Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 066 tweeter

066 tweeter

I have a bad tweeter (066) that I'm wanting to take apart, and attempt a repair. Problem is- I don't know how. There are three pins that appear to be holding the magnet sections together. I assume this is the only way "in". Can anyone give me any insight??

One more qustion: What (if any) parts are replaceable so that I can get it working again??

Unless you can snag a kit that someone has your in trouble. JBL dosen't have anymore. Maybe someone here can advise you if there is an alternative. There is no aftermarket available that I know of.

That sucks. It's a nice tweeter (when working).Anyone know of a good alternative to slip in my L212's?? Giskard?

You might be able to go with 044 tweeters if they fit. The 044 takes a 4 3/4" hole for mounting and three holes through the baffle.

Beyond that good luck on eBay. Being a legacy item expect to be fleeced.

Guess now's the time to bypass and prop up the Smith horn I've been lusting after (especially after hearing "norealtalent's" the other day) Thanks...

pelly3s
    well i might have one at the shop still. i sent one to another forum member a while back. let me check on monday and see if there is one left.

transducergeek

066, want one with some really bad dents?

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I have a bad tweeter (066) that I'm wanting to take apart, and attempt a repair. Problem is- I don't know how. There are three pins that appear to be holding the magnet sections together. I assume this is the only way "in". Can anyone give me any insight??

One more qustion: What (if any) parts are replaceable so that I can get it working again??
    I have a "working" 066, but looks horrible, smashed and dented.. $20.00 as-is. Thanks, Rolf.

I just fixed one badly dented one by just sucking the dent out.Fyi the average for a pair on ebay is over 200$.There are 2 pairs right now under jbl/vintage one pair is at 10${one is dented} the other pair is higher but I forget how high.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    That sucks. It's a nice tweeter (when working).Anyone know of a good alternative to slip in my L212's?? Giskard?
    I think I have a kit or two left. I'll get back to you when I have time to dig through some boxes. I might have used all my kits up for Audiobeer's huge restoration project.

066 in need of repair

Being new here I thought I would see if there are any available kits for the 066. I have a pair and one of the leads broke due to my coffee drinking skills (one too many cups).

If anyone knows of a kit, or has one, please let me know.

Thanks

mrmuse
    (Gregg)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmuse
    Being new here I thought I would see if there are any available kits for the 066. I have a pair and one of the leads broke due to my coffee drinking skills (one too many cups).

If anyone knows of a kit, or has one, please let me know.

Thanks

mrmuse
    (Gregg)

If the lead is broken , and that is it's only issue- it's well worth the effort to salvage it any way you can. I eventually tore mine down and salvaged what I thought was a "bad" tweeter- turns out the lead was loose. I was also able to reshape a punched in dome and touch it all up a bit. If there are any kits available- they will be expensive- trust me. You might be better off buying a whole different 066 tweeter for the same money...

"Cabaret Freak," a sub-category addiction.

[Heh, heh....]

066 Tweeter

I'm just afraid the old "coffee shakes" will set in again and I will screw things up worse..

Let me tell you what I am ultimately looking for.

I have 3 D-130's (Raw, need recone) 1 D-130 w/broken lead that works great with lead attached. 2-2425's (1 w/ new diaphram) (1 in need of new diaphram). 1 2110 in need of recone. 2 E-110's both work great, 1 needs cone repair/replace, and the other has an aftermarket recone, looks ugly, sounds great, 1 8in.116H with fresh recone from authorized JBL dealer (Circuit Shop in Grand Rapids Mi.), then the 2-066's one working perfectly, other has the broken lead. I also have 5 other 15's (various old ones that I use now) all in very good condition.

I want to sell/trade for a pair of quality 18's or bass 15's. I (in my true dumbness) got rid of mine and need to load a set of old JBL cinema cabs with them. These to pair up with my 4628's in a four way system.

I would rather see all these get good homes. I've sold equipment on Ebay and just didn't like the feeling I got. This would be for my studio at home.

If I'm in the wrong spot, please point me in the right direction, or if anyone is interested, just reply back to this post.

Thanks again,

Gregg
    mrmuse

Quote Originally Posted by mrmuse
    I'm just afraid the old "coffee shakes" will set in again and I will screw things up worse..

Let me tell you what I am ultimately looking for.

I have 3 D-130's (Raw, need recone) 1 D-130 w/broken lead that works great with lead attached. 2-2425's (1 w/ new diaphram) (1 in need of new diaphram). 1 2110 in need of recone. 2 E-110's both work great, 1 needs cone repair/replace, and the other has an aftermarket recone, looks ugly, sounds great, 1 8in.116H with fresh recone from authorized JBL dealer (Circuit Shop in Grand Rapids Mi.), then the 2-066's one working perfectly, other has the broken lead. I also have 5 other 15's (various old ones that I use now) all in very good condition.

I want to sell/trade for a pair of quality 18's or bass 15's. I (in my true dumbness) got rid of mine and need to load a set of old JBL cinema cabs with them. These to pair up with my 4628's in a four way system.

I would rather see all these get good homes. I've sold equipment on Ebay and just didn't like the feeling I got. This would be for my studio at home.

If I'm in the wrong spot, please point me in the right direction, or if anyone is interested, just reply back to this post.

Thanks again,

Gregg
    mrmuse
    Hey Greg,

Perhaps you should re-write that list of stuff in an easy to read format and post it in our forum marketplace section. Be sure to include all your pricing. I'm sure somebody may want at least something from that pile. Also, try a WTB (wanted to buy) ad oulining exactly what you are looking for. That will yield the best results. Click the "new thread" button (in blue) located in the upper left corner in the following categories:

All Lansing (JBL/Altec) related gear bought and sold post here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...isplay.php?f=5

All other general audio post here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=58

Good luck. It's not mandatory, but small donations to the sight are highly welcomed.

About the 066- have you connected the broken lead to a tester? Where is the lead broken- near the coil or near the terminal? Got a pic? Ever tried to kick your caffeine addiction? Was your dad a construction worker? Is it raining there?

Will redo the post here shortly.

Here is a pic. My mistake....Both leads are broke.

Gregg

Thread Information