Thread: Sub or EQ with L-220s

Sub or EQ with L-220s

Hey folks,
    Thanks for the replys about the L-220s.
    Currently with my L-112s I find a definate lack in bass,and my system tends to be quite bright.I have no tone controls on my Counterpoint sa3.1 tube pre.
    What do you guys think would be the next step to achieve better bass slam!!.
    (I like it loud).A very good EQ or a big sub.Or maybe the L-220s will perform better and I won't need a sub?.
    I love the midrange but feel I need to shake up the foundation in the bass dept.

Cheers,Rob.

More power. Watts are magical things.

Ok, next...
    I love the way music makes me feel.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6782

Not to worry, puberty will pass, soon thereafter.

[It's quite DUMB, actually.... ]

Steve Gonzales

What sounds good to you?

Seriously, try them all with the L220's and figure out what trips your trigger. I've got 5 pairs of them and currently use a pair of L220's and L222's in my 2 channel system. At times I've used alot of EQ. I've learned that your room acoustics play a big role in what you get from these speakers. I've triamped mine now and added compression drivers/horns in place of the LE5-9's and moved into a house with WONDERFUL acoustics so, I don't need much EQ , but I like it personally, so I use it to suit my taste. I would make sure the L220's passive radiator is weighted with 200 grams to get the low end oomph out them. These speakers like alot of clean power so, I would use at least 250 wpc with close to 3db of clean dynamic headroom, read: Yamaha M80,85,MX1000 or MX1000u. You'll be suprized at the results, NO SUBWOOFER NEEDED. Good luck in you search, Steve G.

majick47

Sub or EQ

My brother recently added two 15" subs to his 4311b speakers and he has BASS, in fact it's too much, I suggested he cut back some. Probably two 12" subs would be plenty for your L112. Depending on the room size you may not need subs with your L220. I have L300 in a large listening room and they are no slouches in the bass department but when I added two 15" subs the system went from excellent to spectacular with serious output down to 18hz. Some day if the right 18" subs materialize I might be tempted. There is never too much JBL slam.

Thread Information