Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just an idea to conserve hosting space

OK NRT-

pretty prose. I don't know if it's testament to your love of music or just how good those westies are..saxaphones don't exactly rip like thunderstorms from tears of joy on my system...(yet)

NRT, you put my writing chops to shame. I should leave the talking to you! I would have just blurted out, "It's all about the music!" But maybe there is more after all...

Since you have intelligently introduced x-factor to the discourse, here goes.

To many of us, even members as new and ignorant as myself, this is also about friends. I was musing on another thread about enjoying putting a face to a mind, like with radio voices. I don't want to seem wierd or scare anyone off, but this is the way we act with friends. Admit it, folks, we, most of us, consider some members to be our friends. Not having met is no barrier in this day and age.

Being friends with someone generally brings some - another big word - respect to the interaction. That is a positive influence indeed.

Since this is a pretty messy subject, I would not blame a moderator for deleting this post immediately.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    A flood of unrelated interest seems to be the current concern, but beware the opposite pole, no posts.
    I guess you've missed my point. That would be perfectly fine. I'd rather see the Library and Technical aspects of the site greatly expanded. The forum itself could be deleted in it's entirety for all I care. I ask about every four months if we can just go ahead and delete the whole thing. So far no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I guess you've missed my point. That would be perfectly fine. I'd rather see the Library and Technical aspects of the site greatly expanded. The forum itself could be deleted in it's entirety for all I care.
    Actually, Giskard, your curmudgeonly take on the lighter aspects of this website is well known, and well respected by me at least. Each aspect of this site has its uses for some of the members. Your vast experience and knowledge puts you in a rarified, perhaps unique position of finding most of the forum useless and irritating. Please note that our fun is not quite useless, but rather somewhat informed, though perhaps not by your standards. Irritating, on the other hand, is in the eye of the beholder and completely subjective. I agree sometimes!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I don't believe there is an issue with space, it's more what direction the forums are moving. If you have any doubt about how fast this site is growing watch the membership numbers. They are starting to rise very quickly. It's important that we, meaning the present forum members, keep things in line. That especially means how we post and interact with each other while on the boards. Over the past 5 years and through several forums we have seen the site grow. The original site had the Library as it's crown jewel with the forum as a place to chat things Lansing. Now with the number of people here and the depth of knowledge the forum has taken a much more important role to the overall persona of the site. So far we have been pretty lucky with a good membership that has been for the most part self moderating. With the numbers of new people coming in, some of which may be from other sites that are not as fortunate, we have to show them the ropes and what the boundries are. We need to do that by example so remember that when you post. There is a very fine line between banter amongst a bunch of guys on a site for over a year and an actual insult. Many of us have been here for a while and know each other well enough that you can throw out a gentle barb to get a laugh to keep it fun. Basically though after a couple of posts we get back on the original topic. No ones saying we can't have fun but just keep it tempered so the fun doesn't overwelm the thread and make it useless. That the point. As far as freedom of expression well your freedom ends as soon as your post is offensive to another member. That's why we should in general avoid the faithful flame starters RRP as examples.

Rob

"Since this is a pretty messy subject, I would not blame a moderator for deleting this post immediately."

Hello Clark

Your fine, I like your other post as well. We should talk about this stuff from time to time. As long as it's civil why not.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    "Chat?" As in dedicated category. (??)

Lord knows I've already pi$$ed off somebody. Perhaps we should just stop while we can?? Oh, who am I kidding(?)- we can't stop!
    I wouldn't worry about it.....after all you have the right to express yourself and if someone Upsets THEMSELF with your opinion then I think that simply shows a very small mind.

Why are you getting bent out of shape ( or upset)because someone got pissed off from what you wrote. THAT"S THEIR PROBLEM..don't make it yours...if you didn't attack them personally then they REALLY have a problem and need to get professional help......

anyway.. have a great weekend everyone

You're right '59; Good point(s).

A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest. I think it's wonderful that even though we all feel different about world events that we all still appreciate the same type of speakers.

Crazy to look at it that way. But then nobody I work with cares one hoot about old JBL equipment and I see them everyday.

But I've decided to stay away from world events in off Topic. How about Motorcycles and Bicycle racing?

norealtalent
    Partial[QUOTE=duaneage]A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest...
    QUOTE]

Well My Friends, I'll drink to that!

[QUOTE=norealtalent]Partial
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage
    A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest...
    QUOTE]

Well My Friends, I'll drink to that!
    NRT! PLEASE!! Don't start drinking again- just remember those poor circus people. Remember?!? I don't think the girls from the boating company have fully forgiven you , and that goat , the FIRE , astroturf, and...well...it's just not good when you drink. And "NO" I'm not smoking again...

norealtalent
    Minus 10 points!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage
    But I've decided to stay away from world events in off Topic. How about Motorcycles and Bicycle racing?
    Hey- I'm down with the bikes and bikes! What's your flavor??

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    "Let's go step further: shorthand"

As far as I am concerned nothing about race, religion or politics has any business on a audio hobbiest site. Yeah I know Im a fricking closed mind AXXXLE but hey, that's who I am. If I wan't that crap I can pick up a paper. I don't come here for that.

Rob
    You got that right!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Speaking of space, I find it irritating that some members find it somehow essential to hit the "Quote" button and repeat the sometimes huge content of a previous post without purpose.

While it's often important to establish the context of a response, I try to edit it down to the crux what I'm responding to, within the "Quote" commands. It's unnecessary to force readers to scroll through the whole deal they just read again.

[Helps me feel less guilty about my own wordiness, too.... ]
    Now that made me, laugh. Can I quote The whole post.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I don't believe there is an issue with space, it's more what direction the forums are moving. If you have any doubt about how fast this site is growing watch the membership numbers. They are starting to rise very quickly. It's important that we, meaning the present forum members, keep things in line. That especially means how we post and interact with each other while on the boards. Over the past 5 years and through several forums we have seen the site grow. The original site had the Library as it's crown jewel with the forum as a place to chat things Lansing. Now with the number of people here and the depth of knowledge the forum has taken a much more important role to the overall persona of the site. So far we have been pretty lucky with a good membership that has been for the most part self moderating. With the numbers of new people coming in, some of which may be from other sites that are not as fortunate, we have to show them the ropes and what the boundries are. We need to do that by example so remember that when you post. There is a very fine line between banter amongst a bunch of guys on a site for over a year and an actual insult. Many of us have been here for a while and know each other well enough that you can throw out a gentle barb to get a laugh to keep it fun. Basically though after a couple of posts we get back on the original topic. No ones saying we can't have fun but just keep it tempered so the fun doesn't overwelm the thread and make it useless. That the point. As far as freedom of expression well your freedom ends as soon as your post is offensive to another member. That's why we should in general avoid the faithful flame starters RRP as examples.

Rob
    Good meaningful post there Rob.

Most that do sign up only peek around lurking in shadow peeking at other members posts like some dirty Tom Dick and Harry.

You don’t need to sign up to lurk around the photo gallery unless you want to peek at the off-topic. Whoops the cats out the bag now.

Thread Information