Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While we're at it.....

While we're at it.....

I confess that I'm not the electronic tinkering type, but a wrench on a motorcycle, I can do. AND if this thread doesn't belong here, sorry.....

How about a forum listing services available that could be provided by members for a fee of course.
    ie:

Woodworking,
    Electronics,
    re-foam/re-cone,
    grills
    etc.

I read with interest about re-doing crossovers with new and better parts, but I gotta tell ya, I'm not going to stick a soldering iron on my crossovers because I know I'd screw 'em up. Then I'd really be up the creek......no music. However, I would be more than willing to pay someone here to do the job. I'm sure there are others here too in the same "boat" as me.

What say you?
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Probably not a bad idea. I would assume such a thread should live in the Market Place as a "Sticky". Let's see if others want to chime in.

Widget

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Probably not a bad idea. I would assume such a thread should live in the Market Place as a "Sticky". Let's see if others want to chime in.

Widget
    I think its a great idea, I always have something that needs doing. And id rather pay a member here than the local thief. he is ok just slower than hell. sometimes up to 6 months to get a repair done, but is the only show in town.

I've thought about it a bit more and there are potential conflict of interest issues and potential presumed or real endorsement issues.

There are many issues that would need to be dealt with to keep this fair for all concerned.

Another thing to think about is that the vast majority "problems" we have had over the years have been when members get tangled up in dealings relating to the "Market Place". Unless we can come up with a set of guidelines that can make a services listing a benefit to all without increasing the likelihood of causing problems between members, we shouldn't do it.

I think a simple listing of services offered and locations with no room for comments or endorsements might work.

Widget

No concern that we'd get flooded with commercial interests wanting to do free advertising here?

If someone wants a crossover built or a cabinet refinished, they might simply post accordingly, and interested members respond via PM, as has been occasional practice here.

If we're gonna set up classifieds, they should generate income for the forum and the person managing them....

Most of it is word of mouth and reputation much like any business in any other industry.

I am not sure how it would work over here but over on Diyaudio.com they run Banners for sponsors products. Have any businesses made donations?

An aternative would be to list Forum useful Links (hyperlinks) to www addresses that offer relevent services.

At any rate members appeared to be particularly resourceful in seeking out assistance without the need for listings or advertising.

Ian

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    At any rate members appeared to be particularly resourceful in seeking out assistance without the need for listings or advertising.

Ian
    Agreed

norealtalent
    I'm with Ian on this one. If you want/need it, post it. There are plenty of knowledgeable and experienced people here willing to help. Whether that help is simply pointing in the right direction or actually manifesting the goods/services needed, anything one needs can be obtained through members here, if you do the homework. "How can you have any pudding if you won't eat your meat?"

Somewhat off topic and not directed at any specific individual: For those who are so concerned about the continued maintenance of this site, MAKE A DONATION. We need the support of members who recognize and appreciate the priceless value of what we have here, not another capitalistic commodity to be exploited by entrepreneurial wannabees posting half assed goods and services for profit. That is NOT what this site is for.

Just My Opinion

I see Invstbiker's point, You come to the site, it takes very little time to get very excited about everything JBL and you want to "get started".

But it has also been standard LHS, for members to join hang out for a while get to know the other members. This way you at least get a good idea of who does what on the site. Or you find some one you can ask.

The thing I see that could go wrong is we (LHS) put some names of people up who want to do this and then one or some of those people can not do it, do not have time or somthing else.
    So the person who is interested in some services would maybe get a little upset and say " but thier name is up there, why wont they do it?"
    I still think it better to stay with "The way it has been". It really does not take very long to meet some forumites who can direct you to the proper place!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I also agree. I have taken on a couple of projects for fellow forum members, but I would never include myself in a list of services. For me, as most of us, this is a hobby and the last thing I want is to be inundated with requests.

The natural filtering that occurs by requiring people read through the various threads has certainly worked for me.

Widget

I don't have any real talents but I'm always up for making a buck. I'd be in favor of this if there were a "grab bag" category where talentless goobers could get paid to do something surprising.

Otherwise, I think the meaningful exchanges take place here through channels that are already open.
    Out.

Dome,

I'm glad you posted that... we have been looking for a talentless goober. I had no idea where to look.

Widget

...at your service

-grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I'd be in favor of this if there were a "grab bag" category where talentless goobers could get paid to do something surprising.
    Sometimes, ya jus' KILL me, man!

I'd love to work with fellow members on some projects in my area where we just got together for a couple of weekends or nights to build up something or modify a system or two. But a commercial enterprise has many pitfalls and promises. A real potential for trouble exists.

But on that note I would be willing to help anyone in the Philly - Wilmington build a system as long as they buy the materials and the pizza.

Thread Information