Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In With The New

In With The New

VR-4
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Ok, so I am showing my age or ignorance. What's a VR-4?

Vr-4

Von Schiekert Monitors Similar to watt/ puppy wilson. Had jbls for 30 years time to try something a bit diffrent. I have my frontroom again. Aboslute sound best buy ect ect.
    http://www.vonschweikert.com
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-07-2003 at 07:32 PM.
    Von Schweikert VR-8

You Traitor

Good luck with them. Would you post some photo's once you get them set-up. I have seen some scuttlebutt about them let us know what you think??

Rob

Trader

Trust me I woulnt have spent the money if I didnt feel they were worth it. They are not for everyone. They are spookey Thats for sure. Do a google search on them.
    Von Schweikert VR-8

The VR-4 was a well regarded speaker, but I cannot offer a personal opinion since I have not heard them. However, I remember very well the online debate that occurred in 1997-98 between Albert Von Schweikert and John Dunlavy of Dunlavy Audio Labs in the rec.audio.opinion newsgroup. I was a regular reader of that group at the time. Albert did not come out well in that debate. My opinion after reading the entire debate was that Albert is a quack - he lied about his credentials and spouted theories that had no relation to physical science. Nonetheless, the consensus opinion seemed to be that he lucked out with the VR-4 design and ended up with a decent sounding speaker.

Part of the debate is archived here:

http://home.austin.rr.com/tnulla/dunlavy7.htm

However, you have to do a Google Group search of "Dunlavy Von Schweikert" to get the whole story. Be forwarned, there are many hundreds of posts (much that are off topic) that you have to wade through to cover the whole debate.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

If it sounds like a duck and it's not a duck, that's hi fi.

I've heard the VR-3 quite a bit. Good speaker. Very natural, balanced, non-fatigueing; impressive sound stage. Uses rear-firing ambience tweeter, wide-range mid speaker carries a lot of the progam. The VR-4 is said to be a big leap beyond, so I'm looking forward to Mike's report.

David

set up

Im in the set up mode now. Im not rushing this one. Too bad the debate is only the defence side of dunlavy looking forward to hearing Alberts comments on the matter. The weak Link will be the front end Here. I am really looking forward to obtaining the best out of these units let me tell ya. will keep you posted.
    Von Schweikert VR-8

Re: Vr-4

Originally posted by MikeM
    Had jbls for 30 years time to try something a bit diffrent.
    Been there, done that.

"There's no place like home..."
    Dorothy
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jim henderson
    I live in Southern California and back in 1986 Al had a reputation for being the local audio guru. He had tons of different amps and drivers and was always trying out different combinations. He was very nice and generous with his time and helped me design a sound system for my 911, which sounded great. (Of course, you couldn’t really appreciate it unless the car was parked).

Trader

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Ok, so I am showing my age or ignorance. What's a VR-4?
    Just to let you guys know I havent stopped loving JBLs. as A matter of fact Iv begun collecting drivers for my next project 4355 modified Im goinfg to align the drivers coils ect and know a old mcintosh engineer that said he would give me a prototype crosover together. Will try 2" thich cabnets this time this will be my third 4350 pair ive built. link http://audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1070483292
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-09-2003 at 05:19 PM.
    Von Schweikert VR-8

Review

http://www.vonschweikert.com/reviews/AUDIOVOICE35.HTM
    If you have a couple of minutes please read this review of my new monitors. This is one of many.
    Do these compare with the guttsie sound of JBL large format Hell No. But intresting just the same
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-14-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    Von Schweikert VR-8

There are four copies of the review on one page, and it does not render correctly in Internet Explorer. I hope his speaker designs are better than his web design.

Type "ctrl+a" to select all of the text, then you can read the article.
    Last edited by Don C; 10-15-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Yeah, there is a left black margin, so You have to use Yr imagination, for that money they should correct it. I know Audax and Vifa, but could not make what the woofers are.

Alex.

I went to Von Schweikert's website to check out the specs on the VR-4. They claim to crossover to the tweeter at 500Hz That is the specified resonant frequency of that tweeter if you check it out on the Vifa website. I really doubt Von Schweikert's specs. I am not saying that the VR-4s are bad, I'll take MikeM's word for it that they are great, but they do seem to make some unrealistic claims. (JBL has never done that. )

I have heard that tweeter in other systems and it is good. If I were to go the dome and cone route today I would use the current top of the line SEAS Excel line that have been very successfully used by DIY and major label designers alike. Used in the $20K Joseph Audio Pearls, they sound fantastic.

Thread Information