Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: we2090 compatible with altec 288?

we2090 compatible with altec 288?

my grandad's old 2090 has a damaged voicecoil and has proved dificult to repair (aluminium wont solder). can i buy a cheap 288 replacement coil from the states as these seem to be identical. im new to this forum, but have been playing with my grandad's old stuff for years. he used to work for westrex as an engineer and has left me some 2080s a 2090 a gaumont copy (rubbish) a bth and a couple of fixed magnet 555 types, but no horns. just bought an 8 cell off ebay for £100 + £17 so im keen to have a set up.

Well you can off course change the diaph for altec 288. Originally they were 24 ohms. 2090a are very similar to the 288 drivers (except for some details (like "metric screw", phasis and rear part). The magnet seems to be a bit stronger too.
    2090b is a different geometry of driver, but with the same driver.
    I notice that you own some drivers fitting 555 diaphragrms : are they 30150 units?
    If yes, I am very interesting . I owned one a few time ago, but the diaphragm was gone, so...
    Do you have any data sheet concerning these WE english speakers :
    30150 (horn friver)

30928 (12 inches) I have 4 of these...

Tell me if you are looking for something special.
    Best regards from FRANCE

Stephane
    Regards Stephane

sa660

WE2090 et 288C

PDE2000,

Many cinemas were using altec recone kit 20221 to repair the WE2090A/B.
    You should be ablte to buy them from a repair shop or you can buy the equivalent from radian.

Regards,

we30150

thanks for the info. yes one of the drivers is a 30150, the other is similar, ill look it up. i believe the 30150 is cross shaped (has cross shaped magnet), while the other is round. sorry but my grandad didnt keep any documents from his work and my dad and uncle were ruthless when clearing his house after he died.
    my grandad's claim to fame was that he installed the first talking pictures sound system in ireland, shortly after the war.

You may want to look into this, they make replacement diaphragms for WE drivers!http://www.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya2/ale/we555/we555.html

More of their products, I would try to contact them, and see what they can do for you!
    http://www.tachyon.co.jp/
    scottyj

[I notice that you own some drivers fitting 555 diaphragrms : are they 30150 units?
    If yes, I am very interesting . I owned one a few time ago, but the diaphragm was gone, so...

Ive just checked and they're both 30150 but one is a and the other f. the 30150a is the cross shaped and has a very powerfull sound (never had a horn though) and has little corrosion on the suspension (a couple of perforations but none on the dome itself). the little round 30150f sounds simillar but ive never had it apart and actually weighs more than the a so must have one hell of a magnet. ill get out the camera and find a way to put pictures on the forum. sorry my grandad never kept any paperwork. he loved music especially loud but was a bit of a 'grumpy old man'. he gave me his old valve oscilloscope set up when i was about 9 years old that he'd put together out of stuff he'd nicked off the navy during the war (he fitted radar in newcastle). when it stopped working (no sweep) he just wasn't interested - broke my heart.

Pde2000, does your Gaumont Kalee compression driver have a 20 slit radial phasing plug? I have seen a picture of such a driver, which was obviously inspired by the Lansing 285 driver. I have also seen a picture of a Philips compression driver with a similar phasing plug.

gaumont

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    Pde2000, does your Gaumont Kalee compression driver have a 20 slit radial phasing plug? I have seen a picture of such a driver, which was obviously inspired by the Lansing 285 driver. I have also seen a picture of a Philips compression driver with a similar phasing plug.
    yes the gaumont kalee is a type 379 (made by B.A.F. Ltd ser. no. 751) has the slotted phase plug, a 2" threaded throat and has a round-wire voicecoil reading 14.0ohms. it doesn't weigh half as much as the westex and is a very poor second to the 2090A.

other units are;

BTH type D form Y 5.2ohm cat. no. 10185, ser. no. R144749, v. narrow throat.

30150A "the property of Western Electric Co. Ltd" patented in the UK, made in England, 35.5ohm and 1" threaded throat (stripped)

30150F "the property of Westrex Co. Ltd" 10.0ohms 1" threaded throat (mint) and all hex bots (as opposed to slotted).

They all work, and my dad is interested in selling (but im rather partial to the 30150's myself)

So let me know for your 30150...
    If either you are interested, I have 4 bass units models WESTREX 30928 with their 2 passiv we crossover (working for 2 12 inches and one 2090 at 675hz)/ I can not remenber the reference.
    The stuff is in France / but I have family in Ireland...

Best regards Stephane
    Regards Stephane

ive just aquired another 30150f but this time with a completely destroyed diaphragm. the horn is awsome, a 805a with an adaptor for we555, now playing the 30150a and totally blowing away. i can see why they went over to fiberglass for the horns, this one is pretty heavy and a bit fragile. anyway my question is can i use a cheap klipsh k55v replacement diaphragm (the tachyon people want nearly $1000 for genuine replacement we555).

the horn came out of the cellar of 'britains oldest cinema' in brighton (the electric picturehouse or something). the seller is an architectural salvage merchant and had it up for £240 as a decorative object. he listed it as having been untested but i reckon someone had a look inside before putting up so cheap (shiny scratches inside). even so the horn is a stunner and i can scavenge the bits from the 30150f if i cant get a replacement diaphragm. maybe the tachyon (ale) one is worth it, just seems a bit rich.

any pics ? Thanks
    Regards Stephane

Name:  canal 081.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  134.0 KBName:  3351.jpg
Views: 3218
Size:  126.1 KB
    oh and btw i soldered the 2090 voicecoil using tinned copper wire. it sounds tons better than the replacement from gpa.

Just a minor point... I am not sure that "genuine" is the correct term for the ALE replacement diaphragm for the Western Electric 555. It is no doubt the finest replacement they have been able to make, and it certainly looks good, but it is a modern replica. It must perform well as there are thousands of original functioning W.E. 555s in Japan and a markedly inferior replacement diaphragm would be quickly found out.

k55v is a copy of we555

have just got a replacement k55v diaphragm for the westrex 30150f from bob crites (he sent me a 'bad' one for free, to see if it fits, and it dont sound half bad). the voice coil is wire and the suspension is stiff, but it works and is a near perfect fit. i like the price. side by side the original alloy one is a few dbs louder and wider range. the 30150f was used on multicells so was never intended to deliver the fullrange of the 30150a which was for the big old 13' we15a. thanks bob.

288c

having a 2090 on one horn and a 30150 on the other has been unsatisfactory, so I have bought a 288c for £300 from an ebay seller, who it turns out has a collection of old we equipment salvaged from cinemas, including amplifiers and full range horns. he sent me some great pictures, of 16a's and baffle mounted 18" fieldcoil bass. he is keen on valves, particularly the british western electric designs. if anyone is interested in seeing I will ask his permission to post the pics. it is strange that the 288c costs so much less than the 2090, the main difference being the logo (altec versus western electric). must be rarity I suppose. sounds pretty good

Thread Information