Thread: JBL 030 system enclosures?

Question JBL 030 system enclosures?

I saw your site on the web and read that you have extensive experience with JBL speakers. I have a pair of these speakers and they are housed in 8 cubic ft. boxes as recommended by JBL when I built them in the early 70's. They sound amazing and just never die. The only drawback is the immense enclosure. When all I had was a sofa and a stereo, they were great. Now, they take up an awful lot of space and I would like to retain the drivers and crossovers and put them in a smaller box. JBL told me that any box between 4 and 12 cubic ft. would work fine when I built them. Do you know what other JBL speaker models used the 030 system? I would like to find a set of suitable enclosures that don't occupy one fourth of my living room! I have looked at purchasing smaller speakers, but everything I listen to that sounds comparable to these old JBL's is thousands of dollars. Any information you can give me on speaker models that used the 030 system would be IMMENSELY appreciated. I can be reached at [email protected] Thanks very much!

So, you are looking for some 030 system enclosure plans.
    Well, check out the JBL Library and look under Plans.
    Personally, I have been very happy with the C38 Enclosure.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-c39/page2.jpg

Baron030

THANKS!!

The C36 and C38 you reference in your reply look great! I don't suppose its possible to buy these enclosures anymore? Do you know what they called these models when they were sold new? You never know. I might get lucky and find a restorable set that just need new speakers and crossovers and I would be in there. These are about HALF the size of my current enclosures, not to mention better looking. You have helped out a lot and I appreciate it! Regards, Duffy

Unhappy OUCH!

Thanks so much for your response. I would have been all over those if I had seen them before the auction ended. Should you spot another pair, please think of me! Regards, Duffy

Well, you didn't know what you wanted until just now.

Start watching eBay. They show up occasionally.

Those were 38's, but that tells you what either go for of late....

What about DIY C-38s?

Hi Duffy
    Why don’t you try making your own C-38 enclosures? It’s a nice project.
    To be honest, my C-38 enclosures are actually home made. I made mine a very long time ago as a High School Wood shop class project. While my enclosures don’t look exactly like the JBL enclose that is pictured in my Avatar. They are very strikingly similar. Instead of the Oak finish pictured, mine have an “Irish Setter Red” mahogany finish and a dark brown grill cloth instead of the black pictured. And speaking of grill cloth, I tracked down a source for that old 50s style grill cloth. www.wendellfabrics.com/mellotone/
    Just follow the JBL plans to the letter and you can’t go wrong.
    Baron030

Build your own

To be honest, as a hopeless rock'n'roller who has played in garage bands since 1968, I have built so many cabinets that I'm just about worn out on the process. Recently made a couple of corner style boxes for a pair of D130's to use for PA speakers. For vocals they are about perfect. The idea of building something, furniture quality is a bit daunting. Also, if I can find a decent pair of empty cabinets, the price will probably be much less than today's cost of nice veneered plywood. If I can't find some original Barons like in your emails, I will eventually break down and build my own. I know that works because the 8 cu. ft. cabinets I made for mine 25 years ago sound better than just about everything!! Thanks for all of your help and if you see any Baron cabs worth saving, please let me know! Kindest Regards, Duffy

Thread Information