Thread: Think We May Have a Keeper Here!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Regarding the UHF sensitivity issue, I had to pad the 2402H down 10 dB to get it into the L-Pad adjustment range.

First try at remedy was to connect the HF after the fixed (2.5, 5-Ohm) attenuation in the MF circuit. That only got a couple of dB, though, so I reconfigured the sample per the standard 310x cascaded configuration.

That works very well; the full MF attenuation is also applied to the UHF. Once the MF/UHF balance is established with the UHF L-Pad, then the overall balance is adjusted with the MF control. It's intuitive, and easy to get it all properly balanced. There's still plenty of sensitivity left to overdrive the UHF for "air" or "sizzle," if desired.

I did observe one characteristic which may explain the different performance results Todd and I are obtaining: the 2402 is quite "beamy" in the higher frequencies. The two RTA plots below show the response on-axis versus 30° off-axis.

The difference is substantial (6+ dB). Note that response above 10 kHz falls off decidedly more (2-3X).

"Yeah, but 30° is a LOT, too!"

Well, no. It's the difference between being at 12:00 and 1:00, only, right? So, for comparable measurements, all must be taken precisely on UHF driver axis....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information