View Poll Results: Do we need a dedicated sub-forum for "Amps, preamps and EQ's"

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea!! Shoulda done this long ago.

25 69.44%
  • No need - I don't want anyone's advice on this. I'm here for JBL!!

9 25.00%
  • What is an EQ, anyway?

2 5.56%
  • Abstain. :dont-know

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers, preamps and EQ's Sub-Forum

Amplifiers, preamps and EQ's Sub-Forum

Doods and doodettes...

The (relative... ) success of the DIY sub-forum has me thinking. There is a never-ending slew of questions on amps, preamps and EQ's - the mere volume of which suggest there might be need for a dedicated sub-forum. Hell - I don't even know if we can get this to pass muster, but stuffing all this into the "Off Topic", an area otherwise reserved for awkward discussions of politics, earthquakes and not enough sex, make them less easily reviewed.

What say ye, membership?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Doods and doodettes...

The (relative... ) success of the DIY sub-forum has me thinking. There is a never-ending slew of questions on amps, preamps and EQ's - the mere volume of which suggest there might be need for a dedicated sub-forum. Hell - I don't even know if we can get this to pass muster, but stuffing all this into the "Off Topic", an area otherwise reserved for awkward discussions of politics, earthquakes and not enough sex, make them less easily reviewed.

What say ye, membership?
    Agreed Bo. It just makes sense that to squeeze every bit of performance out great transducers, you have to feed them right. As the old adage acknowledges - "Garbage in, Garbage out".

Personally, I get limited enjoyment listening to signals from science class coin-and-wet-cardboard batteries and a code key. I think my JBL's sound better and way more interesting when I use amplifiers and their associated equipment.

"Sounds" like an indispensable topic to me. I vote yes.

Clark in Peoria

PS Matching speakers to amps is a vital topic with most models and a non topic with some. Just because my JBL's don't seem picky is not reason enough to loose interest in the subject.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Tough one

On one hand, it's good to see what other people use and suggest, on another hand, it's cause for a lot of opinions on nonLH stuff (for the most part), on another hand, it might break the somewhat unified theme of LH into NAD vs. Adcom vs. Mac vs. Crown vs. Pioneer vs. ????, and on the final hand, it could promote better utilization of JBL products.

On balance, though, I'd have to say, "No."
    Out.

Well what are we here for?? Do we want to start opening different catagories or just keep threads like that in Off Topic. If we do that we are opening the door to becoming just another AA or AR. I think we should keep the forums focused towards Lansing Heritage and not open them up like that. What's next wires????

JMHO Rob

Good idea Bo.

Well there had to be a n......... in the wood pile.

I think its a good idea but don't say I said so..

We're here to get the best out of the Lansing Heritage stuff and enjoy it

Put stuff like , Add Crossover ,RTA and Clio in there unless someone ???? thinks they are irrelevent. JBL is related to Pro applications and JBL products include these product lines..Urie Eq.....etc.

There need to be education, the good and bad, review and experiences.

I like the idea as well.

We do have a very good crossover from JBL that alot of people use here and that would just be another reason to have it in its own area.
    I say YES

FWIW...

Well, it would make it simpler to ignore (or concentrate on) if it was all in once place...

Frankly, just the action of categorizing Off Topic material gives it more weight
    than matters to me.

I'd guess that doing so would encourage interest/volume in topics that are more than
    sufficiently covered elsewhere (and appropriately so).

Waffly "no" is my response, but if someone has the time to set it up...it won't kill
    me either.

-grumpy

(assuming Off Topic implies that the equipment is not Altec/Urei/JBL/...) ?

I certainly don't think measurement technology should be lumped in with amps and preamps.

Not sure about EQ's and crossovers, either....

Tuners go with preamps, I'd assume. What about Playstation CD's?

Good idea Bo-

Crossovers (and how they relate to JBL products) is a must IMO.

However, I think "DIY" is too vague and broad- especially since most of the stuff we do is classified as DIY.

I think having a category dedicated to amps and such is good for two reasons: For those who care not to be bothered by the topic- it will be removed from other threads. For those who wish to rant rave and query about amps- they have a place to go without interfering in the other thread topics. Like it or not- it will tidy up the threads a bit.

I think creating a bunch of specific categories is a very good thing. It will not occupy much space to implement. It will not encourage people to post more- just put it in the proper place is all. It also keeps threads focused and easier to read.

Extra categories could draw in more members because it makes the forum easier to navigate. (=traffic/donation/funding $$). I know it's about LH- but there's a lot to consider when you run a forum like this.

I've also noticed I can find out about something purely by accidental reading in a thread that is not at all related to the information I discovered. How do we fix that?? Can a single posting be removed and placed in a more appropriate category which it relates to? The search function is good- but I don't always find what I'm looking for by using search.

FWIW: LH is not just speakers. I'm sure he would agree...

I would vote no.

I think it would get to easy to fall into the trap of needing a page for preamps, than need one for amps, then wires, then stands, then saws, then music, then banana plugs....
    I see off topic as off topic.

Thank you all for a wonderful site. I learn something every time I visit.
    Kevin.

As much as I love electronics, I think we are fine with what is now, so I vote for JBL.

Rolf

Obsolete

Amplifiers, preamps and EQ's Sub-Forum

JBL & Altec electronics right? Urei perhaps as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    JBL & Altec electronics right? Urei perhaps as well?
    THAT I could go with
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I agree with Rob... besides we all know Bo likes QSC and Ian likes DIY amps. That's fine. Thread closed, end of story.

I agree with Giskard too... Altec and JBL amps makes sense, this isn't an all audio discussion board and shouldn't be one. The dalliances into amps, wires, cars, and even politics are fine in the proportion we have them.

Widget

Thread Information