Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parts from famous custom monitors rescued

lfh

Baffle, pt 2

Note the tape residual below the horn: Probably a mix engineer or room tuner decided to absorb some HF that might have hit the horn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lfh

Baffle, pt 3

Poor little monitor, don´t cry, soon you´ll be well and shake some booty again

lfh

Discussion

The long term plan is to rebuild those monitors. What´s left of the baffle gives many hints on driver localization and type (the cat eye is only there for the show). Of course I´ll keep the baffle as a "certificate of authenticity".

The short term plan (ongoing) is to build Q&D Modular Mains. I´ll update this thread whenever I have reliable technical info about the original incarnation of the speakers to share.

Dude.... get it right:

Hey - wasn't he on MST3k

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Dude.... get it right:
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

lfh
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Dude.... get it right:

lfh

Lightbulb Aha!

I bet they started out as TM-1 style monitors and were modified later on!

First look at the pic from the inauguration (original link). Even though the pic is small, it's clear that there are no EV T-350:s below the horns at this time. Instead it looks like it's the standard round opening of the time for a 1" driver.

lfh
    Then look at the rear-side of the baffle in a previous post of mine:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...0&postcount=30

There's a large round hole half way through the baffle (just below the wooden horn). This arrangement seems unnecessary for just mounting a T-350, but it makes sense when mounting a 2420 like this:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...83&postcount=9

Also note that the hole is partly covered by the horizontal piece of wood -- further evidence that the monitors have been modified.

lfh
    Next look at the front-side of the baffle (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=31). There are two sets of radiuses for woofers that are not coincident; one in the horizontal wood beam with a large c/c distance, the other (only one is visible to the right) with a smaller c/c distance. The centers for the latter pair are located well within the wooden horn edges, just as is the case for TM-x.

lfh
    Below is a comparision between the presumed original configuration and the later incarnations of the monitors (control room A and B shown). It looks like the mid is an 8" driver and not a 10" as in my above "reconstruction".

lfh

EV T-350

Yep, the T-350 is 7-1/4" wide (I'll compare the mounting holes to those of the baffle ASAP):

T-350 spec, part 1

T-350 spec, part 2

Edit:

Guess where Google found the data sheets: At Romy the Cat's site...

lfh

2110 used as mid?

It looks like it could be 2110:s:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-comp/2110.htm

AFAICT this was primarily a SR driver, but judging from old DIY magazine articles, the 2110 was popular with the Hi-Fi crowd in Sweden back in the days.

MST-3K.......the only other initials as close to my heart as JBL...

It is great that you were able to salvage these historic "parts"!

I am unashamedly a huge ABBA fan and appreciate their artistic work and the technical work of Michael B Tretow.

Apparently when they worked on THE VISITORS album, first album to be recorded digitally on the new 3M Digital System, Michael B remarked that the digital recordings where giving the monitor system a thrashing. Well, listen to "The Day Before You Came" and you will hear what he refers to.
    "Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon..." Anonymous

Thread Information