Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A loose corollary to "proper drivers properly applied"...

A loose corollary to "proper drivers properly applied"...

Actually I kinda posted the proper driver/application post so I could just link to it down the road, but the OTHER one that gets me is the (much more often seen on other forums) "I-can-get-giant-killer-performance-from-a-cheap-solution" kinda post.
    i.e. "I found these Zorpo sub drivers sold by Slamma that kick the shit out of all other subs, and only cost $148. They even work well in my car audio cabinets and next to the Definitive Technology that I thought was the best ever, they just KICK ASS and nothing is such a steal, and blahblahblah"
    (Okay, a little like the Edirol kid!!)
    SHOW ME A REAL FREE LUNCH AND I AM THERE! But then, we know there is always some "catch", some are of performance that isn't going to cut it. Show me the sub driver that really does it ALL, and it ain't $149 or the specs are lying etc. etc. If you want 2242H performance, find a way to pay for a 2242H. There isn't some magic shortcut that equals it. ("Waaah! But that is too much money!" "I thought you wanted 2242H level performance?")
    The principle extends all over the audio map; "my 4 inch back-loaded fullrangers rocked the room with LF output greater than (fill in the blank). NO KIDDING?? WOW! Or as some funny smartass on AA said once; "German supermen defeat the laws of physics" (he was in a thread on AvantGarde's).
    Okay, the sub1500; yes, it had close to "it all" for cheap, but that was a fluke. There was no reality in that pricing, which is why they all went away in 5 days.
    "I can too get huge, clean, high SPL bass from my .4 cu ft cab"

etc. etc.
    Surely ya'll have a few of these fun ones to share.
    Point is, people seem predisposed to not want to acknowledge the inevitable trade-offs or compromises, which are present to some degree even in a price-no-object scenario. Can't hide from it. What did Paul Klipsch say again? It was a great quote that came down to hiding the compromises.
    MBB

Jeeze Mike, next thing you'll say that you don't believe that pushed-in domes and disintegrating surrounds "don't effect sound"
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Obsolete
    Another very nice post Mike.

I think you're hitting hard at my fundamental problems with this forum with your last couple of posts. While I thoroughly enjoy people like Mr. Endriol mucking up other forums on the net I simply don't want to see that garbage here. This isn't a waste dump. And, as a bunch of us have discussed, we've been experiencing a WHOLE LOTTA waste dumping lately.

You're absolutely right. A 2242H is a 2242H and if you want one pony up. What I find so hard to grasp is that there are people coming to this forum not realizing that. I guess I naively thought this site would attract only the people who knew what Lansing was all about. I simply had no idea it would end up the way it has. :dont-know

Every once in awhile I'll go and read all the information Don and Steve and others have so graciously contributed and then I come back to the forums. It just doesn't jive for me. It's kind of disconnected feeling. Oh well... as Don said several times - "You built these forums Giskard."
    I guess I f'ed up

Point is, people seem predisposed to not want to acknowledge the inevitable trade-offs or compromises, which are present to some degree even in a price-no-object scenario. Can't hide from it. What did Paul Klipsch say again? It was a great quote that came down to hiding the compromises.

Nice!

I happened on to this site, thirsting for audio information. WOW, am I ever impressed. Studying various posts provided ideas and motivation to aquire JBL components to repair non JBL speakers. The "Repairs" sounded better than the original speakers'

Then I got a pair of 4412's. Great sound to me (Albeit lower "JBL Food Chain"). I was still gathering JBL components (impressed with info of posts) 2214H, 104H-2, 035Ti, L-112 NetWorks, to "Play" with. Understand, this "Audio Thing" is a Hobby to me.

I now realize that my "Play" or asking for info, is "Garbage" to some. It was never my intent to "Pollute" here. I quess my "Play" is due, in part, to my outlook: "It's NOT what you can buy that counts, but rather WHAT you can build".

I don't think that I know more/better than JBL engineers. I don't think I know a better driver choice/application, than JBL. Again, to me it's "Play".

