Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: center channel to go with 250ti's

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    My point in my last post was how JBL progressed to the L250/250Ti...
    Oh, I know... it was just that your post reminded me of what GT had just posted and how we had discussed this very topic.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I have NO problem with the 212s, as I am currently using them...
    That's cool. Do you do much dedicated two channel listening with a two channel all analog system, i.e. no surround processor or receiver? In a case like that I think it would make a big difference, but in a surround system I doubt it would be nearly as significant and the system you have described sounds very cool.

Widget

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Oh, I know... it was just that your post reminded me of what GT had just posted and how we had discussed this very topic.

That's cool. Do you do much dedicated two channel listening with a two channel all analog system, i.e. no surround processor or receiver? In a case like that I think it would make a big difference, but in a surround system I doubt it would be nearly as significant and the system you have described sounds very cool.

Widget
    Yes, I do listen to 2 channel with that system, H/K AVR635, surround turned off, or 5, or 7 channel stereo. Plus a SACD/DVD audio via analog out.
    The other system is L55s connected to a Marantz HT receiver.
    I've got an old Yamaha stereo amp '79, but the pre-amp in it is shot, or the input selector is gone again. It was supposedly repaired in the late '80's, but I'd bet they only cleaned the connections, because it didn't last too long.

center channel to go with 250ti's

Ok dumb question, be gental

what is the differnce if i put these 250ti up against a wall ie 6-8 infrom the back of the wall or i slide in into a false wall with the back wide open ? estetics is my reseasoning for wanting yo do this as the 65" is flush with the wall and it would dumb and ugly if i didnt do this but, i also dont want to waste the money that im gonan spend on these either

i do have a sdec2500a that will get professioanlly calibrated when i get done with this mess
    thx

Can you return the 250Tis?

Quote Originally Posted by shillyar
    what is the differnce if i put these 250ti up against a wall ie 6-8 infrom the back of the wall or i slide in into a false wall with the back wide open...
    If I were you, I'd buy some speakers with no cost return privileges. You really will need to try before you buy. Your application isn't "normal" so your results will be unpredictable. You might even consider some good in-wall speakers.

The 250Tis are excellent speakers when used properly. I don't think they should be 6-8" from the walls... they sound best like most other speakers when they have some breathing room. Crowding them near walls will cause bass peaks and mess up their imaging. If you can test drive the 250Tis that would be best.

Widget

250ti's Hozontal for a center channel

Hi Guys,

I have made my decision and I am going to get some 250ti classics for my L and R. I just look on audigon and i found a pair of limited 250ti's

The price seems a bit high as they need refoaming but i dont have enough vertical hight to put em on top of the TV

How much of a difference would it make if i used 2 250ti's horizontal as a center channel ? and just build a shelf between the 2 so it would look like a big rectangle when done,

Then I have matching speakers

Then the other problem is can I get away with runing 900W to L and R and only 200 to each center ? or is there a way to series these 2 and then cut em back down to 6 ohms ? then they will all be running at 900 ?

Thx

You really need to rethink this...

As many have been trying to tell you, the 250Ti is from the 2-channel era. That's why I have a "vintage" 2-channel setup in one room with the 250Ti's, and a more modern 5.1 setup in other (with 4410/L20T3). I still don't have a "correct" matching center either but it's not a big deal to me. While it doesn't have the seamless panning you get with matching speakers, it still sounds great for what I listen to most - concert DVD's.

Trying to fit two 250ti's on their side is just silly overkill.
    If you have that kind of money to toss around, just commission one of the excellent speaker builders on this forum to make you a custom center with matching components. The parts are rare but not impossible to get.

My $.02...

jblnut

Hi Guys,

I have made my decision and I am going to get some 250ti classics for my L and R. I just look on audigon and i found a pair of limited 250ti's

The price seems a bit high as they need refoaming but i dont have enough vertical hight to put em on top of the TV

How much of a difference would it make if i used 2 250ti's horizontal as a center channel ? and just build a shelf between the 2 so it would look like a big rectangle when done,

Then the other problem is can I get away with runing 900W to L and R and only 200 to each center ? or is there a way to series these 2 and then cut em back down to 6 ohms ? then they will all be running at 900 ?

Thx

Whatever you're smokin', it's good etiquette to share....

[Won't work. Can't have multiple sources playing the same program material and expect it to sound worth a whit....]

center channel to go with 250ti's

i dont get this statement what do u mean ?

[Won't work. Can't have multiple sources playing the same program material and expect it to sound worth a whit....]

What Zilch is saying is that if you use two loudspeakers as a center it will sound worse than a single unit. I agree. I think I already said something along those lines on one of your threads.

Widget

Thread Information