Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a recone kit for the K2 475nd horn driver?

Niklas Nord

Is there a recone kit for the K2 475nd horn driver?

I seek a replacement, recone kit for the horn driver on the s9500 K2..

Is there anyway to obtain this? Cost? Different version för the Japaneese market and Europe market?

Obsolete

Re: Is there a recone kit for the K2 475nd horn driver?

D8R475ND is the diaphragm part number and it is available and in stock.

Niklas Nord
    I have heard that there is TWO kind of diaphragms,
    one for the japaneese market wich has some kind of
    black damping material on, so the K2 will roll off earlier
    in the higher octaves..

THEN there is the kind that I have, a diaphragm without this
    damping material...

Niklas Nord
    not avail: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Goe...nto%20List.pdf

oh no, what should i do now?

Question

Hi Niklas

The S-9500 literature quite clearly indicates that its' diaphragm ( 475nd ) is lightly dusted in black aquaplas ( plastic ) for damping purposes. If you have found a 475nd driver with a bright silvery metallic diaphragm - then I'd suggest someone swapped in the wrong diaphragm for whatever reason. It sounds to me that this "story" about the black plastic coated diaphragm ( existing for just the Japanese ) is just a sales tool ( & I'm being really nice here ) . Can you take a picture of this diaphragm ( you want to replace ) and post it here ?

What type of diaphragm exists in your other 475nd driver ?

Giskard has already stated the 475nd diaphragm is once again available. That pdf is from JBLPro and is not necessarily the most up to date info . The 475nd diaphragm comes through Harman parts services.

regards <> Earl K

Obsolete
    "Giskard has already stated the 475nd diaphragm is once again available."

Well, the kits have probably been sitting at Harman Service for quite some time, or Pro recently sent them all over to Harman Service and then marked them as OBSOLETE/NLA. If Pro marks a kit OBSOLETE/NLA then it is highly unlikely that kit will ever be run again. Pro is very quick to wash their hands of service parts and will send kits over to Harman Service where they will sit for years and years and years until they are finally exhausted.

BTW, it appears Harman Service has a very few 066 and LE20 kits left in stock. Once they are gone.....

Obsolete

Re: Is there a recone kit for the K2 475nd horn driver?

You might try these guys to see if they can get you the correct kits:

Harman Scandinavia
    Birkeroed, DK
    Phone: 45-45 99 8570
    Fax: 45-45 99 8579
    [email protected]

Niklas Nord
    Thank you for the help guys.

The thing is that i can hear some kind of rattle or strong distorsion in the K2´s horn..

Aspecially on some of the sound from the new Kraftwerk CD, tour the paris, or what it´s called..

the dividing freq should be 650hz, is that low for a horn?

Hello giskard - exactly what is the difference between the ( japan D8R475ND ) and pro ( D8R2450SL ) diaphrams?

I have had both in my hand at the same time and could *not* see a difference!

sub

Niklas Nord
    What I have been told, is that the Japaneese version has black damping material on it... Aquaplas i think..

Hallo! they both have the black coating. As I said, they looked identical! sub

Niklas Nord
    Aha, okey!
    maybe this weekend i will take some photos..

Weight Speculation

Hi SubWoof

Here's some pure speculation. Maybe the titianium dome ( & maybe the voice coil) have different weights. This would be somewhat logical considering the motors ( 2450SL vs 475nd ) have different gauss levels present in the gap. JBL traditionally has matched flux levels to the weight of their moving parts (pistons) or vice a versa. This is especially true since the beginning of the nineties and all the new engineering in the K2 stuff.

I have 2, 2450SL diaphragms ( in remagged 2440 motors ). These diaphragms have different responses ( no matter what motor ). My first ( over 3 years old ) has more top end. The most recent is very close in response to a typical 2441 ( not really a bad thing ). The plastic coating on the second is also obviously darker ( maybe thicker ). When it arrived , I thought "Oh, Oh," QC at JBL for these devices isn't plus or minus 2 db .

I'm pondering buying a 475nd diaphragm just to check on this weight theory. ( Very Expensive R&D )

regards <. Earl K

Niklas Nord
    So Earl, what should be the best kit for the K2 driver?

Do you have any information about the price?

Hi Niklas

At this juncture,you should only put in a 475nd diaphragm into the 475nd driver. I wouldn't put in a 2450Sl diaphragm until someone at JBL says that they are unequivocably / exactly the same piece.

Price ? here in North America they list for around $ 200 US. My last 2450SL diaphragm cost me @ $285. Cdn.

Giskard is on record as saying ( in this thread ) the 475nd diaphragm is now available . Solicit a full repair price from the Swedish Harman dealer . My advice; if you find you actually need a diaphragm, purchase it and have it installed from only a qualified JBL repair facility. Don't do it yourself. That'll void all warranties , etc, etc, etc, . Insist on having the diaphragm matched ( or as close as possible ) to what you have in the other channel.. Insist on a High Frequency Response Curve print out. Travel both drivers with horns attached to the repair centre. Titanium isn't supposed to fatigue , meaning any sales pitch that you must buy two "should" go out the window. Stress fractures from overdriving the horns is another matter. You may want to get two installed and put the old diaphragms aside for a "rainy day" .

regards <. Earl K

Thread Information