Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Up...Power Down

Power Up...Power Down

Just wondering if most of you turn on and off your gear when not in use and if you obey the proper 'on/off' sequence.

Or like me do you never turn off your gear.

Have you ever lost gear due to not using it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    one DBX 118 dynamic range enhancer after 10 years in storage

JBL 4645
    Just wondering if most of you turn on and off your gear when not in use and if you obey the proper 'on/off' sequence.

Let me guess what you’re really asking? You want to know if we have thumping sounds when powering up certain amplifiers or audio processors.

The answer is yes.

But! If I power up and power down in the correct way then thumps will not be heard, which is what I always do.

I power up processors first and amps last.
    I power down the amps first and the processors last.

It’s that simple! And I’ve had the home cinema turned ON for the past few days back three days! No I wasn’t running a DVD/laserdisc/bluray marathon, just had other things on my mind and I wanted to keep it all turned on, because it takes a good 20 minutes for the Alesis amps to warm up.

Also it’s what I leaned when I was projectionist, to turn on the Dolby CP65 first and the amps ON one at time.

Look at the Furman sequencer at the center of this rack... no more thumping problems and a remote power up/down capability
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Look at the Furman sequencer at the center of this rack... no more thumping problems and a remote power up/down capability
    What does that do put some delay on the auto powering up and down?
    It cost less to do it manually I mean how much does it cost?

I don’t need to look at the site I sussed that there are 6 amps and A B C D F E on the Furman sequencer.

Its like I said.

I’m more curious what the whole rack is used for. Doesn’t look like cinema because I don’t see Dolby dts SDDS processor in that rack. So what’s it used for?
    Hmm, there is an odd pattern on one of the EQ sliders. Also the dbx drive rack which can only do I think its two channels.
    Looks like a few amps are in bridge mode from the look of the left hand volume control.

You miss nothing

It's for a theater (not movie theater) of a resort here.
    From the top of the rack that you don't see are 10 SGM dimmers for lighting, then the Furman sequencer for audio with 6 outputs of 120V 20A switched with a 3 second delay between them.
    Under is a Furman voltage regulator for all the electonics in this rack and the supply to the control room equipment, then the driverack for FOH, then one simple EQ for FOH as well (the customer wanted an EQ besides the driverack, don't ask).
    Under are EQ/limiters for the two channels of floor monitors.
    Then one stereo amp for the 4 JBL SRX715 HF portion, one bridged for the left two SRX 715 LF portion, the next for the right, then two bridged amps for one JBL SRX728S each, and the last stereo amp for floor monitors.

The A output of the furman is for the voltage regulator and electronics, the remaining 5 are for the amplifiers, obviously there's one output with two amps, if I remember well it's the first and last.

It's kind of a basic setup for hotels around here.

BTW, these amps are the worse $hit Crown ever produced, after two weeks they started failing and Crown sent me 6 new XTi no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

I don’t need to look at the site I sussed that there are 6 amps and A B C D F E on the Furman sequencer.

Its like I said.

I’m more curious what the whole rack is used for. Doesn’t look like cinema because I don’t see Dolby dts SDDS processor in that rack. So what’s it used for?
    Hmm, there is an odd pattern on one of the EQ sliders. Also the dbx drive rack which can only do I think its two channels.
    Looks like a few amps are in bridge mode from the look of the left hand volume control.

Some more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    BTW, these amps are the worse $hit Crown ever produced, after two weeks they started failing and Crown sent me 6 new XTi no questions asked.
    Do they happen to say "Made in China" on the back?

We've ventured into this territory before with respect to the Crown XTis.

The Furman sequencer is a nice piece. I've used one in the big system I run for a friend's company on occasion. Furman makes a simpler 3-circuit/six-outlet conditioner/sequencer in a one-rack-space size starting under $300 with more sophisticated 6-step/channel units for under $400. I tried to check out the Carvin version but two times they sent one that was so damaged in transit I never got a chance to try it out. Poor packaging seemed to go along with the low price. The pull-out rack lights appear to be a great additional feature but were so cheap as to be nearly useless in person. On-sale now for $139 plus shipping: http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...=AC120S&cid=61
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I typically turn everything off at the end of a listening session... if I know I'll be coming back to listen later in the day, I'll usually leave it on though.

