Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY 500Hz Smith Horn? Please help me design one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    The drivers are branded Pioneer and some other name, Elite or similar. They closely resemble the TAD 4001 and 2001, but were made before Pioneer settled on the TAD brand name.
    Originally the high end Pioneer products were all called Pioneer Exclusive. Later they were called TAD. The ET-703 tweeter is the only product to survive from the early days. The current ET-703s are still labeled both Pioneer Exclusive and TAD.

Widget

Thanks johnaec, that explains it. Sure wish we knew who made those horns. I'll have to take some pictures of the Locanthi horns the next time my friend is in town.

Exclusive, that's it! Thanks Mr. Widget; I couldn't think of that name to save my life.

RIP 2009
    The only thing that concerned me about those black "Smith" horns on eBay is that unlike original Smith horns, the ones on eBay had no vertical flare. Maybe it's insignificant - I don't know...

John

Maron Horonzakz
    Its not significant.

These horns are/were mine. I bought them with some other drivers from the Seattle Rep Theater, which is a large playhouse downtown.
    I can probably answer a few questions or take a few more measurements if anyone is interested, but I will need to pack and ship them out as soon as payment clears.
    As far as construction is concerned the fins are mdf, the top and bottom look to be baltic birch, and the sides and support pieces are mdf. The fronts are curved 1/4 plywood. I can't get in and look at the exact shape of the fins.
    I received one note from the auction that said the horns were probably built by MSD Audio which closed its doors around 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Hi guys,

I thought I had posted the original article by Dr. Smith, "A Distributed-Source Horn" on the forum in the past. I couldn't find it in a search however, so here it is. Note that Dr. Smith mentions that his design was to be used above 750Hz., even though it has an exponential flare constant of 375Hz. This is very conservative design of the old school, no doubt intended to avoid the response ripples of a finite exponential horn down near cutoff. My guess is that his design could be reworked for a 2" throat and a slower flare rate and still have a reasonably compact horn. Smith horns were built to cover different frequency ranges in the 1950s; I have seen pictures of at least one system using three different sized Smith horns plus a woofer section.

People are often confused by what looks like a rounded triangular section in the throat in the drawing. It is only there to show the angles of the "torpedo" dividers, not to indicate a solid structure.

Sorry for the crummy photocopy- not my work. I have the magazine, so if there is interest I can make better scans from the original.
    Hello,
    I'm trying to build a Smith horn and it would be very helpful if you could send me some better scans of the article.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jacopuzzo View Post
    Hello,
    I'm trying to build a Smith horn and it would be very helpful if you could send me some better scans of the article.
    Thanks in advance
    Whoa - that post was from almost 2 years ago!
    There are other scans of Smith Horns in the forums - best bet is to do a Search for them and see what you come up with - ... like this:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...earchid=964154

or THIS!
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ht=smith+horns

and then check THIS!
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ht=smith+horns

Lotsa info here!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information