IMO, JBL components are second to none. I hope the JBL Alumni/Brethren can find some satisfaction in my purchasing of JBL components, inspite of me "Playing" with them as I choose.

Obsolete
    Now rek50 you know you aren't a problem.

Don't personalize something that has nothing to do with you.

And feel free to play in the DIY sandbox. It's there expressly for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rek50
    I now realize that my "Play" or asking for info, is "Garbage" to some. It was never my intent to "Pollute" here.
    This is just wrong proving once again that I have poor language skills. Oh wait... People never see themselves how other people see them (and if they do they usually kill themselves) so the people the statement actually applies to will never get it while the rest who it doesn't apply to will. Oh well, it's out there, I tried, I feel better.

norealtalent
    Partial
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    ... And feel free to play in the DIY sandbox. It's there expressly for that reason.
    But please don't pee in the pool

Obsolete
    Yeah, and don't pick up the stinky little brown things covered with sand and put them in your mouth either for crying out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by rek50
    I happened on to this site, thirsting for audio information. WOW, am I ever impressed. Studying various posts provided ideas and motivation to aquire JBL components to repair non JBL speakers. The "Repairs" sounded better than the original speakers'

Then I got a pair of 4412's. Great sound to me (Albeit lower "JBL Food Chain"). I was still gathering JBL components (impressed with info of posts) 2214H, 104H-2, 035Ti, L-112 NetWorks, to "Play" with. Understand, this "Audio Thing" is a Hobby to me.

I now realize that my "Play" or asking for info, is "Garbage" to some. It was never my intent to "Pollute" here. I quess my "Play" is due, in part, to my outlook: "It's NOT what you can buy that counts, but rather WHAT you can build".

I don't think that I know more/better than JBL engineers. I don't think I know a better driver choice/application, than JBL. Again, to me it's "Play".

IMO, JBL components are second to none. I hope the JBL Alumni/Brethren can find some satisfaction in my purchasing of JBL components, inspite of me "Playing" with them as I choose.
    That's a good post, and good thoughts. My interpretation of the new DIY forum was to let people have fun with their JBL tinkering and learn the drivers' limitations/applications and be creative in their projects. Some projects will be plain-fare JBL factory vanilla (read "stock"... clones, ok? no comments please..I think you know what I mean) and range to "check that out....wow...why didn't I think of that?" spectacular. I think the masters' guidance is cool so one doesn't cause undo damage to the killer compression driver with the mondo expensive diaphragm...I mean really, the regulars here are not stupid people...after all, they've discovered JBL, and love it....and some....most...members sit back and watch and read and experiment and enjoy the show....this is what having a hobby is all about. Most weekend golfers would never pay to play again if they feared they were going to be ridiculed and laughed at everytime they swung the club. My Dad was a very respected aerospace contracts executive who used to say "people are no damn good"....and it's proven daily...everywhere...but he demonstrated the philosophy of "what goes around, comes around", and he had many good friends.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    My interpretation of the new DIY forum was to let people have fun with their JBL tinkering and learn the drivers' limitations/applications and be creative in their projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Most weekend golfers would never pay to play again if they feared they were going to be ridiculed and laughed at everytime they swung the club.
    Do you feel people get ridiculed here?

Do you feel people get ridiculed here?

Yes...periodically. And the comments carry over to other threads. But that's just people.

Obsolete
    And they're no damn good anyway so there you have it.

Let's work on the ridicule issue, perceived or real.

Let's work on the ridicule issue, perceived or real.
    My comments were in agreement with Rek50's thoughts, so I guess maybe I'm not the only one that perceives that concept...whether it is real or perceived.

It's probably more productive to let it go. There can be sooo much misunderstanding at times due to syntactical issues from typing thoughts versus the interpersonal interaction with actually talking with someone face to face...or even on the phone. Yes? No? Maybe so?

Now we're way off topic...

Obsolete
    What was the topic? :dont-know

What was the topic? :dont-know
    You effin' crack me up.

Obsolete
    That's quite often my goal.