Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL's cannot take any power........

Thumbs down JBL's cannot take any power........

First pair i have owned.......one woofer the spiderand surround was loose(glue let go) from the voice coil, and had it reglued a couple days ago, now the surround on the other woofer has ripped.

NEVER had problems with other speaker brands i have used in the past except these.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike33
    First pair i have owned.......one woofer the spiderand surround was loose(glue let go) from the voice coil, and had it reglued a couple days ago, now the surround on the other woofer has ripped.

NEVER had problems with other speaker brands i have used in the past except these.......

..Am I reading this right? Have you ever been to a live concert in the last 10 years? Are you actually saying JBL's cannot handle POWER?!?!? WTF? If anything JBL= HIGH SPL!!! Don't dismiss the brand cause you're having issues with 1 pr of subs. I'm curious to know what model number you're bitching about- I bet ANYTHING they were old enough to justify new surrounds before driving them hard. And glue is glue- fix it and go on. Perhaps you are the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face

..Am I reading this right? Have you ever been to a live concert in the last 10 years? Are you actually saying JBL's cannot handle POWER?!?!? WTF? If anything JBL= HIGH SPL!!! Don't dismiss the brand cause you're having issues with 1 driver. Maybe you are the problem....
    With one driver??
    Try both drivers........

With one driver??
    Try both drivers........
    I edited- doesn't matter. You're talking about a single model that I bet is capable of shaking your house from the foundation if repaired/driven properly.

I edited- doesn't matter. You're talking about a single model that I bet is capable of shaking your house from the foundation if repaired/driven properly.
    Driving them with a 4B NPB Bryston and a Sansui 9090DB as the pre or a Krell KSP-7B as the pre.
    They do not shake the foundation because they blow up before getting close to that, i would say anything after 60wpc and they are toast......
    Maybe i will part them out if there is a market for L80T parts.
    One driver has been reglued and new dustcap put on and the other one has a 2" tear in the surround.
    Tweeters/mids are fine, if anyone is interested.......

Driving them with a 4B NPB Bryston and a Sansui 9090DB as the pre or a Krell KSP-7B as the pre.
    They do not shake the foundation because they blow up before getting close to that, I would say anything after 60wpc and they are toast......
    Maybe i will part them out if there is a market for L80T parts.
    One driver has been reglued and new dustcap put on and the other one has a 2" tear in the surround.
    Tweeters/mids are fine, if anyone is interested.......
    Surround replacement is inevitable (about every 15 years with regular use). Welcome to the real world of vintage speakers. You won't get a driver to do much with a torn surround - except self destruct.

Surround replacement is inevitable (about every 15 years with regular use). Welcome to the real world of vintage speakers. You won't get a driver to do much with a torn surround - except self destruct. I'm reading and re-reading your set up compared to your speakers...did you come accross the Bryston for cheap or did you think you could have similar performance from the model JBL's in question. Or are you talking ??
    For the record, the surround was fine before and now it's not, seems these drivers are not meant to take any bass.....

Yes of course why would anybody think you can do anything with a torn surround??
    Why would the Bryston be cheap??
    The Bryston is an amplifier incase you do not know.
    Why would i be talking b.s.? bizarre....

Well the L80's are just entry level backround music speakers. If you forked out the coin for Bryston and Krell step up to the plate for some Jbl 4331-4333-4343-4345 if you want a live concert experiance and start living!!! This does not mean you can neglect regular service on these bad boys. Take care of their needs and believe me they will take care of you.

"Shaking the house from the foundation" may be a stretch, but get your drivers properly resurrounded and they'll likely perform just fine.

Vintage 1985 - 1988 with indeterminate history, I'd say they needed service before expecting to crank 'em. They may be 20 years old.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L80T%20ts.pdf

Get some JBL's with 15" WOOFERS if you want bass to rock.

4430's would be a reasonable start....

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Well the L80's are just entry level backround music speakers. If you forked out the coin for Bryston and Krell step up to the plate
    Exactly my point. Thanks for translating, John .

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    "Shaking the house from the foundation" may be a stretch, but get your drivers properly resurrounded and they'll likely perform just fine.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L80T%20ts.pdf

Get some JBL's with 15" WOOFERS if you want bass to rock.

4430's would be a reasonable start....
    Perhaps it was- but I said that BEFORE he mentioned what kind of speakers he had. ...just got a little fired up.

This is a funny post. Maybe you should have done your homework before you turned on the system. L80t has a 10" woofer and won't make 20hz and below like you seem to be after. Your electronics sound like you spent thousands of dollars....you spent a couple or a few hundred on worn speakers. The L80t does just fine when used as intended....and has been maintained rather than abused. Buy some speakers that will do what you intend to do to them....pound on you. Build or buy something with at least two 15" woofers....or in your case, 18".....then you can attempt to blow those up too.....have fun...when you can no longer hear....you can no longer bitch.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete

JBL's cannot take any power........

Welcome to 125/127 ownership.

You guys blow more of them damn things!
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    The L80t does just fine when used as intended....and has been maintained rather than abused.
    Absolutely.

QUOTE: 'For the record, the surround was fine before and now it's not, seems these drivers are not meant to take any bass.....'
    What do you define as 'fine'. Intact? I bet it was fragile from age despite that fact it may have looked fine. Try a new surround. Remember it's only a 10", though. You'll never be able to drive it real hard.

QUOTE: 'Why would the Bryston be cheap??'
    They are never cheap. That's why I cannot understand why you went with cheaper JBL speakers. Seems like a mismatch in quality.

QUOTE: 'The Bryston is an amplifier incase you do not know.'
    No sh!t? I thought they made smoke detectors and gas masks. Point is- why the nice amp and the entry level speakers??

QUOTE: 'Why would i be talking b.s.? bizarre..'
    Here's something bizarre: A guy becomes a member of this site only to dis a pair of broken down JBLs that were never intended to be paired with the quality of componets he's using..

Obsolete
    Here's something bizarre: A guy becomes a member of this site only to dis JBL.
    It's happened before.

Thread Information