Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4435 vs 250TIs?

4435 vs 250TIs?

How are prices in the US when you compare 4435 vs 250TI? (I'm thinking of the later Jubilee/SE versions of 250 in black piano laque)

What speaker do you guys prefer of those two and why?

The reason for the question is that I "by impulse" bought a pair of 4435 when I actually was looking for a pair of 250TIs

4435 vs. 250TIs? ...that's easy!

Currently I am a horn devotee... I have owned and enjoyed ribbons, dome and cones, and electrostats... that said, between the 4435 and the 250Ti, it would be an easy choice for me. I'd go with the 250Ti.

I don't like the plastic paint look though, I'd look for a pair with exotic hardwood... most likely I'd store the cabs and build something custom. I don't like the industrial design of the early 80's JBL consumer stuff. I appreciate it, but it looks dated and is just not my flavor.

Widget

Nightbrace
    Those 250Ti's could possibly be the best speaker JBL ever made, or at least that I've heard. But these 2 speakers are for different puposes, the 4345's would acutally be a bit better as near-field monitors, but overall cannot compare to the 250Ti. Just my 2 cents.

I have only experience with my 250 using xpl crossover that I have to upgrade to an other real 250 crossover and 434x clone I have also .

My opinion could be wrong but what I feel i the 250 is a very fine , precise , clean speakers and the 434x is morelike a precise clean but not as distinctive .

Anyway the 434x are the only speakers I heard which make my heart beat faster .

Gerard

pangea
    I'm corious, would it be possible to point out what it is, that makes the 250ti a better sounding speaker?

Is it the bass, the mids, the ti domes, the x-over, or what?

BR
    Roland

Nightbrace

Sum of the parts maybe??

Pangea, I don't know, the old saying the "sum of the parts" rings true with the 250Ti, there are no noticable flaws sonically and everything blends perfectly, which I guess one could argue is becuase of a perfectly designed crossover, but then again the drivers and cabinets need to be this exact size for the crossovers to work as well as they do, as I've recently learned , be sure to thank the designers at JBL for that .

Sure some speakers do certain things better and are better for different applictations, as is the case of the 4345, and some are more detailed, more dynamic, etc. But none that I have heard sound any better overall in a home stereo application. Again my 2 cents, you are entitled to your opinion., do I take it that you like the 4345 better?

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Pangea, I don't know, the old saying the "sum of the parts" rings true with the 250Ti, there are no noticable flaws sonically and everything blends perfectly, which I guess one could argue is becuase of a perfectly designed crossover, but then again the drivers and cabinets need to be this exact size for the crossovers to work as well as they do, as I've recently learned , be sure to thank the designers at JBL for that .

Sure some speakers do certain things better and are better for different applictations, as is the case of the 4345, and some are more detailed, more dynamic, etc. But none that I have heard sound any better overall in a home stereo application. Again my 2 cents, you are entitled to your opinion., do I take it that you like the 4345 better?
    No, it's not that, I'm merely wondering why most JBL'ers prefer the alu diaphragms over the Ti's in the 2" drivers, but when it comes to the 250Ti's it seems most will obviously prefer the Ti domes, which if I'm correct, are equivalent to the Ti dias of the 2446/50/51, but without the horn.

I my self am very happy with my hybrids (see avatar) with Ti dias in my 2441 and everything driven actively.

BR
    Roland

I agree, they look cheap, if I ever get the dough, I'll build my own cabinets, or re-veneer them. Plus I can't really afford what they are going for.
    I totally disagree about the cheap look I think they look absolutely perfect

This is a friend of mine setup, I don't think they look cheap at all

I guess you all know that there are a few big differens between the "old/woody" 250TI and the newer versions in black. Which one is best depends on each persons, many think the old one is to "harsch" while others think the newer one are too soft and not the correct for JBL

OK, I didn't know about the vinyl version. The later Jubilee and LE version I'm talking absout are as far as I know wood, painted with black "piano laque":

Nightbrace
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...1990-250ti.htm

If they are the limited edition version, look at the above link, they are worth quite a bit, what is the model of the sub you have there? Excuse me, I should know, but I am very tired, its 5 AM here

Obsolete
    I guess I was thinking about the vinyl faux-wood veneer on the earlier 250Ti.
    I've never run into a pair of L250's or 250Ti's with vinyl faux-wood veneer. I've owned several pairs and seen dozens more over the last 24 years.

Obsolete
    That's real hardwood veneer...

An Advise !

Never Ever come and test 250 in your home if you have alrady 434x .

I wanted to install my Diy 250 in my bedroom and since my wife saw the 250 , I will have to install my beloved 434x in the bedroom and let the 250 in the lounge .

250 are beautiful speakers, that's true

Gerard

Obsolete

4435 vs 250TIs?

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    What speaker do you guys prefer of those two and why?
    They are sufficiently different so that you will have to own both. Sorry!

Nightbrace: those brown one the picture you are reffering to is also wood, they look very much the same as mine 120TI.

The upper one in black are Classic Edition, and the close up next to the Velodyne DD18 sub is as you say:

Thread Information