Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Crossovers ????

btw

Let's not forget another big advantage to biamping with actives: The amp is only required to amplify the designated frequencies. vs. suffocating the unwanted (post amplified) signal. This = efficiency.

I think Steve's approach is the best, no-nonsense one. Mark: Try splitting the lower from the rest (using a 2-way active M552) and use the passive crossover on the uppers. Simple. Inexpensive- instant improvement.

Speaking of the M552/3: I still have not found out who made these units for JBL. I heard it might be Lexicon. Anyone know??

Back to Mike's L300

Mike,
    If it were me, I'd build Giskard's N333 equivalent biased network: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ht=l300+charge

I'd build it even if I didn't plan to biamp. Imagine how wonderful an L300 would sound with modern high quality caps and inductors

A few differences, though:
    1. I'd go the extra mile and bypass as well - Solens w/ .010 uF Audio Cap Thetas.
    2. Split the circuit into a LF and HF rail so the woofer is separated from the HF/UHF
    3. If you want the flexability to baimp or not use switches to cut out unused portions of the circuit when biamping.
    4. If you are certain you want to biamp only, then simply make a biamp version that omits the unused portions.
    If you biamp, get access to an RTA and use it when setting up the electronic crossover.

I'd be inclined to leave the HF rail alone whether or not I baimped. I've lost an LE85 dia due to lack of protection in a biamp config.

Perhaps Giskard would graciuosly give some insight into the HF rail to help separte the high pass vs the contour.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Google the name "Rod Elliott" for an in depth article about active crossovers. A good read if you are considering or just interetsed in active crossovers. There is alos a lot of good info about passive design.

Chris

Rod Elliott

The guy is obviously a quack... he has a whole series of articles explaining how tweak cables are based on faith.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

On a more serious note... after briefly perusing a couple of his topics, he seems to be level headed and makes some very good points.

Widget

Thanks for the links!

Sometimes brilliance follows insanity (or is it the other way around?) I wouldn't know

This isn't in reference to any specific forum members, though............................................ .................................................. ...............

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Yes.

As I mentioned... if you read their literature, or talk with them, they think the reason anyone should buy their PDC unit is for it's wiz-bang correction capabilities. To be fair they are really amazing. It is light years beyond a simple auto EQ function.
    Widget
    I just bought one of the 2.6P (preamp) versions of these. I am curious to see if my Polish brain can figure out how to use it properly.

I am excited about experimenting with it.

Will keep you posted.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I just bought one of the 2.6P (preamp) versions of these. I am curious to see if my Polish brain can figure out how to use it properly.

I am excited about experimenting with it.

Will keep you posted.

Ken
    Hey Ken,

Have you looked up the auto ear calibration mode?

Sorry, I read the literature wrong, I meant the room correction mode..oh well same thing when you got massive speakers 10 feet in front of you sez I!!

Steve Gonzales

Well now...

Ken P, I can't wait to read about your findings. BTW, damn good to see both you and Ian posting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Hey Ken,

Have you looked up the auto ear calibration mode?

Sorry, I read the literature wrong, I meant the room correction mode..oh well same thing when you got massive speakers 10 feet in front of you sez I!!
    Hmm...the comedian from down under

Should be interesting Ian.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Ken P, I can't wait to read about your findings. BTW, damn good to see both you and Ian posting again.
    Nice to hear from you Steve.

Ken

Maron Horonzakz
    Polish??? I thought names ending in SKY were Russion....SKI were Polish. I think sombody sneeked over the border?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    I'd biamp while keeping JBLs' passive Bandpass & UHF circuitry in place.
    That is largely what Greg Timbers suggested would be the optimum route, with a few interesting improvements to the passive. He further suggests that the active crossover have the voltage drive of the original HPF in the passive. I'm trying to get there myself, right now...

And, on a different note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    It is light years beyond a simple auto EQ function.
    Yea - so is any manual EQ'ing, properly done...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    Polish??? I thought names ending in SKY were Russian....SKI were Polish. I think somebody sneaked over the border?
    Yes, I believe you are correct. My great grandparents immigrated from Austria. They ended up in Vienna after fleeing the revolution in Russia. Somehow the SKI got changed to SKY by the Canadian immigration authorities.

Ken

On the other end of the crossover scale, Behringer has a three way, stereo unit, the CX3400, for $159.00 US. They also have a digital model, the DCX2496, for $309.99 US. Links below:

http://www.behringer.com/CX3400/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

What's the word on these units, anyone?

DCX2496 has been on backorder for nearly a year now....

Thread Information