Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L112/96 Network suggestions

Nightbrace

L112/96 Network suggestions

Just got a set of L112's today, they sounded good, but overall I actually preferred my L36's.

Has anyone tried using a L100A network in these speakers? What about the network from the 4313?

In a direct A/B compariosn with my L36's I noticed a few inadequacies worth noting. Overall the bass was a bit better in the L112's/ And despite having virtually the same midrange and much better tweeters, they are not as detailed in the midrange, and are nearly equal in the highs, although the L112 did go a bit higher, overall it wasn't as pleasing and sounded a bit muffled. I don't think the efficiency of the drivers is that much different, so it leads me to believe the crossover is the weak-link. There is a lot of potential with the drivers in these speakers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    so it leads me to believe the crossover is the weak-link.
    D'oh! That would be your opinion as opposed to fact.

What about the network from the 4313?
    You've been reading my old posts - I ended up running the 3113B in every L96 I ended up owning.

Nightbrace
    J, it leads me to believe the crossover is the weak-link. .
    Again, I am mislead, I should start reading some of your old posts, thats what I was considering too, but where to find schematics for the 3113B crossovers? Would these work just as well in the L112?

Obsolete
    I should start reading some of your old posts, thats what I was considering too
    Why would you consider the 4313 network? What do you know about the 4313? I find it hard to believe anyone would just happen to think a 4313 network would work, especially if they don't even know where to find the schematic.

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

Nightbrace
    Its was just a thought as the 4313B has the same mids and tweeters as the L112's, and generally I have been more impressed with the pro-sound crossovers. Plus I was considering these for my EN3's till I abandoned them, figured it would be cheaper to get a set of L112's as I was planning on using all the drivers anyways /

Regis

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    D'oh! That would be your opinion as opposed to fact.

You've been reading my old posts - I ended up running the 3113B in every L96 I ended up owning.
    Last Saturday, I just installed the 3113b in my bud's L-150's (the early ones, not the "A's" with the same crossover as the L-112). The sound was dramatically improved over the stock crossover. Better detail, separation and the bass was less muddy. Good stuff! It isn't hard to convert the L-112 to the 3113b. I used the 3.0 uF GR research cap in parallel to modify the big cap to (I believe) a 16.5 uF value. Do the bypass mod. Easy if you have basic soldering skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Again, I am mislead, I should start reading some of your old posts, thats what I was considering too, but where to find schematics for the 3113B crossovers? Would these work just as well in the L112?
    I have heard a stock L112 xover and a mock-up of the 4313 using the same L112 drivers. I suspect you will find the overall response characteristics similar. So, if you prefer the stock L36 over the stock L112, you will not find the conversion to the 4313 more in line with your preferences.

One long term idea for the fun of it is to "force" yourself to live with the L112s for good, long, while. Get accustomed to the different frequency balance of the L112. Then, switch back to the L36. If you still feel that the L112 is inadequate, then you know for sure your preference is for more energy in the mid-to-brilliant spectrum. If so, sell the L112s , then go look for some of the pro model 4312 models as an upgrade to the L36.

David F

Nightbrace
    I'm not a preference really, its just that the L112's sound a bit tame to me. I loved the 4312's I heard, but I got the L36's for $150 in MINT condition, so it was a no-brainer. The difference wasn't that much, but the bass is a bit lacking in the L36, similiar to the XPL160 I recently heard. The drivers are BETTER in the L112, so how can they be not as detailed as the L36's? Thats what I don't understand. The crossovers can't take away that much. Was the crossover design a measure taken by JBL to tame the drivers down, esp. the tweeter down a bit?

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF
    your preference is for more energy in the mid-to-brilliant spectrum. David F
    Of course thats what I want, shouldn't everybody? I also want more detailed and more dynamic bass which the L36's don't deliver. Getting L100T's soon, yippee, they will be MUCH better than both, just thought the L112's would be worth a try. After reading a thread saying that these were the best speakers ever made by JBL a few weeks ago, I got myself a pair on the Bay and they finally got here., I wasn't horribly disappointed, but I was expecting a vast improvement over my L36's/

Nightbrace
    BTW, another thing that I don't understand is how the L50 could sound so much different than the L36. The drivers are virtually the same. I liked the linear design of the drivers, but was overall not too impressed.

I'm glad this thread came up. I'm considering reworking the crossovers in my L112s and L96s.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Nightbrace
    There's so much potential with these drivers, the 3113B seems like the way to go.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by briang
    I'm considering reworking the crossovers in my L112s and L96s.
    Biased (charge coupled) 3113B networks in the L96. Accept no substitute. You'll need to tweek the conjugate across the 128H for the L112.

Obsolete
    BTW, another thing that I don't understand is how the L50 could sound so much different than the L36. The drivers are virtually the same. I liked the linear design of the drivers, but was overall not too impressed.
    It's all in the networks. I guess you like the earlier stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Biased (charge coupled) 3113B networks in the L96. Accept no substitute. You'll need to tweek the conjugate across the 128H for the L112.
    Looking at the N96 vs the 3113B network, the difference appears to be the crossover point to the LE5-12 (16.5uf vs. 13.5uf) and the LE10H-1 gets a 2nd order (12dB) roll off instead of first order (6dB).

I'm really new at this and my electronic engineering class I took in college is now 14 years old (i.e. forgotten nearly everything), so feel free to correct me and instruct me (be nice).

Regarding the crossover point and your conjugate comments for the 128H, I assume that is because the 128H rolls off sooner than the LE10H-1, yes? No?

(I need to send Giskard a 6 pack of his favorite beer )
    Paying debt to Karma...

Thread Information