As for power up/down... my Symmetry crossover specifically states you should never turn it off, and the Audyssey Sub Equalizer I am using has no front panel power switch... it is also intended to be left powered up. Both of these devices draw fairly little power so leaving them on isn't much of a power issue... I suppose they are both meant to be left on so that people don't have to worry about power up/down sequencing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Do they happen to say "Made in China" on the back?

We've ventured into this territory before with respect to the Crown XTis.
    They were (they are discontinued since 2 or three years) made in China but this was not the issue.

In the Carribean resorts we have the big problem of moisture and saline air from the sea. Everything rots in a matter of months and these amps have a terrible airflow layout. The fans are located between two heat sinks directly on top of the PC board.
    The air flows through the complete unit, over the components and directly over the PC board. Also the heatsinks are live +/- 100V or more and some signal and sensing lines pass directly under them, or close to power lines.

When moisture and corrosion get in there all hell breaks loose.

The XTi line-up suffer from the same flaws but at much lesser degree, the fan is temperature controlled and works only when needed, the layout is less sensitive and the PC board is of excellent quality compared to the late XS series. However the XTi suffers from a terrible design flaw, there is no DC protection during the power-up routine wich can last up to 4 seconds. In these four seconds, a defective amp that outputs many volts DC at speaker terminals can badly damage a speaker.
    It's completely stupid, the microprocessor runs the protection scheme but if $hit hits the fan in the four seconds before it's completely booted up, it goes undetected.
    So far I had six D8R2431 toasted because of defective XTi 1000, a diaphragm that costs more than 100$. Not fun.
    Since then I had to put capacitors on the HF lines when using XTi1000 with bi-amped speakers.

The only low end Crown amplifier that holds his own is the entry level XLS line-up. Cheap, sturdy and reliable with a useable DC protection, the only drawback is that they don't do 2Ω stereo or 4Ω bridge.

I have the same Furman ASD120 in my main system. Even with six amps and two DBX crossovers and all the video junk it makes power up/down a one preamp button affair, with a wife and kids I consider it a must.

The best thing is the key! If I don't want anyone to use it, I turn it off and take the key.

The other small systems use Adcom sequencers, easy and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have the same Furman ASD120 in my main system. Even with six amps and two DBX crossovers and all the video junk it makes power up/down a one preamp button affair, with a wife and kids I consider it a must.

The best thing is the key! If I don't want anyone to use it, I turn it off and take the key.

The other small systems use Adcom sequencers, easy and simple.
    yeah, but for $640 it ought to brew beer for you too!

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-ASD-120...dp/B000YYYHJC/
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    yeah, but for $640 it ought to brew beer for you too!

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-ASD-120...dp/B000YYYHJC/
    Well, really it's not something you want for your house unless you're into big power. I mean, this unit is made to distribute 14.4kW of AC power... or about twice the max power capacity of my house breaker panel, wich is NEVER fully loaded

You can get a 1800W Furman PS8 wich is OK for home use, at around 200 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

Its like I said.
    I like having them, 'cause I don't like having all the gear in the same room with me. Anything that makes noise (music servers, DVRs, amps with fans) and anything I don't need to put media into (matrix switchers, surround processors, control gear, amps) migrates into racks in the basement, and is turned on & off when needed by the control system & power management. If I had to do it manually every time, it'd be a tedious chore. I also share sources between music systems/surround systems/house system, so automating that makes it easy & mistake-free.

There's even an automated emergency power-down when there's a brownout - the UPS tells the control system there's a problem, the control system signals the power management, & it brings down the components sequentially. Saves battery life on the UPSs, and saves gear from damage. The control system & alarm system can also send me a text message if I want, telling me there's a problem at the house.

In my studio, I also employ them, but not in the exact same way- certain pieces can be used at any time (computer, tape transports), but the racks of processing never power up until/unless the main mixer is turned on...then the mixer's current draw is sensed, and things turn on in sequence, plus the power amp cooling fans turn on at low speed (until they sense a high temp, then they automatically spin faster). When the mixer goes off, things turn off in reverse, and the fans stay on until interior temps reach ~ ambient temps. Yeah, it's possible to approach manually but pretty tedious if it wasn't automated. Power amps & sub, in this instance, are manually switched so I can easily use the mixer in headphone mode.

I fortunately didn't pay anything for mine, they were garbage picked & repaired, or removed from installations that were getting upgrades.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    When the mixer goes off, things turn off in reverse,
    I have a problem with this statement... if you turn off the mixer manually, and then the rest shuts off, the sequence is wrong!

It's OK to turn on the board first, but it has to be turned off last!

Thread Information