Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something differennt

Lightbulb Something differennt

Thought I'd post a photo of my new system. After much JBL vintage, here are my latest aquisitions. Correct size cabs with TAD 1601's and TAD 4001's with 500hz horns. Cabinets have an unusual "horn" indention where the woofers sit. The whole front is foam faced. The crossovers I'm using are not the ideal, Mapo 800HZ externally fitted, but sound pretty good for the inital trial. Power is Cary 805b's with 50b preamp, Sony 9000es cd and mid fi turntable. I'm working on a tube pre, crossover to bi-amp, but this will take a little time to realize. In the mean time, I'm enjoying listening to most all of my cd/lp collection all over again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robin

WOW, looks great.........

norealtalent
    Likey, likey. Sounds impressive, pun intended.

Wow... those are very fine amps! The speakers...??? nice components, if they work for you then that's great, but they certainly are not as pretty as the Olympuses you had. OK, I have to admit it... I am biased. I love the look of the Olympus.

I have the same CD/DVD player. Once I took the digital output and ran it into my DEQX as a DAC, the soundstage really improved. The difference between my SACDs and CDs shrank considerably.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Wow... those are very fine amps! The speakers...??? nice components, if they work for you then that's great, but they certainly are not as pretty as the Olympuses you had. OK, I have to admit it... I am biased. I love the look of the Olympus.

I have the same CD/DVD player. Once I took the digital output and ran it into my DEQX as a DAC, the soundstage really improved. The difference between my SACDs and CDs shrank considerably.

Widget
    The Olympus with your walnut horns were exceptional, both in looks and sound. I've never been happy with another driver since using the TAD4001 with those 2397 clones. Hence this purchase. As you remember, the last ones were from a professional application and although I thought they sounded great, these have never been "on the road" and I would be surprised if they didn't measure considererably better. Too much equiptment change to compare from memory. I stilll need to find the right wooden horns to fit these cabs (and drivers needs (650hz cutoff). Small detail, but I do prefer the upright style cabinets to the horizonal Olympus for the horns height.
    I just bought a Delphi cabinet. I wonder if Olympus cabs can be far behind?
    Robin

Indeed a very nice looking system.

Rolf

Very nice... and unique in my experience. Thanks for sharing the photo.
    Reminds me a -little- of what I was playing with last night (although not nearly as refined
    as your system): biamped E145 + Altec 811B/807-Z in scruffy boxes. Would be
    interesting to hear the extended response that I expect your system has... Do you have
    any info on the cabinets (e.g., is the foam "horn" around the 1601 purely for midrange
    directional control)?

-grumpy

Looks pretty! I have a pair of the cary 805's (once drove a pair of Totem monitors before discovering JBL), and as beautiful as they were- I couldn't get em right (soft bottom end- yet juicy midrange!) They sure are fun to look at, though!

The cabinets you have are lovely! I envy the TAD. Congrats!!

Hapy Face, You're right on. These speakers will benefit from bi-amping. I'd like to try a pr of 2a3 amps on the bottom. If that doesn't do it, and I think it would, then maybe go solid state.
    Robin

Who needs a fireplace when you got all those sexy tubes glowing at you? Maybe it's an age thing...but the more I see tube amps....and I play guitar thru them....the more I want some for HiFi. Must be like a good wine.

Nice looking system.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Nice speakers

And if you like the sound of the amps, then it is good!

I am another fan of SET amps and 2-ways of high efficiency.

Ron

bigredplane
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    And if you like the sound of the amps, then it is good!

I am another fan of SET amps and 2-ways of high efficiency.

Ron
    Me too SET amps great with JBL 2ways. CARY SEI300's at my house.

bigredplane
    [QUOTE=Rolf]Indeed a very nice looking system.

I would 2nd that

bigredplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rloggie
    Thought I'd post a photo of my new system. After much JBL vintage, here are my latest aquisitions. Correct size cabs with TAD 1601's and TAD 4001's with 500hz horns. Cabinets have an unusual "horn" indention where the woofers sit. The whole front is foam faced. The crossovers I'm using are not the ideal, Mapo 800HZ externally fitted, but sound pretty good for the inital trial. Power is Cary 805b's with 50b preamp, Sony 9000es cd and mid fi turntable. I'm working on a tube pre, crossover to bi-amp, but this will take a little time to realize. In the mean time, I'm enjoying listening to most all of my cd/lp collection all over again.
    Is that 2345 horns?

Good lookin' system

Wow....very nice! I'm impressed!

Thread Information