Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Midrange Dented dust cap

Put the grill back on and forget about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Pic, where do I get these little orange foam pieces, can I make them? And is this indentation anything to worry about?
    Just leave this alone, it doesnt affect the sound, and it is too small for you to repair, just leave it be.
    scottyj

Nightbrace
    I will, I am going to get the mids fixed properly, I like the way they sound too much. I agree about the tweeter, its not worth it, I couldn't hear anything wrong with it, so back it goes.

Just was wondering how much it would cost if I decided to get it replaced and if there was orange foam pieces out there to get them PERFECT>

Nightbrace
    Does anyone have a procedure on how to remove the dustcaps properly?

Tip #1 Use the sharpest Xacto knife you got.

here's a good rule of thumb if you are not handy....

If you have to ask how to do something...DON'T DO IT...

Put the grills on, sit back and enjoy the music...

Tips of the day...

yes, you can destroy an otherwise perfectly good speaker if you're not careful.
    Tip #1 Use the sharpest Xacto knife you got.
    be willing to risk chalking up a driver to experience (and the professional reconer).

I took out the center first, then -tried- as much as possible to cut between the
    remaining ring of aluminum and the cone (stay in the glue). If you just pull on the
    aluminum, you're almost guaranteed to get the glue and at least part of the cone (bad).
    Sharp xacto, steady hand, patience, voila. Yeah. Now what do you use to glue the
    new dustcap back on? Damned if I'm gonna tell you 'cause I know what I used ain't right, but I'm not sellin' 'em so I don't have to worry about pleasing anyone but
    myself. Maybe Edge or Gordon or ?? have a favorite... -grumpy

Anyone tried this on aluminum dust caps?

I read the tape solution, but to get it to stick, you have to push it on.

So how about a piece of rubber hose, like automotive vacume line, hooked up to a vacume source? I havent tried it.

For non painted caps, the right glue/solvent combination would allow you to pull it out with a thread.

SD

If you dont have a shop vac or other vacume source you might have to ask the local blonde bimbo or maybe a serious pot-head for help.

That joke sucks.

Dented Aluminum dust caps

I've never tried to do this dust cap removal myself, because I've seen other nonprofessionals do it, and they've always screwed it up. Some guys have been willing to sacrifice a driver or two to perfect this skill, but I rarely have any extras, so I leave it to people who know how to do this sort of thing.

It's not realistic to think you can pull the dents out of Aluminum domes, even with a strong vacuum. Even if by some miracle you get them to "pop," they're still distorted and unsightly.

It would be interesting to see a toker try to suck it back to shape, though.
    Out.

Vacuum Pump

Worked great for me with a piece of clear 1/4" hose, but there is no way to get the creases out. The funtion of the dust cap is to keep dust out of the voice coil, and a small dent will not affect that. If it sounds good leave it alone........ Harry

Hot Glue

I have used hot glue gun and a small stick. This type of glue is not real stickey it peels right off smooth plastic. There using this method to pull dents on autos.

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz
    The funtion of the dust cap is to keep dust out of the voice coil, and a small dent will not affect that.... Harry
    Some other uses of dust caps (Aluminum) is to extend the HF of the driver as well
    Always fun learning more.......

I've done dozens of these

OK folks...... JBL quit selling these dust caps a couple years ago. Bummer, because I have a mid with a dented aluminum dust cover. The way to repair them, if you can find the part, is to cut out the center dome with a brand new x-acto or utility knife. Make a very shallow cut, as you don't want to cut in to the cone or accidentally sever one of the lead wires. Leave the small amount that is glued to the paper cone there. If you try to remove it, it will weaken the paper cone at a very crucial spot, right outside the voice coil where the highest stresses on the cone are. next, apply a very thin coat of black dome glue or white surround glue (available from many sources...... I always got mine from Orange County Speaker) to the angled edge on the bottom of the dust cap. Seriously, a little goes a LONG way here. Next, carefully lower the dust cap over the remaining metal ring that should still be attached to the cone and line it up so you can't see the remnants of the old cone anymore. Use a soft tool (I always used a teflon re-coning block) to seat the edges of the dust cover. Don't use a metal tool, as this will dent the new dust cover. I learned this the hard way! Let it dry for a couple hours, and you are good to go. I've probably done over 100 of these, and it has worked like a charm every time. there's no mess, and you mid looks like the kids never even pushed them in!

Cheers,
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    Pic, where do I get these little orange foam pieces, can I make them? And is this indentation anything to worry about?

Those little orange spots aren't foam. Those are the glue that hold the lead wires in place. As for the foam on the front, JBL still had it available the last time I checked. It comes in to varieties. There is the older, open foam type, and the newer dense foam type. It looks like you have the newer type. This foam does degrade over time, and should be replaced it it is starting to crumble. It's actually very easy to do. You just get under one edge with a finger nail, and slowly peel the old one off. There is a very thin piece of adhesive plastic on the bottom of the foam that makes it easy to get it off in one piece. When removing the old foam, make sure that you pull in the same direction as the lead wires in order to minimize the possibility of pulling a lead wire loose. When you get the old one off, just apply the replacement right over where the old one was.

As for the dome on the LE25, don't try to replace it. They are a royal PITA! it's doable, but it never looks quite right.

The post you're responding to is five-years-old in a couple of days! Happy Birthday.

Nightbrace has left the building.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information