Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts from famous custom monitors rescued

Big Orange Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    ... the designer told me that the stepped baffle trim detail was due more to aesthetics than any particular diffraction issue.

Widget
    Did the designer say what those big orange cabs behind the drumkit were for?
    Don't think I've seen those kind of monitors before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

They weren't there the day I was at the studio... they may have been brought in for a session?

Widget

THESE ! are the orange monitors in the background .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The mid driver is a 375 with a Be diaphragm.
    Widget
    Widget, I would like to bring this up again. It was discussed in another thread and I already try to get an answer from this chinese Be Diaphragm supplier. Until now without success.

http://www.xkoncord.com/big5/list04.htm

Ok, maybe this company only sell to wholesalers but where are these wholesalers? Didn't you once tried to track them down?

It looks like Rey audio products (Kinoshita Japan) using TAD and Davis speakers.
    Very nice.
    stephane
    Regards Stephane

lfh

Westlake, Augspurger, Van Haaff, Kinoshita, ...

The Kinoshita monitors certainly belong to the most exclusive segment of monitors, and is the brand used by Tom Hidley.

Here's an example of a (relatively) recent Hidley room: Bop Studios

lfh

The China Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    I already try to get an answer from this chinese Be Diaphragm supplier. Until now without success.
    The GF of a friend of mine has just moved to China for a one year assignment in Beijing. Once she's settled, we could ask her to contact them locally. (She's used to our crazy audio and car projects )

Quote Originally Posted by caladois
    It looks like Rey audio products (Kinoshita Japan) using TAD and Davis speakers.
    Very nice.
    stephane
    You got it, they look to me like the Warp-7, very high end monitors to leave sitting around on the floor.

here's more info:
    http://www.reyaudio.com/warp-e.html

and here's a pic of them in place at AVATAR-Studio D, New York in 1999:
    WARP-7, KM1V, HQS4200UPM
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Widget, I would like to bring this up again. It was discussed in another thread and I already try to get an answer from this chinese Be Diaphragm supplier. Until now without success.

http://www.xkoncord.com/big5/list04.htm

Ok, maybe this company only sell to wholesalers but where are these wholesalers? Didn't you once tried to track them down?
    I did... I made a few inquiries and then failed to follow through with my last lead. I am not currently in need of them so the incentive was a bit low to place this high on the priority list.

Try the Chinese route directly. Good luck and keep us posted.

Widget

lfh

It's a small world...

Today we had the first meeting with the studio designer. I had sent him a rough spec of the listening room, but I had not stated what mains we had in mind. Knowing that he works alot with Genelec these days, I was curious about his reaction to the proposed old-school approach. I showed him the pic of the horns I've posted here, and he immediately recognized them. This is no big surprise per se, since he's been designing and tuning studios since the 70:s and must have visited Polar many times, but the funny part is that he was the one that bought them, and later auctioned them off! He might still have info on the old monitors in his archive, like crossover schematics, frequency plots etc.

There was no time to discuss monitor design in detail this time around, but I think he got quite enthusiastic about this route. For example he showed us some measurements of a room he has worked on recently that has a typical 2x15"+2" TAD system, with a digital crossover and ditto EQ.

So far so good. Next step is to check with the CFO and CEO how crazy we may get with the floating floor and walls, diffusors, absorbers, bass traps, speaker components and electronics...

Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    You got it, they look to me like the Warp-7, very high end monitors to leave sitting around on the floor.

here's more info:
    http://www.reyaudio.com/warp-e.html

and here's a pic of them in place at AVATAR-Studio D, New York in 1999:
    WARP-7, KM1V, HQS4200UPM
    Thanks for the info; I just ordered a pair.

Shit, after I give them my credit card I find THIS! (no more WARP 7 in Studio D; Westlake gets the nod. I wonder if I can get my money back...)

SSL-9072J and Westlake BBSM-15 Integral in Redesign
    NEW YORKAVATAR Studios, New York's premier tracking and mixing facility, is proud to announce the completion of its redesigned 'D' studio. One of the four main studios, 'D' took three months to refit and now boasts AVATAR's second SSL-9000 series console and Westlake BBSM-15 monitors.

Acoustically and architecturally, AVATAR's Chief Engineer Ken Bailey had the challenge of "tightening" up the room in an attempt to make it more listening and worker friendly. "We want this room to be an overdub/mix room and that's what we set out to achieve," explains Bailey. Major reconstruction and acoustic treatment of the entire front wall including soffit mounted Westlake BBSM-15 speakers done by long time in-house carpenter Vinny Sofia. Bailey explains that the back wall was moved in and "a combination of acoustic treatments and calculated construction were used to provide proper low frequency 'trapping,' something this room really needed. Vinny also gave the room a new visual by using a very slick black stain on all the woodwork. It's a whole new world."

The Westlake BBSM-15's which were chosen as Studio D's main monitors are a 3-way design incorporating dual 15" high performance woofers, 10" midbass drivers and 1" compression tweeters. The soffit mounted monitors are being bi-amplified via the systems internal passive high level crossover with amplification from a single Crown MacroTech for the low frequency and a pair of Bryston 7B monoblocks for the mid and high frequencies.

Really nice info and pics!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Ron

lfh

It´s about time to "bump" this thread

Quote Originally Posted by lfh View Post
    So far so good. Next step is to check with the CFO and CEO how crazy we may get with the floating floor and walls, diffusors, absorbers, bass traps, speaker components and electronics...
    For now, let´s say we got quite crazy (More on this later)

On request, find below a pic of the rear, showing the old style mounting surface (i.e. no 2328 throat used).

lfh

Baffle, pt 1

Someone was hell bent those part should never come apart (lots of screws, nails, glue and silicone used).

Thread Information