Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a JBL Horn

Choosing a JBL Horn

Hi everyone

Since this is my first post, let me introduce: my name is Antonio and I'm writing from Italy so pls excuse me for syntax!

I discovered this interesting forum few days ago, I work as projectionist in theaters since many years and I love JBL sound of course!

During these years I had the opportunity to convert my home's garage in an home theater. I bought a theater's sound system for that!

I have three 4648A-8 for LF and 2450J (16 Ohm) as drivers with 2360 horns.
    8340 for surrounds, JBL MPX amplifiers, Behringer crossovers and equalizers.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/componen...rvs.htm#2450HJ
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/lfsub.htm#4648A-8
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/electronics/mpxamps.htm

I still have to choose the sub, I'll open another thead on this argument, but the choice is between triple chamber 4688 or 4645B.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4688.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4645b.pdf

The room is still under construction but I made some quick tests and I'm very happy with the system! For space problems I would like to replace the 2360 horns with something smaller, perhaps the 2380. I'd like to better understand the difference between the different horns and have a suggestion from you for "home" use.
    I'm unable to fully understand what really change between "Large" and "small" horns: they're both available with the same directivity angles, which are the main differences?

Thanks for all of you help and suggestions!

Antonio

norealtalent
    Hello Antonio and welcome,

I have a pair of 2360 horns and I love them almost as much as my 2397's. They are wonderful.

Hi noreal

2360 should be the same model you can see in my picture, isn't it?

I made only few tests but the quality of sound was much more of expected.

And what about the 2380?

Bye
    A

Sweet! Movies must be interactive with what you have there! Nice. I can't tell you about the horns- but I will say: add more foam to your room. I see you did the ceiling and a few more panels in the back- but I would put something along the corners. Very cool, though!!

Many Thank happy face!

Sure, the setup is not completed.

The foam you see is not fiberglass, it polyester wool, not as powerful as rockwool but I choose it because I do not want to have a full dead room. I put the speakers before filling the empty spaces because I want to check the results before.

My idea is to complete the blank spaces with very dense 4cm rockwool and pyramidal foam at angles.

What do you think?

Bye
    A

Quote Originally Posted by tony359
    Many Thank happy face!

Sure, the setup is not completed.

The foam you see is not fiberglass, it polyester wool, not as powerful as rockwool but I choose it because I do not want to have a full dead room. I put the speakers before filling the empty spaces because I want to check the results before.

My idea is to complete the blank spaces with very dense 4cm rockwool and pyramidal foam at angles.

What do you think?

Bye
    A
    Sounds like a great plan. I think you'll have excellent results. Smart, too. That stuff isn't cheap and it looks like you are putting the best stuff where it matters most. Don't forget to throw some rugs down on the floor! Regards

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Sounds like a great plan. I think you'll have excellent results. Smart, too. That stuff isn't cheap and it looks like you are putting the best stuff where it matters most. Don't forget to throw some rugs down on the floor! Regards
    The speakers are used and since I work in cinema I had these for a good price... However you're right, they're not cheap!
    Thanks again for your appreciations!

Sure for the rugs, I have to put something to insulate termically before.

Bye!
    A

Anyone that at least can help me better understanding the differences between the horns models?

Bye
    A

norealtalent
    Yes Antonio, those look like 2360's to me.

You can research anything JBL Pro here

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...s%20lists.html

There is and endless supply of info and links here. That should keep you busy for a couple decades.

I mean if someone can help me understanding all the data I can find on a pdf!

What I should keep in mind choosing my horns?
    For example, in the "compact" ones there are 90x40 or 120x40: which is better for home use? I would say that the larger one (120x40) are less sensitive and less directional and can be better for a little room. As you can see all of my surface are dampened with wool.

Or I can just take any compact model with no problem at all for a little space?

Bye
    A

I would go for wider dispersion. As far as I know the narrower dispersion is for longer throw.

You should try to listen to the new horns before you make a decision.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    I would go for wider dispersion. As far as I know the narrower dispersion is for longer throw.

You should try to listen to the new horns before you make a decision.
    I think that I can have the chance to test the new horns.
    About the throw, they're all very overestimated for my room. I think that a wider dispersion can smooth the sound, does it make sense?

If I correctly understand the larger horns has only more vertical dispersion. I'm not interested on this; or should I?

I'd like to keep the large horns (the ones in the photo) for left and right channels and change only the center channel.
    Do you believe it is a smart action? All channels will be equalized and are in bi-amped connection so it is not a problem matching the sound.

I'm having problems placing a screen because the center channel is too high. But I'd love to have the bigger horns standing at the side of the screen!!!

What do you think?

Bye
    A

norealtalent
    I've had the good fortune of playing with a lot of horns. IMO The 2 greatest are 2360 and 2397. If you want a small horn to exterminate the rodents, get a 2307 or better yet a 2311. If you want that glorious sound the 2360 gives you but don't want a towering behemoth in the corner, get a pair of 2397's. Once you've had either of them, you can never go back. If you must use a very small horn, try the H91/2312 and use an L94 lense. Actually, McCauley made one thats even better but the model # is top secret until I find 3 more for myself. They work awesome in an L220 instead of that LE5-? thing. I also like the wider horizontal dispersion patterns. I want my whole room filled with sweetness, not just one spot. All just my opinion, based solely on my experience.

Ditto what "norealtalent" says. I don't know all horns (most suck)- but I know what a 2397 is capable of and it's beyond words.

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Smithhorns

I'll throw in with the 2397 camp here, they definately have that somthing special. I've only had 1" 2421's attached to them and they have that 'you are there' sound. Give them a try and you won't be disappointed.

Thread Information