perfectly good speaker if you're not careful.

-grumpy
    wise words......

Besides.. From the "Experts" on ebay who sell speakers I've learned over the years that these dents in the dust caps "Does Not Affect the Sound",

why hell, I've seen some on Ebay that are completely smashed, holes in them, no surrounds and all of this "Does Not Affect the Sound",
    why, in one on Ebay there was only the basket , no cone, nothin' and according to the "Expert" selling this fine speaker it sounded GREAT!!!!!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about those small dents, esp. when you're going to be using them for rears....

Talking Right on man!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    wise words......

Besides.. From the "Experts" on ebay who sell speakers I've learned over the years that these dents in the dust caps "Does Not Affect the Sound",

why hell, I've seen some on Ebay that are completely smashed, holes in them, no surrounds and all of this "Does Not Affect the Sound",
    why, in one on Ebay there was only the basket , no cone, nothin' and according to the "Expert" selling this fine speaker it sounded GREAT!!!!!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about those small dents, esp. when you're going to be using them for rears....

Before attempting the following, PLEASE READ important note below.*

In fact, those "in the know" are aware that dust caps are really just like speaker grilles, necessary evils to protect from unwanted objects, like fingers, dust, or loose parakeets from getting inside, and also like grilles they put the finishing touches on things, making them look just right, Goldilocks.

So just pop those things outta there and let those gaps breathe like they're supposed to. Sure they'll looked weird, but you'll know the engineers finally got one over on the chumps in marketing.

*Please don't really pop those caps off. It's only a joke. Unless you know what you're doing, the joke will be on you, and it likely will be a very bad joke indeed.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 02-21-2006 at 07:29 AM. Reason: to protect us from ourselves.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome

[
    So just pop those things outta there and let those gaps breathe like they're supposed to. Sure they'll looked weird, but you'll know the engineers finally got one over on the chumps in marketing
    :shock:
    Dome now you know better than that

Seriously tho, I'll just leave'em alone if you haven't done this before..They're not badly dented...and you know the old saying here ( everybody say this with me now....)

It doesn't affect the sound......

OR if it REEEEALLY bothers you..have a professional do this.

jeez. just call jbl if you want to DIY. it's not like they're that expensive.

(reply for Manitoba John)

I tried to do it once and totally screwed it up. BUT, I'm not real handy either. Any more I find it easier for myself to just pay someone if it really needs fixing or just leave it alone if it's just a visual...

each to his own....

In the past I've fixed dented domes by lightly pressing a piece of masking tape to the dent, grasping both loose ends, and pulling it out.

clmrt
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    In the past I've fixed dented domes by lightly pressing a piece of masking tape to the dent, grasping both loose ends, and pulling it out.
    Yep - electrical tape here. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Yep - electrical tape here. Worked great.
    I used clear tape but.. I also pulled off some of the paint on an le5-x mid.
    If I were to try it again I would try electrical tape on these.

As far as replacing the domes I found it a little bit of a challenge to get those small domes stright without getting glue all over the cone. I am sure if you do it all the time and maybe have a suction cup type of tool to put it on it would be easier.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information